Menu

6th grade science suggestions please

Science is my kids favorite subject but the only one that I have yet to find a curriculum that we love.  We've done RSO, RS4K, Elemental Sci, and a year of stuff I put together.  My dd is will be in 6th this year and I feel its time to start focusing a bit more.  She wants to go into some sort of equine management field so of course an understanding of science will be a must.

The reason we didn't like the above options was mainly the note-booking approaches used (I don't remember RS4K).  She is a hands on girl that really needs to get into it to understand it.  Lots of extra books just bog her down.  She needs simple, concise, and hands on to excel.

What do you suggest?

ETA-  Christian or Secular is fine

I believe ds will be going into a science field, and I will use BJU distance learning all 3 years of middle school and possibly some in high school. Mrs. Vick is the middle school teacher and makes science so interesting and come alive. BJU's science is thorough and rigorous.

Read this thread specifically about BJU's 7th grade course. 

I will check it out.  In the thread you mention that it isn't very hands on.  Is this because you didn't do that portion of the program or does it not come with hands on experiments?  Hands on is essential for my dd as she has severe anxiety that keeps her moving and doing all the time.

I was referring to that poster's choice between spending the money on the course or spending the money on a microscope. I feel that if she could only put the money on just one thing, the course is far more worth it. The courses can be very hands on if you get the supplies and do the experiments along with Mrs. Vick. If someone didn't want to do that, they could just watch her perform the experiments. 

I've already got the full 6th grade dvd course here for next year. Looking through the materials list, there are 2.5 pages of supplies needed to do the experiments, so I think there will be plenty to do. There are also 6 projects assigned throughout the year. 

The student activity manual is great. The 6th grade book has the full scientific method with the activities, a list of materials and the problem, a place to formulate your hypothesis, record results, and great questions to consider in the conclusion. There are graphic organizers to summarize information, study guides to help review for testing, interpreting graphs and data, vocabulary work, diagrams, etc. 

I was referring to that poster's choice between spending the money on the course or spending the money on a microscope. I feel that if she could only put the money on just one thing, the course is far more worth it. The courses can be very hands on if you get the supplies and do the experiments along with Mrs. Vick. If someone didn't want to do that, they could just watch her perform the experiments. 

I've already got the full 6th grade dvd course here for next year. Looking through the materials list, there are 2.5 pages of supplies needed to do the experiments, so I think there will be plenty to do. There are also 6 projects assigned throughout the year. 

Ahh, thank you for the clarification.  I've been on their site since you posted and the videos look great.  I think my dd would respond well to Mrs. Vick which is a huge bonus. :) 

The only downside I've seen so far is the cost.  $300 for one subject is pretty crazy.  However if it actually worked and encouraged her scientific discovery then it would be worth it.  I will continue looking at the program.

It is a lot of money, but since I think ds will end up in a science field, I know it will be worth it. Dd did the 7th grade course in 8th grade (because of the topic), and it was probably her favorite year of science. Ds was in 2nd grade, and he loved watching the videos, too. 

If you want to know any more specifics, I'll be glad to look things up for you. I decided to get the dvd course instead of online because we have a couple of family members who don't have internet. I can take it with me this way. It came with all the student and parent extra pages and schedules printed out for me, so it would be very easy. 

If you want to know any more specifics, I'll be glad to look things up for you. I decided to get the dvd course instead of online because we have a couple of family members who don't have internet. I can take it with me this way. It came with all the student and parent extra pages and schedules printed out for me, so it would be very easy. 

That's the option I am leaning to as well.  I talked with dd and she specifically said she doesn't like internet learning because she feels like it jumbles her brain. :)  I am the same way so I know what she means.  I've been going through the samples and so far I am impressed.  It seems like a very in depth program.  I will let you know if I have more questions.  It's always hard to get a feel for a program online.

I second BJU Science 6. My son is about 1/3 through it, and we are completely impressed. Dh and I both have careers in the science field, and more than one of our kids will probably go into science, too. Mrs. Vick manages to get far more information across than I could ever accomplish with the same materials. Whatever BJU charges is what I'll pay. lol

Jumping in here with a question...

I was planning to start using BJU Science at 7th grade. Would I be missing out on the 6th grade curriculum if I did so? I guess I thought the 6th grade Science Curriculum was like the lower elementary grades, but that things changed in 7th. Let me know if I'm wrong. I'll have to make some changes -- especially in finances, as I've already got things slated out perfectly for next year, but if it would be better to do 6th grade BJU Science than to jump in at 7th grade, I'd prefer that.

Thanks!

BJU 7th is a bit intense, so I feel like the 6th grade level will be a good transition for ds to get ready for it. I think it depends on what things you are already doing or will do to prepare for testing over larger amounts of material and such.