Menu

Cat has huge, fat tick between shoulder blades

milovany

and there's NO way this cat will let us remove it. She'd fight and scratch all the way. I don't even know how we'd get her to a vet if needed. She gets very feisty when she feels threatened (will lay on my lap happily if she doesn't).

Options? Will it fall off eventually on its own? It's the big kind, not the Lyme disease kind. I'm surprised this is the first one she's gotten since we've lived here (4 years), because they're pretty common this time of year and she spends most her time outside. I think she must usually get them off herself but this one is out of her reach.

UPDATE IN POST #22.

Could you get her to lie on your lap when she's happy and then have someone help you to very quickly wrap her in a towel? Could you very gently lie the towel on top of her and then quickly finish wrapping it around her? She'll have to be wrapped in something so she can't scratch.

Yep, you have to wrap her like a burrito.  That's what we do when one of our cats very infrequently (thankfully) gets poop all over her long hair near her butt.  :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Dh and I get her into a tiny bathroom, he wraps her, I hold her in a death grip, and he cleans.  Eventually, she breaks a paw free, and we repeat. And rinse.  This is better than doing nothing.  ::shudder::

Thanks for all the feedback and for those that understand the temperament we're dealing with (!). The link to wrapping a cat in a blanket cracked me up (although I appreciate the helpful sentiment!).  5 steps?  We wouldn't make it out alive after one step.  :D  There would be no time for that wrapping and tucking.  We will try some of the things suggested, starting with easiest (dabbling with Vaseline) and if we have to consider getting her into a towel, we'll try to find a brave volunteer.  Or I also like the suggestion of just waiting for it to fall off eventually. 

Wrap up the kitty like a burrito and use tweezers to take the tick off.  You don't want to just leave it, because once it's engorged it will drop off and [aaack!] lay eggs.  Most likely in a very inconvenient spot (your house, garage, someplace you don't want little baby ticklets running around).

Just a small heads up:  Lyme Disease isn't only carried by deer ticks.  And there are plenty of other tickborne diseases that are very serious.  I have unfortunate experience with them.  So do be careful, please.  

ETA: I saw you've decided on an course.

Yeah, that sounds yucky.  She's outside most the day and night so the baby ticklets would most likely be outside somewhere, and we have a lot of ticks as it stands so a few more won't make a difference.  We'll try some of the things mentioned but if none work, then we'll just let it go. 

Thanks for all the feedback and for those that understand the temperament we're dealing with (!). The link to wrapping a cat in a blanket cracked me up (although I appreciate the helpful sentiment!).  5 steps?  We wouldn't make it out alive after one step.  :D  There would be no time for that wrapping and tucking.  We will try some of the things suggested, starting with easiest (dabbling with Vaseline) and if we have to consider getting her into a towel, we'll try to find a brave volunteer.  Or I also like the suggestion of just waiting for it to fall off eventually.

Sounds more like you'll have to find a stupid volunteer... ;)

Rip it off quickly while she's asleep. Even if you leave the head in it will fall out. The whole "You have to remove the head or it will keep eating" thing isn't true.

If nothing works fly me in. I'll do it.

Don't get bit!! Cats have a bacteria in their mouth that can cause a serious infection.

ETA: That wasn't bad grammar, it was a reference. And it's funny so laugh. Seriously though, don't get bitten.

A cat we had growing up was quite feisty, but perhaps not so much as yours, and I am laughing remembering my mother telling me to put on my father's thick "outside" coat and to hold her wrapped in a blanket so that I wouldn't get too scratched. She did enjoy being held, on her terms, though. Best wishes to you!

I think I would pick up so revolution or whatever the topical flea and tick deterrent for cats is called.  Quickly drop it on her back between her shoulder blades while she is sitting on your lap (it would hopefully kill the tick already there and prevent any future ticks).

Thanks for your advice -- I got it out tonight.  On a whim, I picked up a small tin of wet cat food for her when I was at the store today (usually she doesn't eat it when offered), and this time she ate it. While she did, I took tweezers to the tick.  I've gotten them out of our kids lots of times (we live where there are a lot this time of year), so I knew what to do, it was just her temperament that threw me.  I think she knew it was there and needed help, and that I'm not one who hurts her, so she let me do it while she ate.  This morning when I tried picking at it, she crouched low with ears back and I couldn't tell if she was thinking, "Back off or I'm gonna get you!" or "I don't like this, but will accept your help." 

Anyway, just thought I'd update.  :)

one time one of our cats, Ginger, had a huge tick in the same area as your cat.  He had never liked me before, would never let me pet him but after I got that tick off him, he has ever since been "my cat".  Same as your cat, it was like he knew that I was doing something to help him and he was grateful.