Menu

Medic Alerts---this is what a paramedic told me

Ottakee

My friend's daughter is a paramedic.  I asked her yesterday about medic alert bracelets and she told me the following:

1.  Bracelet or necklace are what they look for first.

2.  Make sure it LOOKS like a MEDICAL ALERT, not fancy jewelry or it might be missed.

3.  Key words like allergies, seizures, diabetes are important

4.  The USB things are neat but as of right now, the city she works in (fairly large Michigan city) does not have the technology to access them in the ambulance and not all ERs can use them so they would be more for back up/additional information, not as a first line thing at this point in time

She also said that if they have time they do check wallets/purses for lists of meds, doctors, emergency information, etc. but that comes after the medic alert.

I know there has been a lot of talk about these on the special needs boards as to what is needed, what type is best, what to put on it, etc. so I thought I would share what she told me.   Now I am off to order at least 3 of them, maybe 4.

Paramedic who also wears a medic alert.

Wear a bracelet. Please. Necklace get easily lost in clothes and we don't always see them. We will be checking a pulse on your wrist and the bracelet stands out.

Most ambulances and even hospitals aren't capable of checking a USB. If you aren't able to tell me your information, you are probably sick or injured enough that I don't have time to check a USB for info.

Only put the most pertinent info on your bracelet. Mine, for example, says "diabetic, life threatning shellfish allergy" and my husband's cell phone number.

Rarely will we go through someone's purse or wallet for information. We let the police do that if necessary. It is both a time and a liability factor.

MedicMom---do you find the cell number helpful?---even if used once they get to ER?

How about things like autism, developmental delay, speech impairment?  Just thinking of my kids who all have special needs.  I remember once after an accident that the paramedic was asking my ds questions to determine mental status (he had been knocked out) not knowing that he would not have known the answers to those questions even before the accident (president's name, day or week, etc) so it wasn't reliable?

Any other hints for us?

As to the med list in the purse/wallet, etc I think she was meaning more when they got to ER then someone there would look for that, not in the crisis moment.

Do you know if the Medic Alert ones where you can call for updated information are worth the added cost over a basic personalized engraved bracelet? 

When my girls were younger one had a life threatening condition and we had her wear an alert bracelet. Standard bracelet did not look like fancy jewelry.

It was useful for more than just paramedics. She was asked about it several times by tour directors (at an industrial plant) and ride operators (at Disney) who were double checking that she would be safe.  

Her condition also included occasionally included her outward appearance (pale and bruised).  The bracelet gave several people, who I think were concerned about abuse,  a opening to talk to me about her.  

Ottakee, like Medic Mom said USBs are useless in the field and in many ERs. Even though my system uses ePCRs we aren't allowed to plug in *any* non-county approved USBs. Use the bracelet over the necklace as it'll be seen more easily.

Depending on how much room you have on the bracelet a cell number can be helpful. However, if the patient is (possibly) critical we (paramedics) won't call anyone. We'll just tell the ER staff.

As far as special needs you certainly could put "devel delay" or "autistic". Again, though, if the situation is serious enough, we tend to assume the worst and treat appropriately, especially if there's no one *on-scene* who knows the patient. I say on-scene because I've had situations where a family member not at the scene said the patient was responding appropriately for him (the pt) and it turned out that the patient actually did have potentially life-threatening injuries.

I guess the take home lesson is that paramedics may not have time to call anyone and so allergies & important medical conditions should be engraved on the bracelet.

Ottakee, like Medic Mom said USBs are useless in the field and in many ERs. Even though my system uses ePCRs we aren't allowed to plug in *any* non-county approved USBs. Use the bracelet over the necklace as it'll be seen more easily.

Yes, or the USB port may be disabled entirely for security reasons.

I've wondered a lot about medic alert bracelets. Me and my two kids both have a life-threatening condition that can be triggered by dozens and dozens of different medications. I also have a severe bee allergy, but epinephrine is on my no-no list of meds. I just can't figure out how to put any kind of useful information on a medic alert bracelet. :glare:

The phone number I have on mine is for the ED staff. I don't expect a paramedic to be calling anyone; if they have time to do that, I should be able to tell them all the info they need. I want ED staff to be able to contact my husband quickly as I have a couple life threatning allergies to commonly used ED meds, and he will know to tell them all that. I am not allergic to anything a paramedic would be using in the field.

Mine actually reads:

diabetes/anaphylactic to shellfish

ICE xxx-xxx-xxxx

I've wondered a lot about medic alert bracelets. Me and my two kids both have a life-threatening condition that can be triggered by dozens and dozens of different medications. I also have a severe bee allergy, but epinephrine is on my no-no list of meds. I just can't figure out how to put any kind of useful information on a medic alert bracelet. :glare:

When DS had allergies, we had a Medic Alert bracelet on him. The representative that I spoke to helped to formulate what was most important to have on the bracelet itself vs. other information that they keep on file.

I'm not an EMT, but my guess would be that any bracelet with a standard size and shaped medic alert tag (the footballish-shaped thing) would be readily identifiable, as well as anything where the medic alert part is the obvious focal point. A prominent (size, contrasting color) medic alert symbol helps, too. Ones that are trying to be discreet seem more likely a problem, as well as anything with a focal point other than the medic alert part (eg. I see a lot of custom medic alert bracelet bands that have a large bead opposite the medic alert tag - I wouldn't go with one of those).

For example...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/173298415/diabetes-medic-alert-bracelet looks to me like it would be easy to overlook. Not a lot of contrast, and the medic alert symbol is small and difficult to see.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/162835691/medic-alert-bracelet - What the words say might be overlooked because of the cutesy font, especially on a small tag. No medic alert symbol

http://www.etsy.com/listing/184890218/medic-alert-interchangeable-bracelet - The tag itself is good, but large focal object on the opposite side from the tag.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/168289261/hand-stamped-medic-alert-bracelet  - The writing is hard to read, and the medic alert charm doesn't jump out at me.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/172980485/diabetic-diabetes-medic-alert-adjustable - Very easy to overlook the charm

http://www.etsy.com/listing/181461711/diabetes-bracelet-medic-alert-type-1 - could easily be mistaken for a standard awareness bracelet.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/152390739/leather-medical-alert-wrist-band-custom - Large visible clear writing, clear medic alert symbol, difficult to overlook

http://www.etsy.com/listing/122199158/medical-alert-crystal-bracelets-very - The band doesn't distract from the message

It's also going to depend on the situation. I would guess that most of these bracelets would be noticed in a situation where the EMTs had time to do a thorough check, but the less visible ones might be overlooked in a severe emergency where seconds matter or where there is some other obvious cause of injury. 

You also have to keep in mind that EMTs aren't the only intended audience. If you're diabetic, for example, your bracelet is going to be oriented more at the general public and possibly the police. In other words, people who may need something clearly and blatantly obvious because they aren't trained to look for it. One of the first things EMTs will do with someone with altered mental status or who is unconscious is to check blood sugar levels, so it isn't as important for them.

I would put "Anaphylaxis", "Epinephrine allergy" (or just "Epi allergy" if space is too limited), and, if there's room "Mult. med allergies" on the front, and a list of medication and/or info about where to find complete allergy list on the back.

I am not a paramedic, but I do work in the ER.

True allergies, and illnesses that may interfere with emergency medications like G6PD deficiency, diabetes, renal failure, liver failure, etc. is important to include. Other illnesses just clutter up the medic alert bracelet. Things like dev. delayed on a bracelet may actually interfere with care.

Interestingly, I have seen OnStar call in some allergies for trauma victims. Very helpful.

Wallets should include a detailed list of all medications, herbs, vitamins, etc. and exact dosages. A complete list of allergies, medical problems and past surgeries should also be included in the wallet. ER staff will go through the wallet first thing on arrival to find names and social security numbers also.

What do you think about these interactive IDs? They have a call in or log in for detailed medical information vs a USB. My daughter has one, but unfortunately I cannot get her to wear it at the moment. She has a brain injury and seizures, so I have both listed on the tag as well as a legal alert.

You can choose either the interactive or the basic ID based on your condition.

https://www.roadid.com/p/the-Wrist-ID-Elite

Can you give us an example as to how this might interfere, rather than help? Just curious!

Many eye movements and behaviors seen in acute head injuries are similar to some seen in development delay, cerebral palsy, and even intoxicated people. One pitfall is if someone assumes the injured is just developmentally delayed when really the signs are caused from traumatic brain injury.

Paramedic who also wears a medic alert.

I am not a paramedic, but I do work in the ER.

Thank you both so much for your insights!

I have sometimes wondered if my allergy is worth getting a bracelet for. I think probably not, but I would welcome your input.

I took a codeine-based cough suppressant once when I had pneumonia. The first dose was fine (actually better than fine, it was great, lol!), but with the second dose, I started itching all over, and my tongue and throat swelled up a bit - not to the point where I was scared I'd be unable to breathe or anything like that, but to the point that it was uncomfortable. So I called the PA and she kind of freaked out and told me (repeatedly) not to take another dose, that they would get me a different medication. So since then I have put on all my medical records that I'm allergic to codeine derivatives. Once a doctor prescribed me a codeine pain killer for a minor procedure that I was having done, and the pharmacist caught it. She asked what sort of reaction I had, and when I described it, she said that was potentially serious, and she would not risk it if she were in my shoes, so I had to make do with ibuprofen instead.

So, long story, but would you bother with a medical bracelet for a "potentially serious" allergy? Is there really any chance that I would be given codeine in an emergency situation? I'm thinking not, but I'd love to know what you think.

Also, is reactive hypoglycemia something that's worth noting on a medical bracelet?

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you both so much for your insights!

I have sometimes wondered if my allergy is worth getting a bracelet for. I think probably not, but I would welcome your input.

I took a codeine-based cough suppressant once when I had pneumonia. The first dose was fine (actually better than fine, it was great, lol!), but with the second dose, I started itching all over, and my tongue and throat swelled up a bit - not to the point where I was scared I'd be unable to breathe or anything like that, but to the point that it was uncomfortable. So I called the PA and she kind of freaked out and told me (repeatedly) not to take another dose, that they would get me a different medication. So since then I have put on all my medical records that I'm allergic to codeine derivatives. Once a doctor prescribed me a codeine pain killer for a minor procedure that I was having done, and the pharmacist caught it. She asked what sort of reaction I had, and when I described it, she said that was potentially serious, and she would not risk it if she were in my shoes, so I had to make do with ibuprofen instead.

So, long story, but would you bother with a medical bracelet for a "potentially serious" allergy? Is there really any chance that I would be given codeine in an emergency situation? I'm thinking not, but I'd love to know what you think.

Also, is reactive hypoglycemia something that's worth noting on a medical bracelet?

Thanks for any advice!

I'd actually just put "Codeine Allergy". Itching combined with tongue and throat swelling equals med allergy to lil ol' me. I probably *wouldn't* put reactive hypoglycemia on the bracelet. Truly, if you're altered (mentally) in any way a competent medical professional will automatically check your BGL and treat accordingly.

For those with loved ones unable to speak for themselves, see if your local police has the program where they photograph the individual and put their info in a database - if my adult son with autism decides to take a walk and disappears on me, our  police will already have his info, and he'll come up in each police car so they can watch for him.  They do this for older folks with dementia, too.  

He also has the Medic Alert, but he won't wear the bracelet, just the necklace, under his shirt.  I've told him, when we go to Disney or any other crowded place, that if he misplaces me to show the tag on the necklace to any worker for help. 

BTW  at the airport the TSA folks let him keep the necklace on - I do mention it to them when we first show our i.d.s and tickets, just in case.

What do you think about these interactive IDs? They have a call in or log in for detailed medical information vs a USB. My daughter has one, but unfortunately I cannot get her to wear it at the moment. She has a brain injury and seizures, so I have both listed on the tag as well as a legal alert.

My ds has the basic ID. He's 12 and has down syndrome and very low verbal skills. We got 3 phone numbers on it. He was wearing it full time until recently. But we had a trip in April and I told him he had to leave it on the whole time we are gone and he did. He's well known in our neighborhood, so if he did wonder out of the house someone would get me, but it's when we are away that I worry. I "lost" him at a very large water park 4 years ago--so scary.

I'd actually just put "Codeine Allergy". Itching combined with tongue and throat swelling equals med allergy to lil ol' me. I probably *wouldn't* put reactive hypoglycemia on the bracelet. Truly, if you're altered (mentally) in any way a competent medical professional will automatically check your BGL and treat accordingly.

Makes sense.  Thank you!

great information to have.  I have been having "fun" updating med lists with the boys getting their meds tweaked every few weeks-months. Both dd14 and I have adverse reactions to meds but I won't be getting bracelets for those things, dd14 is allergic to cephlasporins, but that is not a go to med in a situation where she couldn't speak up for herself (last year at cadet camp she ended up in the ER and the dr almost prescribed a cephlasporin but dd was able to speak up and say she was allergic so no big deal).  Mine is not a full allergy, but is enough of an adverse reaction that I have to wear a special bracelet about it when in the hospital so they don't give it to me (Maxeran) but again it is not exactly a go to med for anything if I am unresponsive so no big deal.  If ds10s reactions get any more severe and he needs an epi then we would get the bracelet, so far he is getting worse but not that severe yet kwim.  This is great information to keep in mind if/when the time comes to get one.

I got one of these for my 3 year old before we went on a cross-country road trip last year.  He has apraxia and was completely non-verbal at the time, I didn't want to travel thousands of miles with a kid who couldn't even tell you his name if he got separated (and he's a runner).  I really liked it and he wore it all the time until about 2 months ago.  My biggest complaint was that the engraving was easily scratched from normal wear & tear until it became illegible. 

For those with loved ones unable to speak for themselves, see if your local police has the program where they photograph the individual and put their info in a database - if my adult son with autism decides to take a walk and disappears on me, our  police will already have his info, and he'll come up in each police car so they can watch for him.  They do this for older folks with dementia, too.  

He also has the Medic Alert, but he won't wear the bracelet, just the necklace, under his shirt.  I've told him, when we go to Disney or any other crowded place, that if he misplaces me to show the tag on the necklace to any worker for help. 

I will have to look into this. Dd is 3 ½, pretty much non-verbal (wouldn't say her name to a stranger even if she could) and has Down syndrome. She isn't a runner, but is a wanderer and it freaks me out to think that one day she might figure out how to get outside by herself. We've been discussing a bracelet for her with our phone numbers on it, but I didn't think a Medic Alert would be good as she doesn't have any health problems I could think would warrant it other than the Ds/non-verbal.

My ds has the basic ID. He's 12 and has down syndrome and very low verbal skills. We got 3 phone numbers on it. He was wearing it full time until recently. But we had a trip in April and I told him he had to leave it on the whole time we are gone and he did. He's well known in our neighborhood, so if he did wonder out of the house someone would get me, but it's when we are away that I worry. I "lost" him at a very large water park 4 years ago--so scary.

Oh, that is my worst nightmare. 

My son doesn't want a bracelet so we got dog tags.  I'm going to have to think about this.  He does NOT want to wear a bracelet . . . Well, he's recently decided the paracord kind are "kind of cool" but that probably goes against the easy-to-identify bracelet, right?

His issue is with seizures and I feel like he needs a medical alert, but on the other hand, I don't necessarily want everyone in the world to know he has a medical issue.  How can I keep him safe without broadcasting the issue, what do you think?

Betsy

My son doesn't want a bracelet so we got dog tags.  I'm going to have to think about this.  He does NOT want to wear a bracelet . . . Well, he's recently decided the paracord kind are "kind of cool" but that probably goes against the easy-to-identify bracelet, right?

His issue is with seizures and I feel like he needs a medical alert, but on the other hand, I don't necessarily want everyone in the world to know he has a medical issue.  How can I keep him safe without broadcasting the issue, what do you think?

Betsy

How old is your son? If he wore the bracelet he would not necessarily need to discuss his medical reasons with random strangers, perhaps you could help him rehearse some non-committal replies.

My daughter wore a bracelet for several years as a child. Several times we were asked by ride operators (Disney, County Fair) and one time by a tour operator (homeschool group touring a factory), because of concerns that there might be seizure triggers involved. We explained the issue was not seizures and they did not need any more information. 

I had not realized how many different work environments involved employees staying alert for the bracelets on children. Several times waitresses would check with her in case she had food allergies.  I guess they figure adults know the risks. :)

ETA: she was actually stopped from one risky activity that I had not realized included high impact bouncing. She was stopped at the check in point and questioned, when they saw she had a bleeding disorder they held her back.  

Betsy

How old is your son? If he wore the bracelet he would not necessarily need to discuss his medical reasons with random strangers, perhaps you could help him rehearse some non-committal replies.

My daughter wore a bracelet for several years as a child. Several times we were asked by ride operators (Disney, County Fair) and one time by a tour operator (homeschool group touring a factory), because of concerns that there might be seizure triggers involved. We explained the issue was not seizures and they did not need any more information. 

I had not realized how many different work environments involved employees staying alert for the bracelets on children. Several times waitresses would check with her in case she had food allergies.  I guess they figure adults know the risks. :)

ETA: she was actually stopped from one risky activity that I had not realized included high impact bouncing. She was stopped at the check in point and questioned, when they saw she had a bleeding disorder they held her back.  

He's almost 10 and really shy.  It was torture even getting him to wear the necklace because he just KNEW that everyone would ask about it (no one has even noticed).  He's at an age where nosy tween kids would ask about a bracelet, and he would be mortified-

I'll work on him :)  THere were some good points brought up here--

Betsy

yup....I did some research earlier this year because I developed a medical condition and the doc was pretty insistant I wear an alert.  The boards were super helpful!!  I purchased mine from RoadID.  I have a bracelet and a dog tag style necklace.  I wear the necklace when I workout and the bracelet for everything else.  Both have the medical alert symbol.  The dog tag has a red silencer around it. 

I chose RoadID because of the space they give for information, price, and delivery time.  Also, my bracelet bands can change, so I can wear different color bracelets, but the info tag and the alert tag stays the same. 

This is what I have on mine:

full name including nick name

medical condition

medication taken for said condition

allergies

The EMT I know said if I had room to make sure both full/legal name and nick name were included.  The hospital would have my full name in the records but not my nickname.  If I'm found semi or unconscious and they were trying to get me to respond, I would  probably respond to my nickname/everyday name rather than my formal legal name. 

I will have to look into this. Dd is 3 ½, pretty much non-verbal (wouldn't say her name to a stranger even if she could) and has Down syndrome. She isn't a runner, but is a wanderer and it freaks me out to think that one day she might figure out how to get outside by herself. We've been discussing a bracelet for her with our phone numbers on it, but I didn't think a Medic Alert would be good as she doesn't have any health problems I could think would warrant it other than the Ds/non-verbal.

Oh, that is my worst nightmare. 

Medic Alert would be a good idea - if an EMT or Police or anyone calls the number on the tag, Medic Alert pulls up your info and contacts you (you provide a few numbers, yours and whomever else you choose, and which order  you want MedicAlert need to try first) .  You also will have given them your child's doctor info, and any meds (or if she is not on any meds) - with Down Syndrome an EMT might assume an underlying condition unless Medic Alert can assure them otherwise.  The Medic Alert website flat out promotes getting the tags even for folks w/o medical needs who might wander - just like your kidlet.

It is super easy to log on and tweak the info in your child's file, too.

Medic Alert would be a good idea - if an EMT or Police or anyone calls the number on the tag, Medic Alert pulls up your info and contacts you (you provide a few numbers, yours and whomever else you choose, and which order  you want MedicAlert need to try first) .  You also will have given them your child's doctor info, and any meds (or if she is not on any meds) - with Down Syndrome an EMT might assume an underlying condition unless Medic Alert can assure them otherwise.  The Medic Alert website flat out promotes getting the tags even for folks w/o medical needs who might wander - just like your kidlet.

It is super easy to log on and tweak the info in your child's file, too.

Something like RoadID is good too. 

Ds9 has autism and was essentially non-verbal until age 6/7. He still doesn't usually respond to strangers, so he's always worn a medical ID bracelet that just says:

Rory [surname]

Autism - Non-verbal 

[my cell phone number]

He's gotten lost twice at the same mall, and both times I received a phone call within minutes.  

My son doesn't want a bracelet so we got dog tags. I'm going to have to think about this. He does NOT want to wear a bracelet . . . Well, he's recently decided the paracord kind are "kind of cool" but that probably goes against the easy-to-identify bracelet, right?

His issue is with seizures and I feel like he needs a medical alert, but on the other hand, I don't necessarily want everyone in the world to know he has a medical issue. How can I keep him safe without broadcasting the issue, what do you think?

Betsy

Someone I know that needed one got tired of being asked questions about the bracelet and switched to dog tags. He was in a car accident, and they found the tags, it would have been life threatening if they did not as he was unconscious and they could not have saved his life without the info on the dog tags.

A bracelet is easier to find and see, but dog tags are better than nothing!

Right now I am in the hospital with MIL. Once we get out we are ordering one for her and me and my 2 girls.

She was taken by ambulance to a hospital 3 1/2 hours from home as she was visiting this area. She forgot some of her meds and diagnosis so a medic alert would have been good. Instead her brother called me and I called ER to give them the information.

I keep thinking about this. DS's medications change. Not often but often enough to be need a new bracelet a few times a year. Those things are not cheap! I could put his disease on it, but even that is not helpful because the name does not tell what/if any internal organs are involved or the extent of the damage which if he needs a tracheostomy or even just oxygen is relevant. It would also not tell them to expect low O2 readings and that the readings may not be accurate (that is always fun when he has to go to the ER). 

I keep thinking about this. DS's medications change. Not often but often enough to be need a new bracelet a few times a year. Those things are not cheap! I could put his disease on it, but even that is not helpful because the name does not tell what/if any internal organs are involved or the extent of the damage which if he needs a tracheostomy or even just oxygen is relevant. It would also not tell them to expect low O2 readings and that the readings may not be accurate (that is always fun when he has to go to the ER).

Then you might want to look at Medic Alert. They have the bracelet but then also a number to call for meds/dosages, medical conditions, doctos etc. You can update that as frequently as you need to. There is a yearly fee

Dd has bracelet with disease and main medication for that along with meningitis risk. It also says see card which we carry in wallet for once she is in ER. She also has food allergies which is on bracelet too. Really hard to fit it all on. I went with bracelet that had most room to type. Front has nickname and symbol back has legal name aHUS/ Soliris meningitis risk and food allergies along with doctors number that handles her care.