Menu

How much would you expect this bill to be?

Flowing Brook

I think my vet seriously under charged me. I did talk to her but still was surprised at how low the bill was. So if you had recieved this services what would you expect your bill to be?

A emergency visit on a sunday that included iv fluids, Antibiotic shot and antibiotic pills to bring home.

Monday you picked up a weeks worth of a different antibiotic because dog was not better Later in the day you had to bring the dog up because she was in distress.

The dog stayed at the vet clinic from Monday evening through Friday Morning.  The vet brought your dog home for the first three nights so she could moniter her through the night. During the week Your dog had 3 bags of iv fluid, seven antibiotic shots, Oral antibiotics, and twice daily wound care that required a can of salve per cleaning. Plus you picky dog would eat nothing but canned chicken so the vet sent someone to go buy some more canned chicken when they ran out. Plus when you picked up your dog you had to take home two kinds of oral antibiotics.  Plus three follow up visits.

I am curious if I am overthinking what vets charge or if my bill was indeed low. One of the antibiotics was baytrill.

This dog would have died had it not been from the excellent care from the vet.

A lot!!!  I had a very sick kitty about seven years ago that required a weeks stay at the vet, lots of antibiotics, sedation, and I am sure more than I even know and that bill was over $500 and that was for a cat. I think your vet is a keeper.  Hope your dog is on the mend.

I wouldn't want to wager a guess for that, but I know that vet bills vary a crazy amount for things.  We've had massively different bills for routine care and people I know who have shopped around for more serious issues have seen many hundreds of dollars differences.

Where I live (suburban SoCA), it would be at least $2,000.

Where my ILs live, in a small town in the Midwest, probably under $1,000. It's one of the reasons I drive there for visits. We take the dogs and have their checkups and teeth cleaned there for less than 1/3 of what it would be here.

It's really hard to guess because vet charges vary so much.

IV fluids are inexpensive.

Antibiotics can range from dirt cheap to very expensive.

At my vet, the wound care would be included in the daily hospitalization charge.

I don't think my vet wouldn't charge extra for taking a pet home, although that probably wouldn't happen because they have a tech on site 24/7 to monitor hospitalized animals.

My vet charges only very minimally, and sometimes nothing at all, for follow-up visits.

So . . .just really hard to say.  The last time I had anything similar was six or seven years ago when one of my cats almost died from as-yet-undiagnosed IBD.  She stayed at the vet's for six or seven nights, had several x-rays including a barium series, IVs, all sorts of prednisone/cortisone and antibiotics.  IIRC, it was around $700.

We'll it cost us about $1500 for that sort of care with one vet and she didn't improve. Another vet took over and did similar care for $175. She was better in days. Seriously, we had that big of a difference locally. Guess who our new vet is......

The most expensive stay I've had is when one of my cats swallowed foam rubber. He had to have surgery and stay for several nights. He had fluids and meds and 24 hour monitoring service. We paid about $1000 for that. For everything you listed, I'd think about $2000.

Just saw your update. Your vet is a keeper. That's an amazing price.

Thanks everyone. The total bill was 300.00. She only charged 50.00 for the hospitlization fee. Our vet is deffinetely a keeper. I just hope she never moves or we never move!

GET OUT!!! That is unreal, I'm so jealous.

You should never move and hope that you're vet doesn't retire.

$2000 and possibly more in our area.  

My friend just had an ER Visit that didn't need anything over a 15 minute examination and testing of a mystery liquid that the dog got into (found out later it was black hair dye that the neighbor dumped by the fence) and the bill was over $500.