Menu

Tell me what tablets your family uses

CupOCoffee

Well, my 6 year old laptop has quit  :(

While a new laptop is not really possible right now (especially the kind that DH likes to build, being all computer geeky and all), we might be able to get a tablet.  So talk to me about that tablets you all have.  I don't have to do a whole lotta fancy stuff.  Right now, I mostly use my laptop for FB, this forum and others, and shopping on Amazon.  I don't need to play games, I don't need to watch movies, I don't have to have a camera.  Basically I really just want it to surf the net -- I hate having to do FB or anything internet on my phone, way too small and I cant type well on it.  If I really, really have to have the fancy features, I can steal the kids laptop for a bit.

If you tell me what your family uses, I will pass the brands onto DH so he can do some research.  He's not that familiar with this type of gadget.  

Thanks!

~coffee~

We have:

Nook HD (2 for my oldest 2 kiddos, would be fine for what you listed, no camera, can store extra on a SD card, bought refurbished on ebay, no problems, easy to find cases/covers etc, about $80 refurbished, on sale sometimes for $150 new)

Samsung Note (for DH, I am saving for one.... i super double puffy heart it. but I do a lot more on it than you listed. may be more than you need, about $260 refurbished, $500 new)

Also another option might be to fix your current laptop. We just fixed DH's 5 yo HP laptop for about $60 (new hd and had to get CDs from HP because DH did not have his originals). Laptop batteries are cheap also. Those are typically the 2 main things that go on laptops: HD and batteries.

I am also looking at getting a chromebook for school work (about $130-160 refurbished on ebay).THat would do all you mentioned.

I am big on getting refurbished as you can tell and as long as the seller has a warranty and good rep then I have had no problems so far.

Just be sure of what you need (camera/3g option, etc.). I would get at least 16gb memory on board and at least a dual core processor for any tablet.

My kids and DH have cheap walmart android tablets that have worked great for several years--they were $50-$75 each.  I have a kindle fire that I like.  The boys' cheapy tablets are actually quite a bit nicer than my kindle--they have great camera and video options and more memory.

When our last laptop broke, I bought a refurbished Dell from tigerdirect.com for $150 and it is a great laptop for the kids' school stuff in the playroom.  I would totally go that route again for a  "backup computer".  It was cheaper than fixing our laptop.

Our "best" laptop is just a $450-ish Dell from Sam's so we're not exactly computer connoisseurs.  It has been nice to see that we have gotten good use out of inexpensive options--

Betsy

I am also looking at getting a chromebook for school work (about $130-160 refurbished on ebay).THat would do all you mentioned.

I have a Chromebook. It's actually my second, so clearly I like them well enough :) I can't imagine doing things like forums or anything else that involves lots of typing without a real keyboard. A tablet seems more appropriate for viewing than for regularly typing anything longer than a FB update.

Thank you all for your input!! I will pass all this along to DH.  I use a Samsung something-or-other for one of my duties at work, but of course since it's a work machine, the only thing I am supposed to be doing with it is the inspection reports ;)  I am not even sure what model galaxy it is to tell the truth.  But, I am used to handling it and typing on it, since the report program we use for the inspections is ONLY on that dang blasted thing!  Anyway, I've gotten rather good at typing on it so not having a keyboard won't really be that big an issue.

I immediately had thought of the Fire, since I love my Kindle so much anyway.  So we shall see.  My hubs is the type of consumer that researches things to death before he makes a decision -- reading, reading, and more reading about every single product, lol.  It's one of the things I love most about him because he always tried to get us the best possible product, but it's also one of the things that frustrates me most about him because I am more like a "oh 10 ppl love that one, let's just buy that one" kind of shopper :)

~coffee~

We have three Kindle Fires and one Ipad Air. We use the Ipad much more and like it much better. The Kindles were all bought primarily for the kids to use on a long trip we went on (we bought them all used or refurbished). If I'm going to read, I prefer the size of the Kindle but I prefer real books so I don't use it that often for reading. I don't like the screen size of the Fire for doing things online. The Ipad gets used all the time, by everyone.