Menu

Cozy Read Alouds

nature girl

What are your favorite read alouds for the 4-5 set? I'm looking for good bedtime reading that will put a smile on my DD's face, stories that soothe in the vein of the Brambly Hedge series or Teddy Robinson...with no suffering children, Big Bad Wolves or evil step-parents. :001_smile: A good storyline would be a plus, but actually not critical for what I'm looking for!

:bigear:

ETA: Curious George is very popular around here! Also Paddington, as Whitehawk suggested below. Oh, and Frances ... as in "Bedtime for Frances" (though in that one, Frances imagines lions and monsters) and "A Baby Sister for Frances."

Thanks! We've actually read some of these, but to give you some idea, my DD got freaked out by Bobby Dot dying in Toys Go Out (although she loved the series, she demanded we read them all, but this was a year ago and she's still talking about it!) and she got worried about Paddington when he got into mischief, even knowing it would all end up well at the end of each chapter. (She loved the stories, but I couldn't read them at bedtime, I could feel her tensing up.) Beatrix Potter stories are often the same way. :unsure: So yeah, we're dealing with a child that gets so involved in stories that she has a hard time sleeping, seems to think about them well into the night. Pooh is perfect, we've gone through the stories once and I'll be reading them again in a few months since her understanding will be deeper.

How did I forget about Frances? We read some of the books a couple of years ago, but I think they were a bit over her head at the time, they should be perfect now! I'd never heard of Twig, but it looks great and it's in my Amazon cart now. Funny because just TODAY we got Big Susan in the mail, also written by Elizabeth Orton Jones. I wasn't sure if she'd be ready for Mr. Popper's Penguins, but I actually own the book, so I'll definitely try it! Thank you!

In the first audiobook thread there was a recommendation for Usbourne's Farmtales.  They are very gentle and nothing bad ever happens, and they all start in precisely the same way.  I think the least gentle story is about a pony that is scared of its owner and the Boot family buys it.  Why the pony is scared is never said, although he does carry a stick.  My almost 4-year-old loves them.  

We love The Adventures of Pip, by Enid Blyton. They are very short, so great for the end of a big day, where neither of us have the energy for complex plots or characters, but we still get our cosy, bedtime reading in. I like that there are little nature lessons in each story, rather than the character lessons in many of Blyton's short stories for young children.

Thank you all! Such great suggestions, I've just ordered a bunch. Eagle, we LOVED Dogger, I don't know how I forgot about Shirley Hughes, those look perfect. And I'd never heard of Adventures of Pip, but reading the sample it looks perfect! Just bought it, Twig, the Usborne book and Raggedy Andy (we read Raggedy Ann last month and loved it), and have the others on hold at the library. I'm excited!

There is story about a toy bear with a button missing from his green overalls and a girl named Lisa. I am blanking on the name right now, but it seems like a very gentle series.

ETA: Paddington Bear! Corduroy!I just remembered it. It is Paddington Bear Corduroy. I don't know how 'exciting' his adventures get but the first one is very gentle and ends with a nice hug.

excuse me, my doofus is showing...

A bonus about the Corduroy book is that the little girl is black.  We aren't prejudiced, and I'd to make sure DD doesn't ... I don't know, drift? into being prejudiced by only seeing white people.  The book is also very sweet and cuddly, so I'd have liked it regardless.  

I second Mr Poppers Penguins

Little House in the Big Woods. They do butcher animals to cure meat, but you can skip that easily if she is extremely sensitive.

My son couldn't do curious George for a long time, because the monkey was so naughty.

I highly recommend Robert McCloskey Picture books. They are sweet and gentle.

Virginia Burton Lee is great also.

James Herriots Treasury for Children is sweet as well.

Mercy Watson stories. They are prechapter books. There are 6 in total. 2 stories per each book I think. My son is rather fond of them.

Ooo we LOVE Teddy Robinson!  I'm pretty boring and have used many of the same books with both kids: Charlotte's Web, Uncle Remus (and anything read by Julius Lester), Swiss Family Robinson, the Chronicles of Narnia, Dr. Doolittle.  Really though, if you want an oddball suggestion, try CHOW.  It's surprising to me how much my ds enjoys it!

Thanks! We've actually read some of these, but to give you some idea, my DD got freaked out by Bobby Dot dying in Toys Go Out (although she loved the series, she demanded we read them all, but this was a year ago and she's still talking about it!) and she got worried about Paddington when he got into mischief, even knowing it would all end up well at the end of each chapter. (She loved the stories, but I couldn't read them at bedtime, I could feel her tensing up.) Beatrix Potter stories are often the same way. :unsure: So yeah, we're dealing with a child that gets so involved in stories that she has a hard time sleeping, seems to think about them well into the night. Pooh is perfect, we've gone through the stories once and I'll be reading them again in a few months since her understanding will be deeper.

How did I forget about Frances? We read some of the books a couple of years ago, but I think they were a bit over her head at the time, they should be perfect now! I'd never heard of Twig, but it looks great and it's in my Amazon cart now. Funny because just TODAY we got Big Susan in the mail, also written by Elizabeth Orton Jones. I wasn't sure if she'd be ready for Mr. Popper's Penguins, but I actually own the book, so I'll definitely try it! Thank you!

Bobby Dot dying freaked me out! It was extreme. My girls all loved the series though.

• 2 weeks later...