Menu

Oregon Gas Stations

Gil

Because I don't want to derail the other thread about the weirdo at the gas station, but I just have to know...what someone meant about Oregon gas stations...and how exactly this plays out in real time. So, if you are from Oregon can you tell me:

How many people man a gas-station?

How many pumps are usually at the gas-station?

If you want to pump your own gas, can you?

Does this mean there are no 24hr gas stations in the state or do they keep them staffed 'round the clock???

What about truck stops with 18wheelers and such?

How do you pay? (I wouldn't feel comfortable handing my debit/credit card off to a bunch of random people at the gas station)

What if you want to go inside the store?

What if you want to wash your windows/fill your tires/vacuum your car? Isn't it creepy to do so with people breathing down your back?

lol, I guess the gas stations I frequent tend to be busy and small-medium in size, so I just can't picture how this works in real time.

Its funny because we had a discussion about what 'self-serv' meant at gas stations just recently and I honestly had no idea why the distinction, I didn't know that full-service gas stations were like, ya'know, a thing. We concluded that it was so that people who needed help would know they would have to honk to get service.

Also, I don't hand my card to people, I swipe it myself in the little card-swipey-thingey at the grocery store and I pay with cash whenever I go to a restaurant--which is extremely rare.

No, you are not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon. It was weird not doing it when we moved here, but now I'm (mostly) used to it. Because I'm a midwife, I know not to go to bed without gas in the tank, since you can't always get gas in the middle of the night.

In the olden days, like in my lifetime, there were only full serve stations. Later stations would have a row of pumps that were self serve. And a few stations opened with only self serve. I remember my refusing to go to self serve only for years. She did not want to learn to pump her own gas. For health reasons she had to stop driving in the late 80s. If she had lived as long as her twin sister (my mother) I think she would have eventually adjusted. 

I guess some of you have never seen full serve.

How many people man a gas-station?  Depends on the size of the gas station but there is always at least one attendant.

How many pumps are usually at the gas-station?  2-4 at most small stations, sometimes more at larger ones (but usually there are more attendants)

If you want to pump your own gas, can you? No. It is illegal.

Does this mean there are no 24hr gas stations in the state or do they keep them staffed 'round the clock??? They are staffed 24 hrs

What about truck stops with 18wheelers and such? We have a commercial acct because we own our own business. At commercial stations (like Pioneer Fuel) where you have to have a commercial acct to pump gas, you can pump your own. I'm not sure if it's the same at truck stops because I'm not a trucker.

How do you pay? (I wouldn't feel comfortable handing my debit/credit card off to a bunch of random people at the gas station) Credit card or cash, like anywhere else.

What if you want to go inside the store? It depends on the station. You can go inside and pay for your soda and gas at the counter if that's what you want to do. 

What if you want to wash your windows/fill your tires/vacuum your car? Isn't it creepy to do so with people breathing down your back? I've never really thought about it. They don't really pressure you to move along.

Full service gas stations used to be the norm.  At one point it would have been considered odd to have to pump your own gas. I live in WA but I love having someone else pump my gas when we're in OR.  In the PNW it rains a lot- who likes standing around pumping gas when it's cold and wet and windy?

The gas stations that I've been to all have been regular sized with several pumps.  Usually a couple of guys working there.  They don't stand there pumping your gas the whole time.  They start on your car and then go start another car.  They usually have one of those hand-held credit card machines that you can swipe right there.  If you want to go inside you can do that while they're filling your tank or you can go in afterwards.  A lot of times they will wash your windows.  I've never seen anyone fill their tires or vacuum their car while they are pumping gas.  Usually that is something you do afterwards or beforehand in a separate area.

dd is moving to Pa next week and she does not know how to pump gas, heck I do not know how, dh does not know how, nor does anyone in his extended family nor any of our friends lol.  I told dd she will just have to find someone that looks nice and ask them to show her how or if Pa has stations that you can choose full serv or self serv, she needs to ask an attendant to show her how.

We get our gas at Super Wawa's here in NJ which have lots of attendants so we never have to wait long, it is no biggie.  When I have to get gas and it is either pouring rain or freezing cold and the poor attendant looks miserable but is still pleasant to me, I will tip him cause I am so happy I am not out there pumping the gas.

I live in NJ and am always flummoxed when I am in other states and expected do do my own pumping with spraying gas ll over the place. I sit in the car and answer email or something while the gas is being pumped. I pay in cash and get a discount

The attendants will check your oil if requested, add extra oil/wiper fluid if needed, check your tires unless the station is really busy. Sometimes they clean windows, in which case I tip, or I can step out and do windows myself. What's not to like?

Once, when I was driving from MD to CT, I stopped for gas in Nj. I was flabbergasted that all stations are full service! I know I told the attendant, "what? I didn't think full service existed anymore!"

I don't like full-service gas.

Once, when I was driving from MD to CT, I stopped for gas in Nj. I was flabbergasted that all stations are full service! I know I told the attendant, "what? I didn't think full service existed anymore!"

I don't like full-service gas.

What's not to like? You never even have to get out of your car, and it doesn't cost extra.

What's not to like? You never even have to get out of your car, and it doesn't cost extra.

We tip when in Oregon so it does cost more. Besides hubby likes to get out of the car so that he can stretch his legs while filling up the gasoline on road trips.

I'm sure most of it is in what you're used to, but it just feels helpless to me. Seems like why should someone be employed to do something that practically anybody can do themselves.

*snip*...I don't like full-service gas.

I don't think I would like them either. It just seems so weird to have people hanging around you/approaching your car at the gas pump.

I think it would make me feel edgy--like I were going to be jumped or something.

We are taking a trip south for the summer, but now I kind of wish I could take one North just to try the full service gas stations, lol.

ETA:

I'm sure most of it is in what you're used to, but it just feels helpless to me. Seems like why should someone be employed to do something that practically anybody can do themselves.

On the flip side, I'm all for employing people! It is always good to have some extra jobs in the area! I wonder if the attendants are specially trained or certified in something? It would be neat if they had a place that you could take a lesson in pumping your own gas though!

Makes me want to set up shop on the border of NJ that will give a 30min lesson in basic gas-pumping to travelers for a flat rate fee!

I don't think I would like them either. It just seems so weird to have people hanging around you/approaching your car at the gas pump.

I think it would make me feel edgy--like I were going to be jumped or something.

We are taking a trip south for the summer, but now I kind of wish I could take one North just to try the full service gas stations, lol.

Nobody hangs around you, and the attendant only "approaches" your car so you can tell him what kind of gas you want, and how much you need. It's not like he or she stands around to chat.

It's not like a stalker or anything. :D It's just some guy or woman who sees what you need, fills up the tank for you, and sends you on your way.

I'm not sure what would be weird about it. :confused:

One time I forgot and got out of the car to pump gas. I knew, but I forgot. (I'm not from Oregon, so it was habit.) I put the pump in and the guy came to yell at me. When I told him I forgot he said he would call the police and I would get some large ticket (don't remember the amount.) I got back in the car and he called the police. The officer came out and talked to me but didn't write a ticket. This was in Enterprise; I love love love eastern Oregon and have spent lots of time/money there but that really turned me off and I haven't been back. I guess the police don't have enough to do, other than harass people who are apologetic and compliant and visiting their town.  :001_rolleyes:

Later when I asked my friend, a 4th generation Oregonian in her 70s, what was up with the infantilization, she shrugged and said, "Everyone's got a cousin snaggletooth who needs a job. What would they do with them if people pumped their own gas? Keeps 'em busy."  :D  She passed away earlier this year and I miss her.

I HATED them in Oregon.  I used to spend time in Portland on work trips.  

The main problem was filling up the gas tank before turning in the rental.  I often took the red-eye home or flew out early in the morning.  Both of which meant I was looking to buy gas when they were closed.  It was a work rule that we were supposed to fill up the tank to avoid the inflated gas prices form the rental agency.  

I asked about the no self-serve law, and I was told the logic was that it was unsafe to be around gas fumes.  I pointed out that no self-serve meant that a few people were breathing gas fumes there entire working day.  

Nobody hangs around you, and the attendant only "approaches" your car so you can tell him what kind of gas you want, and how much you need. It's not like he or she stands around to chat.

Where I come from people getting jumped/mugged at gas stations is not unheard of. It doesn't happen daily but several times a year at least so it isn't an unfounded worry on my part. I was stabbed at a gas station when I was a teen (they thought I was someone else) so to this day I am on-guard when I am at a gas pump.

It's not like a stalker or anything. :D It's just some guy or woman who sees what you need, fills up the tank for you, and sends you on your way.

I'm not sure what would be weird about it. :confused:

lol, I'm nearly 26yo and have never seen a full-sevice station before. I don't even think I've even seen one on TV so it just seems...novel to me. I wasn't aware such a thing existed until about an hour ago. For what it is worth I also don't like Sonic--which is a drive in restaurant place where the waitresses come up to you while you are in your car to bring you your order. It just feels so freakin weird to me.

Gil, I can't get your post to quote, but I wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened to you! :(

I think full service stations are far safer than self-service, because you never have to get out of your car. You barely even have to open your car window. And if the attendant looks creepy when he is walking toward you, you can simply drive away.

Gil, I can't get your post to quote, but I wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened to you! :(

No biggie, I lived and it was years ago! Besides that which doens't kill you makes you stronger, right? (and mildly paranoid, but lets focus on the positives :rofl: ) It was actually really bizzare because she thought I was someone else and actually freaked out almost worse than I did after realizing her mistake and before running away from the scene. Its odd to think that my being non-fatally stabbed, might have saved someone elses life. If I had been 'Donny', she probably would've killed me. I sincerely hope that the horror she felt upon stabbing an innocent person scared her straight.

I think full service stations are far safer than self-service, because you never have to get out of your car. You barely even have to open your car window. And if the attendant looks creepy when he is walking toward you, you can simply drive away.

We tip when in Oregon so it does cost more. Besides hubby likes to get out of the car so that he can stretch his legs while filling up the gasoline on road trips.

Huh.  I lived in Oregon for 9 years and never tipped, nor saw anyone tip. 

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, and sometimes need to go to NJ.  When I do, I always plan to stop for gas, because not only do I not have to pump it, it's cheaper than gas at home.

I grew up (in NY) hearing my dad say, "Fill 'er up!"

Then we moved to CA & there was a discount (5¢/gallon?) to pump your own gas (1980s).

Then I lived in NJ & had to have someone else pump it. Didn't like waiting, no discount, not always open, etc. Annoying that it was actually against the rules.

In Europe we pumped our own.

In Mexico you don't pump your own gas. I'm pretty sure in Japan that's also true.

I can't understand why anyone would complain about not having to pump their own gas.

Full service rocks. :)

Higher cost.  My budget is very limited and I often can only put in $5-10 at a time.  A tip would make my life much more difficult, unfortunately.  Plus, I'm shy.  I love self-serve everything. 

We were in Oregon last month for the first time.  I had NO idea you couldn't pump your own gas.  We went to fill up our rental car at midnight in a really not great part of town (unfortunately where we had our last minute hotel-long story).  Dh got out to pump and was very confused.  We had no cash at all to tip with-everything on the card with receipt for job expenses, so we felt really weird.  

Higher cost.  My budget is very limited and I often can only put in $5-10 at a time.  A tip would make my life much more difficult, unfortunately.  Plus, I'm shy.  I love self-serve everything. 

We were in Oregon last month for the first time.  I had NO idea you couldn't pump your own gas.  We went to fill up our rental car at midnight in a really not great part of town (unfortunately where we had our last minute hotel-long story).  Dh got out to pump and was very confused.  We had no cash at all to tip with-everything on the card with receipt for job expenses, so we felt really weird.

In NJ, there is no tipping, you can buy as much or as little gas as you'd like, and the cost is no higher.

I vaguely recall full service when I was a kid in upstate NY.  Last summer, I accidentally ended up at a random full service station on the way to the airport in Boston when it was pouring rain.  I was running late (horrible traffic) and I was a little flustered because I didn't know whether to tip the guy.  I would still rather have done it myself just to avoid the human interaction at that particular moment.

Huh. I lived in Oregon for 9 years and never tipped, nor saw anyone tip.

The guy stand around and waited for a tip. We thought since service was rendered, tip was expected by the guy.

We went to gas stations in Medford, Eugene, Ashland, Mt Hood and we tipped. Maybe it's our California license plate proclaiming us as tourists making people wait for tips?

I live in Oregon. I love not having to pump my own gas. And I've never known anyone who tips.

I wanted to respond to the last question.

What if you want to wash your windows/fill your tires/vacuum your car? Isn't it creepy to do so with people breathing down your back? Nobody breathes down your back. Usually the gas attendants are busy enough that they enter your payment information, put the nozzle in your car, and move on to the next customer until it's time to take out the nozzle. And if there are no other customers, they chat with their co-workers. :)

In the olden days, like in my lifetime, there were only full serve stations. Later stations would have a row of pumps that were self serve. And a few stations opened with only self serve. I remember my refusing to go to self serve only for years. She did not want to learn to pump her own gas. For health reasons she had to stop driving in the late 80s. If she had lived as long as her twin sister (my mother) I think she would have eventually adjusted. 

I guess some of you have never seen full serve.

pump your own started in the 70's with the "oil crises".  you'd get a discount for pumping your own, and the gas stations wouldn't have to employee as many people.  but I also remember when "full service" included putting air in your tires, checking your oil, and cleaning your front AND back windows.  they did introduce "semi-serve" for people who just wanted gasoline, but they still pumped it.

What if you want to wash your windows/fill your tires/vacuum your car? Isn't it creepy to do so with people breathing down your back? I've never really thought about it. They don't really pressure you to move along.

trucks stops have a commercial/big rig side and a passenger car side.  some run 24 hours and some don't.  really depends where you are.  you do have to pull away from the pump when your tank is full, but there is parking if you need to go inside.  we tend to stop at truck stops when we drive through (eastern oregon at least) because they have better prices than regular stations. 

when going to portland and are going to be doing much driving, we try to fill up just before crossing the boarder. gas is cheaper.  if we have to refill before comign back to wa - we put in how much we think we need, then finish filling once we cross back into washington.  dh has his favorite stops before crossing into oregon.

the attendants have a handheld card reader so they swipe your card right there.  I've never tipped

Because I don't want to derail the other thread about the weirdo at the gas station, but I just have to know...what someone meant about Oregon gas stations...and how exactly this plays out in real time. So, if you are from Oregon can you tell me:

How many people man a gas-station?

Usually 2-4, unless it's very large or very small. One person often stays in the mini mart for people who pay inside or buy snacks/cigs.

How many pumps are usually at the gas-station?

8-20? I think it's no different than anyplace else.

If you want to pump your own gas, can you?

Nope. Sometimes you have to honk if there is one attendant who is in the market. But you have to wait for them to do it.

Does this mean there are no 24hr gas stations in the state or do they keep them staffed 'round the clock???

There are some 24 hour stations, but by no means all. So yes, you may need to be strategic if you are driving around at night. It's probably more common to have 24 hour stations off the freeways, and limited-hour stations in towns.

There are specialty stations that cater to truckers. Often they have their own credit card that can be used at their chain. They often have showers, laundry facilities, and a bigger market.

How do you pay? (I wouldn't feel comfortable handing my debit/credit card off to a bunch of random people at the gas station)

It's no different than handing your card to someone at a restaurant. The pumps still have the same card reader as in other states, so the attendant just swipes your card in front of you and hands it back. They may ask for your billing zip code.

What if you want to go inside the store?

You take your keys with you and go in while your gas is pumping. Some places have your go in to pay with cash, so you pay at the counter and tell them which pump you're on. No one has a fit if your car is done before you are back out. Oregonians are very polite.

What if you want to wash your windows/fill your tires/vacuum your car? Isn't it creepy to do so with people breathing down your back?

You can wash your windows while your car is filling. The air pump and vacuums (if they have them; usually vacuums are at the car washes) are around the side of the building, out of the way.

I only tipped once, when a teen attendant washed my windows without me asking. It is definitely not expected! Some managers have their staff wash windows whenever it's not too busy, as a way to show good service.

I have to pump my own gas now, and while it is a tiny bit faster, it's also much colder. Our gas is significantly more expensive than Oregon's too.

Huh.  I lived in Oregon for 9 years and never tipped, nor saw anyone tip. 

I've lived here almost all my life and have never ever seen or heard of anyone tipping the gas station attendants. They just fill the tank, I say "Thanks a lot. Have a nice day," and off we go.

They'll usually wash the windshield for me, too, unless they're busy. As a general rule, the people that fill my tank at gas stations pretty much anywhere I've gone in the state have been super-courteous and friendly.

Cat

My in-laws live in NJ, so I've filled up there several times. I always thought it was funny, this point-of-pride my FIL took with "Jersey Gas." He'd instruct us to fill up before we returned to PA every single time.

Also, I confess some disappointment the first time I had a full-service experience. I'd expected something more than...well, more than handing my credit card to a uniformed man and asking for him to "fill it with regular." He proceeded to use exactly the same machine that I'd use myself if I were across the river. I wanted more secrecy or showmanship or complexity - something more than exactly what I would have done. 

And I do remember several occasions where I had two or three screaming, overtired children in the back of the minivan and our attendant was off helping other customers after our tank was filled. I know I waited only a minute or two, but that time and my loss of agency (at helping my crying kids, at leaving and lulling them to sleep) felt like a year.

We moved to Oregon last summer. Getting used to not pumping was an adjustment but I love it.

The cost is not more and they definitely do not expect to be tipped. In fact they usually don't even hang around long enough to get a tip.

They scan my card right there at the pump where I can see it.

Someone said Oregonians are polite. They really are! I can count on one hand the number of rude interactions I've had since I've lived here. It's great!

I've lived in Oregon most of my life and have never seen or heard of anyone tipping at the gas station. Our gas is significantly cheaper than California's and often cheaper than other states around us. The only place I ever have to wait is at Costco, but never for more than a few minutes. At Costco, you can swipe your own card because they use a PIN.

I love it . . . when I had a baby and lived in KY I hated getting out of the car to pump my own gas. Twice the card wouldn't swipe so I had to wake up my baby and get her out of her car seat to pay inside.

I have had the opposite problem of some of the PPs. Twice in my life I've pulled up to a station in other states and sat in my car wondering where in the heck the attendant is. I'm embarrassed to say I waited longer than a few minutes when I first moved to KY.

For what it is worth I also don't like Sonic--which is a drive in restaurant place where the waitresses come up to you while you are in your car to bring you your order. It just feels so freakin weird to me.

You are clearly The Devil. I am ridiculously far from a Sonic for a girl born and raised in Sonic's birthplace.

Interestingly, this issue has come up on the ballot three times in the last twenty years and each year self service gas is cast down with a huge majority. People here like it and, before the recent tax in Washington, paid almost five to ten cents more a gallon for it.

As for weird, it isn't any different than self service grocery stores. We had our gas cap stolen once and when we went back they tried to sell it back to us for ten bucks. My husband LOST IT. Still talks about it. It is the only issue we have ever had.

I'm old enough to remember when every gas station here in NC had full service.  And I remember the advent of self service.  That seems like a long time ago.

My BIL can tell a very funny story about leaving here in the evening with my SIL and niece.  They were on the way to a basketball tournament my niece was playing in in Connecticut.  It's the middle of the night, they need gas and he needs to stretch his legs (SIL and niece are sleeping, or at least dozing, in the car).  And they're in NJ and he has no clue about not pumping it yourself.  The way he tells it, it got pretty funny when the attendant literally ran out to him, almost screaming at him for getting out of the car and beginning to pump his own gas.  Apparently a very interesting (IYKWIM) conversation occurred.

Some of our stations around here will let you get gas anytime, even if the store part is closed.  The pumps are always open, you just have to pay with a card.  I guess that can't happen in NJ or Oregon!

dd is moving to Pa next week and she does not know how to pump gas, heck I do not know how, dh does not know how, nor does anyone in his extended family nor any of our friends lol.  I told dd she will just have to find someone that looks nice and ask them to show her how or if Pa has stations that you can choose full serv or self serv, she needs to ask an attendant to show her how.

We get our gas at Super Wawa's here in NJ which have lots of attendants so we never have to wait long, it is no biggie.  When I have to get gas and it is either pouring rain or freezing cold and the poor attendant looks miserable but is still pleasant to me, I will tip him cause I am so happy I am not out there pumping the gas.

She'll be fine. (Native Oregonian here, who had to start pumping my own gas at 22, so I speak from experience.)

All gas pumps have handy instructions printed right on them. Usually with pictures. :-)

And these days most pumps take credit cards, so they have the little electronic screen that also coaches you through the process.

I've lived here almost all my life and have never ever seen or heard of anyone tipping the gas station attendants. They just fill the tank, I say "Thanks a lot. Have a nice day," and off we go.

They'll usually wash the windshield for me, too, unless they're busy. As a general rule, the people that fill my tank at gas stations pretty much anywhere I've gone in the state have been super-courteous and friendly.

Cat

OK I feel better now.  We moved from Oregon 7 years ago, and I was wondering if things had changed and tipping was now required/expected.  That would be so weird.  As a pp said, why should you have to tip for a service you have to use?   It's not like there's a choice.  

We can't pump our own in NJ.  It's way too dangerous!    We all grow up hearing the stories of cars exploding in other states.  I think Dr.Seuss even wrote one.

I'm finding this whole thread amusing.  I grew up and still live in NJ.  I do know how to pump gas since I spend time in PA and other states.

Even with full-service, we pay less for gas than most of the neighboring states, and from what I hear many other states.

I like the fact that dd doesn't have to get out of her car to pump gas when she comes home from work at 11pm.  Most highways have multiple 24 hour stations, at least in my area of the state.  Many Quik Chek's (a 24 hour convenience store) have gas stations.

And of course, I LOVE not having to get out of the car in rain, snow, cold or when I had babies.

Whenever I have a choice, I go to full-service stations.  We have one in my town and I love it.  The weather here is horrid for much of the year and being able to stay in and toasty is great.  It is especially great when you have a baby or small child. We always keep a few $1 bills in the glove box.  I am not sure if tipping is the norm, but I always do.  Now that the regulars know me, they always wash my windshield and check my tire pressure (after asking me if it is OK first).  The gas costs the same as the self-service stations so I am not sure how that works out.

Full service gas stations used to be the norm.  At one point it would have been considered odd to have to pump your own gas. I live in WA but I love having someone else pump my gas when we're in OR.  In the PNW it rains a lot- who likes standing around pumping gas when it's cold and wet and windy?

The gas stations that I've been to all have been regular sized with several pumps.  Usually a couple of guys working there.  They don't stand there pumping your gas the whole time.  They start on your car and then go start another car.  They usually have one of those hand-held credit card machines that you can swipe right there.  If you want to go inside you can do that while they're filling your tank or you can go in afterwards.  A lot of times they will wash your windows.  I've never seen anyone fill their tires or vacuum their car while they are pumping gas.  Usually that is something you do afterwards or beforehand in a separate area.

Laugh. When I lived in WA, my roommate was from OR so we went down there for holidays. We'd do everything we could to make sure we didn't need to get gas in OR. Fill up right before leaving WA, etc.