Menu

SWR Users - combining kids?

I know that in my SWR guide it says to combine kids after Kindergarten. I didn't do that this year, and while it would be nice, I don't know how that is even feasible? My kids will be starting at different lists in the beginning of the year and doing a different amount of words. Am I missing something here?

When I combined I had both of my kids start on the same list. The words were too easy for the older child and just right for the younger. I figured the real benefit of SWR is analyzing/marking the words and going over rules, even if the actual spelling is easy. It worked just fine.

This did NOT work for us.  ds9 is a natural speller and is miles ahead of dd10.  dd10 struggles with spelling and has a very hard time retaining it.  I cannot use SWR as intended for her because doing 20 words a week just ensures that she will learn absolutely nothing and get discouraged.  Also, my two kids differ drastically in their ability to do "pencil" work.  ds9 HATES using a pencil and struggles with handwriting, even though he is a brilliant speller.  dd10 has beautiful, fast handwriting, but just doesn't get spelling.  So if I attempted to keep them together, it would be boring to dd10 to wait while dd9 struggles to write the words, and then she would miss 18 out of 20 on the spelling test.  So basically, what would be the point for either of them?

I think you have to consider if your kids are both at about the same level and can keep up with each other or if it is just going to make you all hate each other.  :-)  So try it and see if it works, if it does, great, but if not, save yourself the horrible melt-downs and just do it separately.

Last year, I had two "groups" of kids - my oldest & my next two. Next year, I'll have two groups - dd#2/dd#3 and ds#1. I can combine dd#2 & dd#3 because they have continued to be at the same level for spelling. They consistently score at about the same diagnostic level and can both go at about the same pace with words.

If you can't combine them for lists, you can combine when you are teaching some of the reference pages as long as their writing & comprehension skills are about the same. If one is just learning to write or at vastly different levels of understanding from another, it won't go so well. We've done written phonogram quizzes, oral phonogram work, and spelling diagnostics together in the past, too.

If you can't combine them for lists, you can combine when you are teaching some of the reference pages as long as their writing & comprehension skills are about the same. If one is just learning to write or at vastly different levels of understanding from another, it won't go so well. We've done written phonogram quizzes, oral phonogram work, and spelling diagnostics together in the past, too.

We did a little of this last year and I think we'll continue in this manner. They are too far apart, imo, to combine them. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something.