Menu

New and Nervous! (And not sure I'm on the right board...)

hillfarm

My dd has just finished the end of her traditional homeschooling career and will be attending a local community college PSEO program this fall. Is this the right spot for me? I have lots of questions and imagine I will need lots of advice and admonitions.

She will probably pursue a degree in business/marketing and since dh works at a local university, she will most likely go there unless some other school offers her a full ride.

It seems that I am experiencing similar issues to many other posters here. Trouble with NHS requirements although we were assured that being at PSEO would not cause problems with her involvement in the local b/m high school's extracurriculars. Cc advisors who were shocked that we had done our homework and knew quite a bit about which classes she needed and which would transfer. And a kid who just tonight voiced some hesitation regarding her previously chosen major. (She said she needed to go shadow someone again, so she could reassure herself that she really did like it, since we were at the point of committing so much effort to getting her into the business administration transfer module at the cc.)

This is the board for you. You'll get through it. It is a trying time, and yet so rewarding as well.

I know what you mean about the major. Our eldest ds, after maintaining for nearly 3 years of high school that he was majoring in comp sci, decided about two months ago that his real heart is writing and journalism. He has a heavy science portfolio. So, we are scrambling to get some things on the agenda to shore up the humanities end of it. I keep saying to myself, "This.too.shall.pass."

And yes, you will occasionally run across college admission's offices that are shocked that a parent might have done some research and has a plan. It's really not anything to do with homeschooling per se. It has more to do with the fact that many parents do not get very involved in planning high school much less college. They sign what needs to be signed, fill out the FASFA, and assume that the school is guiding their student properly which of course doesn't happen all that much these days. A knowledgeable parent may be a shocker to them. Most will end up happy about that. A few do not like being taken out of the "driver's seat" and are not so friendly.

Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you already fit right in, so yes this is the correct spot, and certainly don't be nervous about joining us.  Being nervous about having a college student on the other hand... yep, you fit right in!  ;)  Welcome!

ps  Colleges we've had experience with seem relieved (and surprised) that we know what we are talking about - less they need to explain!

Sorry, PSEO stands for Post Secondary Educational Opportunity. In our area, a student can attend the local community college for 11th and 12th grades with absolutely no cost. Also, there are many agreements between the cc's and area colleges and universities, so most, if not all, of the cc courses transfer directly to the 4-yr of choice.

It is a fairly easy way to get the required courses out of the way for no cost. In our case, with dh working at the uni, if dd does the PSEO, then she will be able to enter the uni at nearly a Jr. level, and if she goes 4 years, she could potentially graduate with a Master's degree and -0- debt. At least, that is the plan.

I got the cost sheet from the registrar's office the other day. With what she is saving by not having to pay for the cc courses or books, not having to pay the uni for taking the courses there (if dh didn't work there), and saving 2 years of room and board at the uni, we are saving approximately $56,000.00.

I know cc's are not the be all, end all, but we know many students who have been through this one and gone on to the uni dd is planning to attend and all has worked well. I hope our experience will be similar.

ETA: tcb, it is relevant for you to know. When we were doing traditional homeschooling, I always sat down in January and planned our upcoming school year. When I sat down as dd was finishing 8th grade, I realized that I had to consider dd's whole high school and even college plans! Yikes!!! By speculating about what she might want for college, I was able to determine what would be good in high school to get her there. Then I was able to break that down and determine which courses she needed for each semester, leaving a few openings for electives.

After one semester of 9th grade, I was forced to accept that between her hormones and mine, I was no longer the best teacher for her. We signed up with one of the online public schools, with the intent of using it as a transition between our traditional homeschooling and the PSEO program. That worked out well. (And in another post, I will detail the travails of determining how to play the PSEO game to avoid an extra semester to get in both the high school graduation requirements and the AA degree ones, if anyone cares.)

Cc advisors who were shocked that we had done our homework and knew quite a bit about which classes she needed and which would transfer. And a kid who just tonight voiced some hesitation regarding her previously chosen major. (She said she needed to go shadow someone again, so she could reassure herself that she really did like it, since we were at the point of committing so much effort to getting her into the business administration transfer module at the cc.)

I work at the local CC as a part-time professor, so I have more information than most. I'm still a mom though!

When we went to register for dual enrollment (we pay the $ in my state), the counsellor was familiar with the process, but not the details. Granted he came from another college and hadn't been on the job for very long, but there were several things I had to remind him about.  He said that mine couldn't take a hybrid class (part face-to-face, part online) the first semester. I knew that you can do hybrid or online for dual enrollment the first semester as long as you bring proof of prior experience with an online course (which I had with me).  He also looked at the catalog entry and marked "no prerequisite," but there was one, and I brought the proof needed for that (SAT reading/writing scores).  

I also was told that they don't give advice about transfer credits, but tell you to get the transfer guide from the 4-year school you're thinking of and bring it to the advising appointment.  You would think that they would be familiar with the 4-year schools in the commuting area, but no.  They tell you to figure it out yourself and to come to the meetings they hold in the fall with the transfer counsellors from the 4-year schools.

So if we end up there after high school (highly likely), I figure that I'm going to have to continue to be involved. 

My ultimate goal is to have dd able and willing to take over her scheduling completely by the end of her 2nd year of cc. However, I would hope that she would discuss her choices with me and ask for my input regarding anything undecided. So far, that seems to be our pattern.

But more immediately, dd chose an AA major that she liked - business administration transfer - and I took the list of required classes for the first semester for that major and bumbled around the cc's website until I found the actual fall schedule and then decided which time slots would work best for which classes. So when we went in to the advising appointment, after I had convinced the advisor that we had actually had the foresight to have gotten most of the little, oddball high school graduation requirements taken care of in 9th and 10th, her eyes got really wide when I pulled out a paper with the list of classes/times dd wanted. It was like I had grown an extra head or something. She stammered a little bit, but plugged in what I requested.She said, "Well, I guess we can do it this way. Most parents have no idea of how the process works." And thank goodness she did it when she did, because the schedule was pretty tight and dd got the last seat in a couple of her core classes. Our original advising appointment would not have been until the middle of the first week of June. By then, most of the class times dd wanted would have been filled.

I think some of the people around here consider me a Tiger Mom or Helicopter Mom. But I really don't care. I choose to be proactive and to work hard to get what we want to make dd's educational experience as successful and pleasant as possible for her. Let all those non-Tigers and non-Helicopters figure out what to do when they realize that all the best time slots for core classes are filled (and those reputed to be taught by the best teachers).

So Tuesday we have a meeting at the local b/m high school to verify that if she follows the outlined course of study, that all of her high school graduation requirements will be met (in writing, if you please!). Then a bit later this summer, we will visit one of the admissions counselors at the uni to confirm that the classes we expect to transfer will transfer and to verify which of the undergrad required classes will be credited as completed. I am hoping that by observing all of this, in a couple of years dd will be able to be the lead scheduler and after her first year at the uni, she will be able to handle it solo. But of course, I will be standing by should she want a sounding board.