Menu

Essential Oils, what's up with the bottom of the feet thing?

sassenach

I've been learning more about EOs and most of it makes sense. Chemical compounds found in nature, which have been used for generations. Good. Administered orally, through the respiratory system, or topically? Makes sense and is common in alopathic medicine. Where I get thrown is the part where you rub the oil on the bottom of your feet and it somehow treats a completely unrelated part of the body. What's the science there? Any?

No.

What is the explanation for this? Why would this work?

I would not listen to anyone who advised taking EOs orally. That has NOT been done for generations. They are making things up. 

Essential oils are good for aromatherapy. Some essential oils are nice when used topically. That is it. Sticking them on the bottom of the feet won't be effective unless it is tea tree oil and you have some sort of fungus.

IMO it is only a matter of time before a class action suit bombs those MLM essential oil companies out of business. Randomly drinking essential oils won't do anything but destroy someone's liver.

We have used a blend of essential oils with a base of olive oil for bronchitis and flu symptoms with great success, rubbed on the bottoms of feet, socks put on. I don't go the scientific explanation route. I started using it out of desperation, late on a weekend with nothing else to use.

Quote from a site suggesting this:

You can mix a little with carrier oil and apply to your chest, neck, and the bottom of your feet. When you apply the oils mixed with a little carrier or massage oil, your body will absorb and be able to use the oils at the cellular level to help heal and repair damage done to the lung tissues.

Using essential oils topically with a carrier oil for a relaxing massage is one thing. But, stuff like that quote? That is bologna. Rubbing anything on the bottom of your feet in NOT going to repair lung damage. There is no scientific explanation for it because one doesn't exist.

I love peppermint (inhaled) to help with headaches/open my sinuses. I also use a blend of wintergreen and a few other oils with a carrier (coconut oil) as part of massaging knots out of my upper back. I have another blend that I like to relax and help with anxiety at the end of the day. I don't know that they have a lot of science behind them, but I can't take many common meds, so they are a good fit for me. I don't use them on my feet, or to treat any serious ailments. Just saying that they do have a place for some people.

Not totally related, but my ds used to get an asthmatic cough in the middle of the night. I was told to rub Vicks on his feet, not his chest. I don't know why, but it worked every time. So I can absolutely understand why using EOs on the feet is recommended.

But, if the skin on our feet was able to absorb anything, wouldn't we be in danger of stepping in something that could harm us?? 

My high school biology teacher taught us (right or wrong, I have no idea but it stuck in my head) that things like lotion that claim to be absorbed actually aren't.  Makes sense to me.  Isn't our skin there to keep things OUT??

I've heard of foot detoxes where toxins are pulled from your body and exit through the feet. When you are done the water or pads touching your feet are filthy.

I never had any luck with the Vick's underneath socks for my son's cough but other moms I know did! /shrug.

I do believe in using EOs for certain things. From what I could find you should search more on "Vita Flex Technique" to help explain the foot thing. And here's a chart with some information regarding the feet: http://www.younglivingworld.com/MainFrame.asp?BodyFrame=resources/basictechs_main.asp

My grandma is very elderly and she was recently told that she has skin cancer on her face. It's risky to do surgery at her age and there's no guarantee it will fully remove the affected area. So, as an alternative, she is trying other things like a mixture of EOs including Frankincense (Frankincense is said to work on tumors). If you are curious, you can search on the topic. I think there is more to EOs than aromatherapy. We also used it in our washing machine to help disinfect items after hurricane Katrina.

I still can't link (sob, sob) but if you google 'foot detox myths' you will find some interesting reading.

But, if the skin on our feet was able to absorb anything, wouldn't we be in danger of stepping in something that could harm us?? 

My high school biology teacher taught us (right or wrong, I have no idea but it stuck in my head) that things like lotion that claim to be absorbed actually aren't.  Makes sense to me.  Isn't our skin there to keep things OUT??

Think of all that fungus and bacteria along with various oils that touch your feet all the time - sure wouldn't want those in my bloodstream!

I've heard of foot detoxes where toxins are pulled from your body and exit through the feet. When you are done the water or pads touching your feet are filthy.

I never had any luck with the Vick's underneath socks for my son's cough but other moms I know did! /shrug.

I do believe in using EOs for certain things. From what I could find you should search more on "Vita Flex Technique" to help explain the foot thing. And here's a chart with some information regarding the feet: http://www.younglivingworld.com/MainFrame.asp?BodyFrame=resources/basictechs_main.asp

My grandma is very elderly and she was recently told that she has skin cancer on her face. It's risky to do surgery at her age and there's no guarantee it will fully remove the affected area. So, as an alternative, she is trying other things like a mixture of EOs including Frankincense (Frankincense is said to work on tumors). If you are curious, you can search on the topic. I think there is more to EOs than aromatherapy. We also used it in our washing machine to help disinfect items after hurricane Katrina.

Just as an FYI, the next time Young Living World posts something that is grounded in real science it will also be the first time.

My great-grandmother always swore by putting stuff like Vicks on feet.  She was adamant about putting it there and not on the chest.  I always thought it was so the vapors wouldn't bother the eyes of little kids/babies.  I remember as a kid my mom would put Vicks on my chest and then cover it with a cloth.  If I opened my eyes, it hurt them.  I swear Vicks was way stronger back then.

I don't know about anything scientific but I can tell you my experience. I have suffered terribly from allergies since moving to the south four years ago. I LIVED on medication, decongestants and couldn't go anywhere without a box of tissues. I bought EO's and an almond carrier oil and had my DH rub my feet every night. He was beyond skeptical and called it my "snake oil". I also bought a diffuser and put the same oils in it at night while I slept.

Within a week I felt much better. Three weeks later and I was off ALL medications. I no longer sneeze all day long and I can breathe all night long. It's been a few months and even my DH has to admit that there is a big change in me. I wear a medallion around my neck with a few drops of the EO's on it when I am at home. I don't care what anyone says, I no longer suffer from allergies.

My daughter had major surgery (b00ks reduction) in November. The doctor gave her gave her three different creams to put on to help the scarring. She wasn't healing as the doctor expected. I researched EO's for scarring and gave her a roll on bottle of it. A month later and the doctor couldn't believe how much better she was healing. She told him about the EO's and he said just keep doing what your doing, it's working.

Like I said, I don't know the science behind it but for my daughter and myself they work.

Essential oils have their uses, but the claims being made the companies promoting them are often outlandish and have no legitimate research to support them.  Unfortunately, some are accepting these claims as true and using them when real medical intervention is warranted.  I follow the blog of one mother pushing EOs as being able cure anything, and within the past few weeks she has announced her intention to use EOs to cure flesh eating bacteria while on a mission trip in Nigeria.  She then followed that up explaining how she used EOs to "heal" her son after he was hit hard enough in the head with a baseball bat to break some teeth. No ER visit, not even a visit to the dentist - she just rubbed EOs on his face as has deemed him healed.

Finally, yes, it is possible to find "links" that support almost, well, anything.  However, not all evidence/research is created equal, and applying some critical thinking and logic should help weed out the dreck.

I don't know about anything scientific but I can tell you my experience. I have suffered terribly from allergies since moving to the south four years ago. I LIVED on medication, decongestants and couldn't go anywhere without a box of tissues. I bought EO's and an almond carrier oil and had my DH rub my feet every night. He was beyond skeptical and called it my "snake oil". I also bought a diffuser and put the same oils in it at night while I slept.

Within a week I felt much better. Three weeks later and I was off ALL medications. I no longer sneeze all day long and I can breathe all night long. It's been a few months and even my DH has to admit that there is a big change in me. I wear a medallion around my neck with a few drops of the EO's on it when I am at home. I don't care what anyone says, I no longer suffer from allergies.

My daughter had major surgery (b00ks reduction) in November. The doctor gave her gave her three different creams to put on to help the scarring. She wasn't healing as the doctor expected. I researched EO's for scarring and gave her a roll on bottle of it. A month later and the doctor couldn't believe how much better she was healing. She told him about the EO's and he said just keep doing what your doing, it's working.

Like I said, I don't know the science behind it but for my daughter and myself they work.

I do believe you. At the same time, you're rubbing it on your feet in addition to other applications. It's the feet part that I'm having a hard time buying.

My great-grandmother always swore by putting stuff like Vicks on feet. She was adamant about putting it there and not on the chest. I always thought it was so the vapors wouldn't bother the eyes of little kids/babies. I remember as a kid my mom would put Vicks on my chest and then cover it with a cloth. If I opened my eyes, it hurt them. I swear Vicks was way stronger back then.

Dh's culture (Mexican) pretty much used Vicks for absolutely everything. Vicks and sprite.

There is absolutely science to back this up...to a point. Things can enter your bloodstream via being absorbed through the skin. Think of all the different medications that are now available through skin patches. And the bottom of your feet is skin, so yeah, it will absorb there, too.

Will it absorb better there versus another part of the body? I have not seen any scientific studies to say yes. I do know that for my own kids, Vicks works better on the soles of the feet than on the chest. But that could be due to other factors than the soles of the feet absorbing it better.

Essential oils do work best through absorption (topical) or through inhalation (aromatherapy). Not orally, which can be dangerous. Any benefits that come from taking them orally is arguably due to their absorption in the mouth, not from actual digestion.

Can essential oils repair damage at a cellular level? Essential oils have a lot of benefits and uses, but I wouldn't put stock in this claim, either.

Actually, you can get certain parasites, hookworm for one, through your feet. 

EOs that contain certain phenols do act on the cellular level if you mean 'Can it kill bacterial cells topically?' Yes they can. A quick search on pubmed will yield tons of results (e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24292348). As is true with any antimicrobial, it matters which strain of bacteria you mean, how long it remain in contact, etc. 7th Generation Disinfectant Spray is basically diluted thymol. French hospitals during the plague used to burn rosemary branches to "cleanse the air." They had the right idea. Vicks' main component is synthetic camphor. Real camphor is certainly antimicrobial. The problem is that camphor is fairly toxic and is limited to 11% in any products now. As little as 0.7 - 1gram has been known to kill babies and toddlers who accidentally ingested it when it was left laying around in a vaporizer or as a pesticide. Topically, it is known as a rubefacient (same as Ben-Gay and Tiger Balm). Basically, it irritates tissue at a local level and sort of makes you feel something different -- for lungs it irritates lungs to the point of making them more sensitive to cold. It feels like therapy but in fact there are no anti-inflammatory effects imparted.

In general, I associate EOs more with killing (bacteria, cancer cells, humans) than with healing.

There is absolutely science to back this up...to a point. Things can enter your bloodstream via being absorbed through the skin. Think of all the different medications that are now available through skin patches. And the bottom of your feet is skin, so yeah, it will absorb there, too.

Will it absorb better there versus another part of the body? I have not seen any scientific studies to say yes. I do know that for my own kids, Vicks works better on the soles of the feet than on the chest. But that could be due to other factors than the soles of the feet absorbing it better.

Here is a research article specifically discussing this issue.

There are variations between individuals in the rate at which drugs are absorbed via the skin due to factors such as thickness of the stratum corneum, skin hydration, underlying skin diseases or injuries, ethnic differences, and body temperature.

http://ceaccp.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/5/171.full

There are parasites that can enter the bloodstream via the feet but that is larva, which can move. *slightly queasy*

I'm curious as to what combo of EO's you used to help with your allergies.  I moved to TX 8 years ago, and we moved farther south in TX 4 years ago.  Last year I got bronchitis twice, and I had never had it before.  A doctor said perhaps I have developed a 'healthy' allergy.  In April, I got a cold that I thought developed into bronchitis.  I went to urgent care, and it hadn't developed into bronchitis, but I had started losing my voice.  However, I was at Great Wolf Lodge, and the chlorine in the air likely aggravated my system.  I was out of town, so I didn't have my inhaler.  Instead I was putting peppermint oil on my chest with a carrier oil (it's all I had with me...I use it for headaches all the time).  I was also inhaling the peppermint oil through a little steam to clear out my system.  I quickly learned you only need one or two drops, not 8.  

Anyways, I read that the pores on the bottom of your feet are the biggest, so I believe that is why they put it on your feet.  I know there are diagrams of your foot being connected to the rest of your body.  I put some Peaceful Child EO on my whole family.  I put it across the toes because it says the toes are connected to the brain.  Is it, who knows.  I bought it for one of my kids, and my other kids ask for it.  They claim it helps them sleep.  When my oldest is doing work and can't concentrate, he asks for it.  I bought the oils to make the peaceful child myself.  Does it work?  I have put it on myself, but I'm a pretty relaxed person, so I'm not a good subject - it has helped me get to sleep quicker.  My son whom I bought this for, he seems to be less crazy.  It is not the cure all, but I believe it does help.  It's kind of like it helps take the edge off.  I started giving him magnesium in a powder form...a friend recommended it saying it helps her with her anxiety.  The combo of the two seem to help him.  IMO...at least I think.  LOL

Since peppermint oil has worked so well on us, I was open to using other EOs.  That stuff works so well for headaches...not big ones.  I have to take aspirin for big headaches, but if I get small tension ones, I put it on my forehead and behind my neck, and the headache goes away pretty quickly.  

For the Peaceful Child, I put it on my son's feet, over the heart, on his wrists and on the back of his neck and rub it down his spine.  All the places it said you could put it.  

Some people swear by the Thieves EO as well.  I bought the ingredients to make that.  Rosemountainherbs.com - sells EOs for wayyyyy less the Young Living or doTerra.  Frankinsence is 1/3 the price for the same amount.  What Rosemountainherbs didn't have, I bought on Amazon - the NOW brand.  

FYI, the "Theraputic Grade EO" is a trademarked term by doTerra.  So they will tell you to "Be sure to buy theraputic grade EO's only..." but you can't find it anywhere else since it is TM by doTerra.  Good marketing.  As long as it is pure, you should be good to go.  Rose Mountain Herbs says all their EOs are organic.  

:)

Actually, lots of things are absorbed through our skin.  Yes, the skin is a level of protection, but it is not an impenetrable barrier. If it were, then medicine in a patch form would not work.  Think Nicoderm patches, Duragesic pain patch, various anti-inflammatory meds come in a patch form.  Even certain birth control formulations came in a patch (not sure if they still do - haven't been in the market for those in a long time.) 

I'm not sold on the EOs cure everything idea, nor do I necessarily buy the absorbed through the feet idea.  I have used EOs successfully for several things - mostly anxiety related.  I have a "happy smell" in a spray bottle that instantly calms me if I am about to lose it during certain times in my cycle (I'm not talking about fretting over really worrisome stuff, but that irrational tension where you want to crawl out of your own skin.)  The trouble is, I don't remember to use it in the moment, but my kids know to spray some around me.  I have a few balms that I use for their aromatherapy properties for sleep, anxiety, inability to concentrate, etc. 

I don't know about lotion, but our skin does absorb things. That's why you don't want to use a lot of toxic products to wash your hair, etc. It's not just the hair being affected, it could be your body absorbing things through your scalp. Yes, I have bleached my hair before. But when I really thought about it, that can't really be good for the body. It's not like the bleach only gets absorbed by the hair when you do your roots. If your skin couldn't absorb things would there be as much public outcry about chemicals in beauty products? Maybe. Maybe not. Are we in danger of stepping in things? Sure! I lived on the gulf coast during the BP oil spill. I certainly wouldn't risk swimming in that water. Yuck.

I honestly can't say whether or not foot detoxes work or are legit. All I know is some people test their blood sugar levels or other things before/after detox and claim they get different results. This is just from reading comments under a "foot detoxes exposed" YouTube link. I haven't done extensive research one way or the other.

Lots of people will roll their eyes at Chinese medicine like acupuncture. Others believe it works. I can search on the topic in either direction and find links that "support" both sides. You can pretty much search that anything is good or bad for you. Seriously, search "water is bad for you" lol.

:iagree:

Actually, lots of things are absorbed through our skin.  Yes, the skin is a level of protection, but it is not an impenetrable barrier. If it were, then medicine in a patch form would not work.  Think Nicoderm patches, Duragesic pain patch, various anti-inflammatory meds come in a patch form.  Even certain birth control formulations came in a patch (not sure if they still do - haven't been in the market for those in a long time.) 

I'm not sold on the EOs cure everything idea, nor do I necessarily buy the absorbed through the feet idea.  I have used EOs successfully for several things - mostly anxiety related.  I have a "happy smell" in a spray bottle that instantly calms me if I am about to lose it during certain times in my cycle (I'm not talking about fretting over really worrisome stuff, but that irrational tension where you want to crawl out of your own skin.)  The trouble is, I don't remember to use it in the moment, but my kids know to spray some around me.  I have a few balms that I use for their aromatherapy properties for sleep, anxiety, inability to concentrate, etc. 

:iagree:

Those patches are not used on the soles of the feet. The soles of the feet are the thickest part of the skin, they are also the *coolest* part of the skin and transdermal patches often use body heat. That is why many of them recommend being placed on the torso. Also the patches would get worn quickly on the feet, those patches are usually on the skin for several days.

I'm curious as to what combo of EO's you used to help with your allergies.  I moved to TX 8 years ago, and we moved farther south in TX 4 years ago.  Last year I got bronchitis twice, and I had never had it before.  A doctor said perhaps I have developed a 'healthy' allergy.  In April, I got a cold that I thought developed into bronchitis.  I went to urgent care, and it hadn't developed into bronchitis, but I had started losing my voice.  However, I was at Great Wolf Lodge, and the chlorine in the air likely aggravated my system.  I was out of town, so I didn't have my inhaler.  Instead I was putting peppermint oil on my chest with a carrier oil (it's all I had with me...I use it for headaches all the time).  I was also inhaling the peppermint oil through a little steam to clear out my system.  I quickly learned you only need one or two drops, not 8.

Eucalyptus can be useful. You can get little "inhalers" at natural food stores which are just little wands with eucalyptus and some essential oils containing menthol. You can also buy the blank wands and put whatever you like in them. I usually use albuterol inhalers but occasionally I run out and the EO ones will help...but I wouldn't do that for more than a day and certainly not for severe symptoms.

FYI, the "Theraputic Grade EO" is a trademarked term by doTerra.  So they will tell you to "Be sure to buy theraputic grade EO's only..." but you can't find it anywhere else since it is TM by doTerra.  Good marketing.  As long as it is pure, you should be good to go.  Rose Mountain Herbs says all their EOs are organic.  

I agree. They just make that up. There is no such thing as "therapeutic grade" it is just a gimmick.

Well Bath & Body Works used to sell kits (might still do) for damaged feet or hands. I had a set for my hands, a friend had the set for feet. The cotton gloves + lotion overnight thing. So skin must absorb the lotion.

Yes the skin would absorb the lotion. My only dispute would be that the soles of the feet would be a superior place for getting essential oil properties to anywhere else except the feet.

I put smelly things on my feet all the time...but only for treating my feet. I have never put anything on my feet while wanting to trea an earache, for instance.

Anyways, I read that the pores on the bottom of your feet are the biggest, so I believe that is why they put it on your feet.  I know there are diagrams of your foot being connected to the rest of your body.  I put some Peaceful Child EO on my whole family.  I put it across the toes because it says the toes are connected to the brain.  Is it, who knows.  I bought it for one of my kids, and my other kids ask for it.  They claim it helps them sleep.  When my oldest is doing work and can't concentrate, he asks for it.  I bought the oils to make the peaceful child myself.  Does it work?  I have put it on myself, but I'm a pretty relaxed person, so I'm not a good subject - it has helped me get to sleep quicker.  My son whom I bought this for, he seems to be less crazy.  It is not the cure all, but I believe it does help.  It's kind of like it helps take the edge off.  I started giving him magnesium in a powder form...a friend recommended it saying it helps her with her anxiety.  The combo of the two seem to help him.  IMO...at least I think.  LOL

Since peppermint oil has worked so well on us, I was open to using other EOs.  That stuff works so well for headaches...not big ones.  I have to take aspirin for big headaches, but if I get small tension ones, I put it on my forehead and behind my neck, and the headache goes away pretty quickly.  

For the Peaceful Child, I put it on my son's feet, over the heart, on his wrists and on the back of his neck and rub it down his spine.  All the places it said you could put it.  

Some people swear by the Thieves EO as well.  I bought the ingredients to make that.  Rosemountainherbs.com - sells EOs for wayyyyy less the Young Living or doTerra.  Frankinsence is 1/3 the price for the same amount.  What Rosemountainherbs didn't have, I bought on Amazon - the NOW brand.  

I use eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary and lemon in an almond carrier oil.

I'm just tired of Facebok friends advertising and trying to push their essential oil products. It is amazing that the brand they use and sell is the only type that really works. It has become a running joke between my Dh and I. Every time someone is sick or has a pain. "Rub some EO on that."Lol No we have never actually used any EO products. ;)

I'm just tired of Facebok friends advertising and trying to push their essential oil products. It is amazing that the brand they use and sell is the only type that really works. It has become a running joke between my Dh and I. Every time someone is sick or has a pain. "Rub some EO on that."Lol No we have never actually used any EO products. ;)

I have studied EOs for over ten years because I make my own soap and bath products. I won't deny that some have certain useful properties but I am not about to tell people to drink them. :lol:

Of course the only true and most sparkly EO is always the one that they are promoting.

Or try some coconut oil.

Or give up gluten.

Or take up Cross Fit

Do all three and you can probably cure cancer!!

There are different levels of essential oils - no, you shouldn't drink fragrance grade; for example. I use EOs a lot in my home and for my children. High quality and pure - there Is a website that does third party testing - http://www.learningabouteos.com/index.php/2013/10/13/3rd-party-test-results-for-peppermint-essential-oil/

I don't sell the essential oils and I have a few brands I buy from. I'm not a doctor or specialist in alternative medicines; but my son went from chronic sinus infections and snoring to a very healthy boy who now gets good sleep by diffusing a blend each night. I also have multiple autoimmune diseases and have seen wonders with EOS. I don't sell them, recommend that you are not brand loyal; great oils from different company. I use an ultrasonic diffuser. I don't rub on the soles of feet, but we do put them on booboos and bruises.

Or try some coconut oil.

Or give up gluten.

Or take up Cross Fit

Do all three and you can probably cure cancer!!

Hehe, yes you must have the same friends. I eat gluten free and use coconut oil sometimes but I still have occasional health problems what gives. You must have to do all three plus the EO to get the full affect. I absolutely hate it when people use friendship to try and sell me something.:P

There are different levels of essential oils - no, you shouldn't drink fragrance grade; for example. I use EOs a lot in my home and for my children. High quality and pure - there Is a website that does third party testing - http://www.learningabouteos.com/index.php/2013/10/13/3rd-party-test-results-for-peppermint-essential-oil/

I don't sell the essential oils and I have a few brands I buy from. I'm not a doctor or specialist in alternative medicines; but my son went from chronic sinus infections and snoring to a very healthy boy who now gets good sleep by diffusing a blend each night. I also have multiple autoimmune diseases and have seen wonders with EOS. I don't sell them, recommend that you are not brand loyal; great oils from different company. I use an ultrasonic diffuser. I don't rub on the soles of feet, but we do put them on booboos and bruises.

I appreciate when people share stories about personal experiences with what works for them, but I can not take them seriously once I find out they are selling said product.

I don't sell anything.  LOL.  If you were to only get ONE EO to try, I would say PEPPERMINT OIL.  It works for headaches.  I put it on my kids when they complain about headaches.  They ask for it.  I put some in a roller bottle, it's easier to put on that way.  I bought something at Bath & Body Works once that was for headaches...it was peppermint oil (likely diluted with a carrier oil) in a roller bottle.  

If you have a really bad headache, the Peppermint Oil likely won't cure it.  I carry the Peppermint Oil around in my purse.  

Vicki