Menu

Which? Pathway Readers ... or ... R&S "God is Good" series

I would like to find a series for oldest DD to use for reading practice.  She just finished "The Horse in Harry's Room" -- able to read it with a bit of help but not independent at that level yet.  I have LOTS of those sorts of books (Frog & Toad, Edward/James Marshall books, Little Bear) but she is not comfortable with them yet.  I'm looking for something a bit more vocabulary-controlled.

Looking at Pathway Readers ... but then I remembered the "God is Good" series.  They both look good, but perhaps there is more content (and more room for progressive growth) with Pathway?  If you've used one (or both!) which would you go with?

Has anyone used the "God is Good" series?   DD likes reading about animals, which is one reason I'm looking at them.

Thanks!

We have had both (and several other reader sets), we still have the pathway readers. They are the only ones my children enjoyed to just read for fun.  The pathways have more sight words at the beginning than say the revised McGuffey readers.  Not sure if that fully answers your question, but hope it is helpful.

I prefer the pathway to r&s, BUT my DD loves and has shown great progression with the Usborne reading sets (I have a link in my sig). The very first reading set has 15 books and a parent guide and each book gets more challenging. Also, each book has larger text which is phonics based, and also smaller more challenging text that you can read to them while they read the larger text... Called "dual readers" - eventually they read large and small text individually. Can't recommend enough.

We have both and my ds prefers the pathway readers. He likes the God is Good series, but doesn't ever choose to read them for fun like he does the Pathway Readers. I think they would both be good for growth though. Both have challenged my ds, but not so much that he gets frustrated.

Can you get both? :)  We enjoyed them both--the Pathways are fun because you follow the same family (and later some neighbors, I think? or at least another group of children).  But both boys really enjoyed the God is Good books--I forgot I had them!  Thanks for reminding me--- Little Guy is working through readers!

I will say, we have put Pathway aside for now because it is so sight-word based.  I'm wanting to work more on phonics so we are just reading our Christian Light Learning to Read primer and some library books--

Betsy