Menu

Window to the World vs Excellence in Literature....

Through the years I have read great things from both of these and have had them on my radar for high school.

I understand that WttW is a semester course, and EIL offers full year courses with books selected for each course as well as offering honors options. Would a student learn literary analysis and how to write literary analysis (real instruction, not just assignments) from both of these courses? Are they both necessary? I am trying to understand the differences a little better... Thanks, I'm ALL ears...

EIL does not really teach Lit analysis. It discusses literary elements and provides writing assignments with samples. If your child learns well from an overview, discussion with you and seeing the output expected, they can get all they need from EIL. If you want more detailed teaching of lit analysis I understand that WttW offers it, but I have not used it to know more than that.

WttW for lit analysis. The author of EIL recommends WttW and The Elegant Essay before EIL.

Would The Elegant Essay and WttW be enough for an English credit in 9th or 10th grade?, or would you need to add in additional literature?

Can the EIL Intro course be done in conjunction with Elegant Essay and WttW?

If Elegant Essay and WttW were completed in 10th, could a student then begin EIL at the American Lit. level for 11th and British for 12th?

The only question of those three I can answer is the last one.

Yes, a student could begin at American Lit in 11th and do British Lit in 12th.

That is not to say if EE and WttW would fill the credit or credits before that, just that you can jump in at that point in EIL. :)

WTTW will teach literary analysis. You can also get the guid by Jill Pike from IEW to stretch WTTW into a year long course.

I would do WttW first and then you could do the EIL series after that.

I used WttW with the Jill Pike syllabus with my oldest, and am now using it with my middle child.  The syllabus beefs it up significantly, adding in To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet.  I think it is one of the best resources available to teach an introduction to literary criticism.

I used WttW with the Jill Pike syllabus with my oldest, and am now using it with my middle child.  The syllabus beefs it up significantly, adding in To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet.  I think it is one of the best resources available to teach an introduction to literary criticism.

So if I were to use the WttW with the syllabus from Jill Pike, that would give us one year of literature and writing... and this would be sufficient for an Intro to Lit course, in which then we can continue subsequent years with EIL Am Lit and EIL Brit Lit???

Would I need to add in another writing program with the above for literature to give one full English credit?

So if I were to use the WttW with the syllabus from Jill Pike, that would give us one year of literature and writing... and this would be sufficient for an Intro to Lit course, in which then we can continue subsequent years with EIL Am Lit and EIL Brit Lit???

Would I need to add in another writing program with the above for literature to give one full English credit?

No, if you use the Jill Pike syllabus it covers 28 weeks worth of work and I think it is plenty.  If you wanted to you could add in another novel (or two).  THe first five weeks of the Pike syllabus utilizes the Teaching the Classics videos for an introduction to plot, conflict, setting, character, and theme, with short stories to read and worksheets to complete after the viewing.  Then the WttW lessons begin, with a biblical allusions project and plot anaylsis.  The first essay is not due until week 12, but the students start working on it starting on week 9.   

If you want your student to write more, I would add it to history or science, perhaps doing a reserach paper (could be 5 pages if this is their first one).  But you should be fine giving one credit for WttW for English:).  I would think you would then be able to move on to EIL, but if you also wanted to do the Elegant Essay, you could condense WttW (which wouldn't be too hard) and add in Elegant Essay before you moved on :).