Menu

Question about airlines

Danestress

I have a friend buying a one way ticket here in the summer.  When she leaves here, she will fly home to a third city.   So basically she need to buy a one-way ticket here and a one-way ticket out of here.

The one way ticket here (an airline hub) would be $400 nonstop.  That seemed too much, so I looked at the airports a couple of hours from here.  If she flew to our Capital city, she would pay $260, and that would be with one stop over - here!  So to fly here is $400 but to fly here and connect somewhere else is less.  Isn't that weird?  And it was the same if she wanted to fly into another city about 2 hours South.  She would come through my town and continue on, and pay $230.

So my question is, if she booked a flight to one of those cities, could she just not board for the second part of her trip?  Would she get "flagged" in any bad way?  Would it cause her any problems at all, assuming she didn't check luggage and that they actually change planes here? 

I like #5 in the article

5. Don’t lie if you get caught — travel lawyers agree that misstating your intentions could leave you facing fraud charges. Instead, proudly state that you’re doing your part to help the airlines understand the inefficiencies in their pricing structures, and that you’re bringing exorbitant fares more in line with the free market.

Book your tickets through the airline. This is called a jaw ticket (like your mouth is open). They will be able to get better pricing for her, sometimes it's as good as a round trip fare. Like with most trips, if you miss the first leg of the trip, they will cancel the second leg, so make any changes through the airline if you will still need that second leg.