Menu

Anyone do formal math for K?

ruthie5573

I'm just wondering if it's necessary? If not, what do you integrate into K as far as math games, etc? My son seems to be mathematically inclined so I'd like to challenge him w/o making it too rigorous for a K'r. I've looked at Singapore Earlybird and also MUS Primer, but still not sure if anything is really necessary.

We do Singapore Math Primary 1A alternating with Miquon Orange for K. It depends on what your son already knows. At our house in PreK, we learning counting to 100; skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s; basic shapes; recognizing patterns; the names of different coins; etc. All of this is done informally without a curriculum to establish a base before we begin an actual math program. HTH

I'm just wondering if it's necessary? If not, what do you integrate into K as far as math games, etc? My son seems to be mathematically inclined so I'd like to challenge him w/o making it too rigorous for a K'r. I've looked at Singapore Earlybird and also MUS Primer, but still not sure if anything is really necessary.

Formal math isn't necessary at K. There's the Family Math Book, lots of games, and livingmath.net. You can find plenty to do that's fun and educational. :party:

A friend of mine, whose children do far better at math than my own, does math games the first few years. You certainly won't be cheating your son. :-)

That being said, I am doing formal math with my ds since I'm a no-fun Mom and playing endless rounds of Uno, and making certain everything is covered gives me a headache. :banghead:

Best of luck!

I don't feel that it's *necessary at all, but I have kids who absolutely adore worksheets. DD6 flew through Calvert K, and did half of 1st grade last year.

I would say that the first 3/4 of Calvert (and some of Saxon 1, I haven't looked very far ahead yet) are things my kids picked up through daily life.

My daughter didn't really need any direct instruction until they started to touch on time and money.

We didn't do anything formal last year for K, and my ds is now breezing through Singapore 1A and getting his facts down, too. But we did do a lot informally. I think it just depends on if you have the time and inclination to play lots of games and remember to talk about place value and skip counting and word problems in the space of day to day, or whether you need a formal program to remind you to do it. Being my oldest child, I found it easy to do it the organic way. For subsequent children, I may need the program. lol

We don't do formal math for K. Just talking and playing as we went about our everyday was fine- how many forks, plates, etc, do we need when we set the table? You are the third person in line, daddy is the second person in line, three hops + two hops means you went five hops, and so on.

Even in TWTM, SWB mentions that she doesn't do formal K math and her kids transitioned into 1st grade math just fine, with just the conversational and everyday math I mentioned.

You can play simple board games and card games, and there are lots of ideas for math picture books at livingmath.net

We are doing INformal math in K.

We count, play with math manipulatives, practice writing the numerals, etc. After looking through 4 math programs, I decided to start Miquon for 1st grade and keep K informal.

If your dc is learning well with what you are doing now, don't change it. Expand it, but don't change it.

I have never taught addition/subtraction, but ds has picked it up through real life and play. It's now a matter of giving him a symbol to communicate what he knows. I think many early math programs frustrate kids by giving the symbol first and/or artificially. I tried Horizons K and Saxon K and got "deer in the headlights" looks from him. He was motivated to finish the Horizon's page, but didn't care if he understood the material. When he's dealing with pieces of candy, days until a special event, time until nap is over, how many more bites of veggies....that boy CARES about understanding his math LOL:lol: I do think as his ability to write improves and the symbols become 2nd nature to him, he will love math. Keeping K informal is about not squelching that love before it blooms:001_smile:

That being said, I am doing formal math with my ds since I'm a no-fun Mom and playing endless rounds of Uno, and making certain everything is covered gives me a headache. :banghead:

We used suggestions from Accelerated Achievement. Basically lots of go fish, monopoly, playing store, etc. School systems expect children not only to add and subtract, but to know the +,-,= signs and all of their coins by the end of K. We did not cover that, so I thought I would let you know.

I have not done formal math in Kindergarten with my 1st 3 children (actually I didn't do formal Kindergarten at all) and they have all done well without it. I am doing math (& Formal kindergarten LHFHG) with my 4th child for K this year because otherwise he would be a loose end. I am using Mastermind math which I picked up for $8 at Ollies (local discount store). My son loves it. It has manipulatives (tanagrams, unicubes, number flashcards, beads & string), activity book (to go with the manipulatives) and workbook & CD-ROM as well as a parents manual.

I think it all depends on the child & yourself and how much you want to do.

HTH

I do, not so much for the mathematical concepts as for the discipline of learning to sit still for lessons that they will increasingly need each year. I ahve used a curriculum, and I have used just manipulatives and games, but either way, I have them sit down each day for about 15 minutes and "do math." I lays a great foundation for later years.

We're doing Horizon K this year. So far, it's a great program! I like the idea of starting off my son's homeschooling with the basics reading, writing, and math, since in 1st grade it seems we'll be adding so much more.... This way, I figure the intro. into first grade won't be so overwhelming. Also, my son has expressed interest in addition and basic mathematical concepts. Yes, we do talk about them informally, but I think a basic K math program is the right step for us this year. Indeed, it's his favorite lesson of the day! Just the other day he said, "Math is so easy and fun!" Is it necessary? No, but we enjoy it!

P.S. We're not pushing it. Although I know he could cover several workbook pages a day, we're following the general plan of one lesson per day. I think this contributes to his very positive outlook on math :)

We're reading Living Math books, playing a few games, using math in daily life and completing one page a day 4 days a week of MCP Math K.

At first I was going to jump head-first into structured math with 2 pages a day and nothing else, but I scaled back as ds is immature, has difficulty sitting still and is still working on attention span and just plain listening.

Looking back, I can see we didn't need to do formal math in K, but I'm glad we did. I needed the structure of Saxon math in order to get our day started. I was so eager to homeschool! We did Saxon K when dd was 4 and going to preschool twice a week. I believe it was only 3 days a week, but I could be wrong (faded memories here!).

We do Saxon a year ahead, so I'd say do Saxon 1 in K, or better yet, start it halfway thru K and spend the first part just playing. Adding a die to any manipulative (buttons, erasers, straws, m&ms, cereal pieces, etc.) can make a game. I like to offer lots of measuring opportunities with non-standard measuring things, like finding out how many "somethings" tall you are (we like to use those plastic links, or, again, pieces of food), or how big around things are in the house and outside. We also cook a lot, which is science and math combined!

There's no need to rush. Having the structure was nice for us, tho.

We do.

Originally, we used Horizons K, which my son caught on to quickly, but after some time, it seemed to be leaving large gaps for him. Then we switched and are now using Calvert K math. We had to skip - oh - 40 lessons or so, but now my son is in the perfect place for his skills and he is learning at the right pace. :) We are really enjoying it.

We used Saxon K. It wasn't too taxing for him, but it sure made a lot of busy work for ME cutting out all sorts of stupid shapes. Again. And again. And again. :tongue_smilie:

With my next kiddo, I'm not sure if we'll use the MUS Primer or do something more informal, ala Ruth Beechick.