Menu

Transcripts for Cedarville?

Anyone have any experience with this?  With our state law we can do DE for free, and the word on the street I'm getting is that they want course descriptions, an explanation of how you determined grades, blah blah when you apply even just to do DE.  So what's your experience with them and what you submitted?

A very good friend sent her two homeschooled boys to Cedarville (one graduated earlier this month). She was baffled when I did course descriptions and  a detailed counselor letter for my own dd's college application (to another school).  She repeatedly told me she didn't need to do any of that.  (I didn't need to either, but I wanted to.) All she did was a standard high school transcript like what you'd see out of public school.  It's hard to imagine that would change in four years . . .

Anyone have any experience with this?  With our state law we can do DE for free, and the word on the street I'm getting is that they want course descriptions, an explanation of how you determined grades, blah blah when you apply even just to do DE.  So what's your experience with them and what you submitted?

If you are in Ohio, only a certain amount of $ has been allocated to homeschoolers for DE. For the 2014-2015 school year, $250,000 was set aside from what I understand--so it's not free for as many classes as you want to take as it is for public school students. Homeschoolers are going to be allocated units starting with Seniors and going down from there until they run out of units. We will be treated the same way private schools are treated. However, private school funding is also separate from homeschooling funding right now. Typically, private schooled kids seem to get about 8 credit hours per year. As for what Cedarville wants, can't help you there. I do know that with our cc, I provided a transcript and ACT scores. That was it. However, I also know that a local private college has more requirements before they'll accept you. Best wishes. :)

At the beach--I wondered if that would happen!  It didn't seem to me that amount of funding was enough to pay for what everyone would want.  Thanks for the heads-up.  

Kinsa--That sounds like what I'm being told.  The way you handled it sounds good, and it's not a terrible problem if I just keep up with it...  

Thanks ladies!  :)

Interesting. I'm wondering if this is specifically for DE, but Kinsa says her son had to submit the same paperwork. When did he apply?

My friend confirmed that they only provided a transcript, SAT score, and grading scale (i.e., 93-100 = A).  And the application fee was waived because they applied early admission (came in as freshmen in 2010).

I have two students currently at Cedarville and didn't submit anything except the transcript with course titles.  I think I did add a blurb about our grading scale but that's all.  I do know that they did list a suggestion of submitting course descriptions but when we did our first application, my son was accepted without them so when my daughter applied we didn't include them either and she was accepted.  Of course, they may have changed the requirements in the past two years.   I operated on the theory that if they wanted more information, they would ask for it.

I would just call admissions (1-800-Cedarville) and ask.  They like homeschoolers and I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction.

I'll just cut and paste from their website.  This is the requirements for application:

Cedarville invites applications from high school students who possess strong academic records and a clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ. We carefully consider all factors that demonstrate your ability to succeed here. A complete application includes the following:

• Application for admission â€” You will provide autobiographical information, share your testimony, and tell us how you feel about Cedarville's lifestyle commitment and doctrinal statement
  • Church leader recommendation â€” This form must be completed by a pastor, deacon, Sunday school teacher, or other leader at the church you currently attend.
  • High school transcript â€” Because transcripts from homeschooled students will vary depending on their curricula, please follow Cedarville’s transcript requirements. A sample transcript is provided atcedarville.edu/HomeschoolTranscript.
  • Test scores â€” Scores from the ACT Assessment Test (ACT code number 3245) or from the SAT Reasoning Test (SAT code number 1151) will be accepted. The optional ACT writing section is recommended, not required. Scores should be sent directly from the test agency.
  • College transcripts â€” Courses taken at an accredited college or university and in which the student earned a "C" or better will be awarded transfer credit. Transcripts from all attended institutions are required.

The sample transcript that they show is actually simpler than the one I submitted for my kids and here is their definition of a transcript for homeschoolers"

1. The transcript must include all academic course information from the first year of high school through graduation.
  2. Information should include:
    • Course titles (i.e., Algebra I, English 10, Bible).
    • Grades earned — Be sure to provide a scale that shows the relationship between percentages earned and letter grades. This should be done even if reporting only percentages.
    • Credit hours earned — The standard measure for awarding credit is the Carnegie Unit. Under this system, a student is awarded one credit for completion of a full-year course that meets daily.
    • Anticipated date of graduation (month, day, year).
    • Signature of parent.

There's no mention of course descriptions required - now this is for regular enrollment, I'm not sure whether DE is different because that may be regulated by the state in some way.  

OHElizabeth - my dh just told me that there are some changes being made in the DE system in Ohio for next year so it may be a different process by the time you need to use it.

Janet, thanks for searching all that out!  So their site is not requiring course descriptions for regular applicants.  Maybe it's a  DE thing?  I'll try to call tomorrow and find out.  

So the what changes are you hearing about?  Is this an increase in funding or a different change?  I was hoping we could start doing some DE her junior year, 2015-2016.

Janet, thanks for searching all that out!  So their site is not requiring course descriptions for regular applicants.  Maybe it's a  DE thing?  I'll try to call tomorrow and find out.  

So the what changes are you hearing about?  Is this an increase in funding or a different change?  I was hoping we could start doing some DE her junior year, 2015-2016.

I don't know the details on the changes but there is a new process going into effect for schools to be approved to offer DE and also in how it is going to be implemented in the state of Ohio.  He wasn't sure whether it is just affecting the college side of things or if there will be changes on the student side of things also.   

I hope it works out well for you.  I've been trying to talk my upcoming junior into doing the same thing but he's not very enthusiastic at this point.  

Kinsa -  I didn't mean to dismiss what you did with your ds.  I knew that I read it somewhere when I was preparing my kids transcripts but I also remembered that we specifically didn't do it.  I was trying to encourage people that they may not need to jump through the extra hoop of course descriptions.  I'm guessing that if there is a question of whether the ACT/SAT scores match up with the transcript - that's when they go on to use/request the course descriptions.    

Hmm, now there's an interesting point.  I couldn't figure out why in the world they'd give a flip about your course descriptions if your scores were good.  And if your descriptions are good and your scores low, who still cares?  I'll just have to call them myself.

And thanks for the info on the potential changes.  I hadn't heard any of that. 

I don't know the details on the changes but there is a new process going into effect for schools to be approved to offer DE and also in how it is going to be implemented in the state of Ohio.  He wasn't sure whether it is just affecting the college side of things or if there will be changes on the student side of things also.   

I hope it works out well for you.  I've been trying to talk my upcoming junior into doing the same thing but he's not very enthusiastic at this point.  

Here is a link that provides some of the changes with PSEO, starting with a new name.

http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/analyses130/h0487-i-130.pdf

•  When submitting an official high school transcript for admission review, please be sure to include the following  items either on the transcript document or as an attachment:

• Date of graduation (month/year)

Haha, this made me smile.  I forgot to include this on my dd's final high school transcript, and I received some sort of nice communication from her college telling me she needed to have her graduation date on her transcript.  I had updated everything else!

:)

My dd just finished her freshman year at Cedarville.  She applied for and was admitted to DE in the summer of 2012 and did 2 DE courses online (one in fall 2012 and one in spring 2013) her senior year of high school.  She also knew that she wanted to apply to Cedarville for the following year, so at some point (fall?) she also submitted the form to convert to "degree-seeking."

Anyway, I talked directly with the DE coordinator at Cedarville to find out what we needed to do.  At that time, they needed 4 things:

--the online DE application (which is almost exactly like their regular admissions application)

--high school transcript

--test scores

--recommendation from a church leader

--application fee (this was waived for dd--she applied at a time when they were offering free application to DE.)

It actually was pretty much applying to the university.

I emailed PDFs of dd's homeschool transcript, and both her ACT and SAT scores.  Our transcript pretty much contained all the standard items Kinsa outlined above:  projected graduation date, final letter grades by course, grading scale, cum GPA, projected courses for senior year, signatures of parents. The recommendation from the church leader I believe is triggered somewhere in the application, and is done online (you provide the name, position and email address of the person providing the recommendation, so you will want to have this lined up before starting the application.)  We did not need to send our school profile or course descriptions.  (Although... dd had met with admissions a few months before and showed her transcript and course descriptions at that meeting.  They liked the format of our transcript and were interested in the course descriptions, which they looked at briefly. So perhaps a note to this effect went into dd's file...)  As Kinsa mentioned above, if they do want course descriptions or other information, it's really not too hard to pull those together.

It's worth noting that the criteria for admission to Cedarville's DE program is actually higher than that for general admission to the university (I was told this by the DE director).  So if there are a few extra hoops, that is probably why. Cedarville courses are challenging, and I'm guessing the greater selectivity of DE may be to ensure that the high school student is capable of the work.  One really nice thing about admission to DE is that If the student later decides he/she would like to attend Cedarville as a freshman, there's just a simple form to convert the student's status to "degree-seeking."  That is the path dd followed.

I would recommend calling the admissions office and talking with the DE coordinator to clarify what is needed from a homeschooler these days to apply for DE. Cedarville is very homeschool friendly, and friendly in general. Hopefully they would also know best how they will work with Ohio's new PSEO program?? (We're in MN, which has had PSEO for several years. My impression is it's pretty straightforward from the student side to use PSEO here.  I can't speak to how it might work in OH.)

Hope this helps!  And good luck--we found it very worthwhile to do DE courses through Cedarville!