Menu

In the market for a piano

4ofus

DS has been taking lessons since Jan '13.  He loves it.  He's been practicing on a Yamaha Arius at home & dh & I have decided to try to get a real acoustic for him this summer.

Recommendations?  Best value for the $$?

Kawai is a great brand.  They are wonderful with their warranties....

and they sound fantastic.

Be very careful buying used - have a piano tuner check the piano out for you before you buy.  Used is a great way to go, but just be cautious....

Absolutely have it checked out by a professional if you're buying from an independent seller (like off of Craig's list) or take a free piano.  Do not bring it home before it is checked.  I know more than one person who got a free piano home and it was not in any condition to be repaired or used.  If you buy a used piano from a reputable dealer, sometimes they will have warranties with them and will also allow you to trade in if your child goes on and needs a better piano. 

Absolutely have it checked out by a professional if you're buying from an independent seller (like off of Craig's list) or take a free piano. Do not bring it home before it is checked. I know more than one person who got a free piano home and it was not in any condition to be repaired or used. If you buy a used piano from a reputable dealer, sometimes they will have warranties with them and will also allow you to trade in if your child goes on and needs a better piano.

That is so true! Sometimes a "free" piano ends up costing a lot more than a used piano from a reputable store.

Our piano was a free one, but we made sure to take a piano-literate person with it to check it out and make sure it was in good shape. We moved it with a rented piano dolly and then just had to have it tuned.

No matter whether you buy a piano or get a free one you'll have the expense of moving it and having it tuned right away.

There are a number of books on amazon about buying a used piano.

We got ours for free and it wasn't hard to find.  The most difficult part is moving the bloody piano. It is worth it to hire experienced piano movers. But now that we own one and both our kids play, I am amazed at how many people offer us their piano. I could have replaced ours five times over for free.