Menu

Results of testing tomorrow; do we take DS10?

Hello! The results of DS10´s adhd testing will be given tomorrow; TOVA, IQ, and achievement tests. My first choice is to take him to the appointment, after all these are his tests, but he has been very fearful that he will get low scores on the IQ and achievement tests, and I don't want him to be stressed or upset over them. I don't think he has the objectivity to understand that sometimes adhd kids don't do well on these tests because they cannot focus well, not because they lack intelligence.

Any advice on what to do? Take him, but ask him to step outside the room when the psychologist gives us the scores?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Absolutely not.  (As soon as I say that, someone will have a different opinion.  Great for them.   :lol: )

You need the privacy to ask serious questions, and if you don't have those questions yet then start making the list.  We asked about driving, if she was safe to babysit, and we went through all the academic subjects to discuss how to handle them.  We discussed discipline, certain misunderstandings, and hard situations.  We discussed meds and the possibility of school, and I was able to ask those questions without worrying about what someone was overhearing.  We were with him a couple hours, but I'm sorta talkative.   :D

This time is about helping you parent.  You then tell the dc what you want him to know in a way that makes sense for him.  

Take him because he would be fearful waiting at home anyway imagining the worst.

When discussing the results, one parent can always stay with the child in the waiting area. My boy just played in the waiting area while hubby and I discussed with the psychologist.

We asked my dad to watch the kids while dh and I went. I'm glad since it was a lot to process.

But if I didn't have family or a babysitter, I would take him but then split the appt by meeting with the doc first while ds sits in the waiting room then bring him in for the second half. Good luck!

The pychologist and testing people have all been wonderful so far.

It has been an intense two weeks of testing and follow-up appointments, we haven't done much school at all, but I am so very glad we got it done.

Basically, his IQ is gifted, he is strongly ADHD, and the achievement test showed he was working at well above grade level.

I guess he is 2e then, but right now I don't know what that means except that I really need to learn more about educating a 2e child.

He will be doing cogmed, behavioral therapy, and medication for the adhd; our appointment with the psychiatrist is this morning.

Thanks for asking! :)

So I'm curious.  Did he have any education advice that surprised you?

The psychiatrist who we saw today only spoke about DS10's adhd, issues he has regarding learning and behavior, then we mostly talked about medication.

The counselor who evaluated DS10 and administered the tests did offer some advice, but frankly I had heard every bit of it before from the wise people on this board: short learning sessions, set a timer for 15 minutes, and when that 15 minutes was up, move on to another subject, and make a sheet with several tear-off strips on it; each time DS10 gets off task, tear off a strip, show it to him, and remind him to get back on task. If he uses more than 10 strips in a day, then he loses a privilege.

The psychiatrist who we saw today only spoke about DS10's adhd, issues he has regarding learning and behavior, then we mostly talked about medication.

The counselor who evaluated DS10 and administered the tests did offer some advice, but frankly I had heard every bit of it before from the wise people on this board: short learning sessions, set a timer for 15 minutes, and when that 15 minutes was up, move on to another subject, and make a sheet with several tear-off strips on it; each time DS10 gets off task, tear off a strip, show it to him, and remind him to get back on task. If he uses more than 10 strips in a day, then he loses a privilege.

Well, at least you found out the people on here aren't completely off their rockers... :) most of the time, anyway.  :lol:

Do you feel that the meeting today was productive at all?

So I'm curious.  Did he have any education advice that surprised you?

Well, at least you found out the people on here aren't completely off their rockers... :) most of the time, anyway.  :lol:

Do you feel that the meeting today was productive at all?

Very productive because we discussed medication options, and she answered some questions I had about long term effects of taking the medication.

DS10 will be taking Strattera. She gave me several optons, and I thought we could try a non-stimulant first.

I wouldn't.  I would want to know what the results were before sharing them with my kids.  Plus, my outtake appt was 3 hours long!  The kids would have been climbing the walls if I had taken them.

I am happy he didn't go to the outtake appointment, although he didn't believe me at first when I told him his IQ score was high. The psychiatrist mentioned it today, and he seemed to believe her, so I think he just needed some time to think about things. :)

I am happy he didn't go to the outtake appointment, although he didn't believe me at first when I told him his IQ score was high. The psychiatrist mentioned it today, and he seemed to believe her, so I think he just needed some time to think about things. :)

At one point, one of my kids was so frustrated that she would pull her hair while calling herself stupid. It was just heartbreaking, esp because I pulled her out of public school to avoid that kind of frustration.  After her testing, I told her that we now have proof that she's smart so she had to stop saying she's stupid.

At one point, one of my kids was so frustrated that she would pull her hair while calling herself stupid. It was just heartbreaking, esp because I pulled her out of public school to avoid that kind of frustration. After her testing, I told her that we now have proof that she's smart so she had to stop saying she's stupid.

DS 10 called himself stupid almost daily, and was getting very frustrated that he could not concentrate, which was why I got him tested.

The Strattera is giving his a tummy ache and making him tired, so I will lower the dose tomorrow.