Menu

Has anyone used the CAT test from 1970 for a first grader?

pehp

We ordered this (not realizing it was from 1970--I only noted that when I pulled it out of the envelope). I did some cursory research and discovered that it is considered more rigorous than a similar test today. I figured I'd do it because why not? and I have it in hand (and our bar is set fairly low in my state anyhow, and I'm only testing this year to meet the state requirement, not for my own assessment purposes.) I am wondering if anyone has administered this to their child and whether you think that assessment is correct.  We are finished w/ 2/3 of it and it seemed really tough for my son so far (and I don't consider him 'behind'--he's pretty bright, although not very fast and he is used to Miquon math which is quite different from the 1970 CAT math).  The time limits in particular seem very slim in proportion to the material covered.  My son has worked steadily through each one and didn't finish one reading section and 2 math sections. 

I am wondering if anyone else Out There has used it?  Thoughts?

(ETA: we have it b/c I used the CAT last year with him for kindergarten, and I liked the test.  They have apparently phased out their first grade test, but CLP apparently still offers this first grade version.  I just didn't know it was OLD! :))

alisoncooks and blondeviolin, did you do the CAT first grade test for your second graders?  To me that seems more appropriate than what I'm doing now--torturing my first grader with it... ;) 

I have found the most challenging thing (other than one of the stories in reading comprehension) was that the math computation section was pretty tightly timed.  Finishing is tough!!!!  We finish it up tomorrow with the last section (additional language arts) so we'll see how that goes.  I just can't decide if my perception of the test is off (a big jump from kindergarten to first grade) or if this test is objectively just very challenging.  

This year my son did the CAT 1970 for practice for local CAT (newer version) group testing.  The 1970 version was tough!  But, when he did the group testing he said it was waaay easier. :)  Glad it wasn't the other way around, lol.

alisoncooks and blondeviolin, did you do the CAT first grade test for your second graders? To me that seems more appropriate than what I'm doing now--torturing my first grader with it... ;)

I have found the most challenging thing (other than one of the stories in reading comprehension) was that the math computation section was pretty tightly timed. Finishing is tough!!!! We finish it up tomorrow with the last section (additional language arts) so we'll see how that goes. I just can't decide if my perception of the test is off (a big jump from kindergarten to first grade) or if this test is objectively just very challenging.

No. She did it the second grade test. Now I'm tempted to try a current CAT and compare... She might consider that torture, though. :glare:

This year my son did the CAT 1970 for practice for local CAT (newer version) group testing.  The 1970 version was tough!  But, when he did the group testing he said it was waaay easier. :)  Glad it wasn't the other way around, lol.

Oops, my son did the grade 3 1970 CAT.  I personally thought it was unrealistically rigorous.  I mean how many 3rd graders can readily identify adverbs and helping verbs in sentences?  I know mine have a general understanding but not mastery by any means.   :unsure:

alisoncooks and blondeviolin, did you do the CAT first grade test for your second graders?  To me that seems more appropriate than what I'm doing now--torturing my first grader with it... ;)

No, we used the next level.... but I wish I had!   The test for rising 3rd graders was WAY above DD's abilities.  

This makes me feel better.  We finished the third portion this morning and the relief in the air was palpable!!!!!!

I think next year I'm going to move to something a bit more modern.  It was a little torturous...but it is DONE!

• 3 weeks later...

I just figured I'd update this, for anyone who ends up using the test--we got our test scores back yesterday.  It all turned out fine and according to the scores my son is "above" his current grade level in everything (which I actually don't believe....closest to grade level in spelling and usage/structure, way above in language auding and math computation....)  So, clearly they normed this difficult test to today's standards, but taking it was such a beast that I will be avoiding the retro tests from now on. 

Now I shall send it to the school board and see what they think of the 1970s retro test! ;) 

Chiming in....

We've used it for a few years because I like to be able to do our testing at home and this seems like one of the few tests that allow that.  We ordered from Christian Light and I love their customer service.

One of the things that threw me the first time we used this test is that there are only a few levels of the test.  The first year we did it, my somehwat 'behind' 3rd grader and my advanced 5th were taking the same test.  It was the first year that my 3rd grader had tested and there were lots of tears because there was lots that she didn't know.  We decided to order  the test at a lower level for her instead so that she could feel more confident.  However, when the tests are scored, the expectations for a 3rd grader are different than the expectations for a 5th grader.  My 3rd grader could have left huge sections blank and still scored well.  I didn't understand that initially and I think if I could have prepared her to just do what she knew and move on, it would have been a better experience.