Menu

Talk to me about Jousting Armadillos (and the rest of the series) - please :P

AimeeM

Is this a stand alone program (all three books, I mean)? If so, do all three books equal a pre-algebra program?

I have a 12 year old who needs to quickly review pre-algebra (although she seems to have mastered most of arithmetic), but I'm looking for something that isn't incredibly tedious, a bit fun, and that we can move through quickly. It would hit my sweet spot if somebody told me that all three books in the series equals an Algebra 1 program with pre-algebra review, but I doubt that'll happen, lol.

Allow me to make your day. . . . the first book is preAlgebra, mostly, and the second two books are Algebra 1.  You could do all three for a lovely PreAlgebra review plus Algebra 1 program.  They aren't tedious, they are fun, and we did the first book pretty quickly.  The only downside for me on using all three was the cost - but if that's not an issue, go for it!  My dd loved JA.

Allow me to make your day. . . . the first book is preAlgebra, mostly, and the second two books are Algebra 1.  You could do all three for a lovely PreAlgebra review plus Algebra 1 program.  They aren't tedious, they are fun, and we did the first book pretty quickly.  The only downside for me on using all three was the cost - but if that's not an issue, go for it!  My dd loved JA.

You're my new favorite person!!!!

With that said (lol) - I read on here that there were some topics in algebra 1 that are not covered in the JA series. Should I grab Jacob's Elementary Algebra to fill in some holes (it looks like the JA author likes his books?)?

Is there a good amount of review in the books? (dyslexic; working memory issues - fantastic conceptual understand of math concepts, but weak memory for memorizing procedures/algorithms)

I only have the first book, but you can download the Scope & Sequence of all three from the Arbor School website and then compare it to a standard text.  Compared to the AoPS scope and sequence, it seems light, but then that's a very heavy-duty algebra book, so I don't know that it is a fair comparison.  It covers most of the same material in Jacobs, but Jacobs would have more problems for each section, including more review problems.  You could certainly use it as a primary and then use Jacobs for more problems.    

It''s my impression that all three books cover what is in Jacobs Elementary Algebra - Jacobs has a lot of review/PreAlgebra material at the beginning of the book.  So if you are thinking of doing Jacobs anyway, it may be redundant.  But again, you could use the JA books for the presentation and then use Jacobs for extra practice, I suppose. 

There isn't a lot of review in the books, no.  There is a short review section at the end of each lesson, but I wouldn't say that there are lots of problems/lots of review.  It's very mastery-style.

I only have the first book, but you can download the Scope & Sequence of all three from the Arbor School website and then compare it to a standard text.  Compared to the AoPS scope and sequence, it seems light, but then that's a very heavy-duty algebra book, so I don't know that it is a fair comparison.  It covers most of the same material in Jacobs, but Jacobs would have more problems for each section, including more review problems.  You could certainly use it as a primary and then use Jacobs for more problems.    

It''s my impression that all three books cover what is in Jacobs Elementary Algebra - Jacobs has a lot of review/PreAlgebra material at the beginning of the book.  So if you are thinking of doing Jacobs anyway, it may be redundant.  But again, you could use the JA books for the presentation and then use Jacobs for extra practice, I suppose. 

There isn't a lot of review in the books, no.  There is a short review section at the end of each lesson, but I wouldn't say that there are lots of problems/lots of review.  It's very mastery-style.

That sounds great. I might pick up Jacob's to use for review. I do not anticipate her needing review for the first JA book (as I'm using *that* book AS review), but it might be a good idea to supplement the other books with Jacob's.

I wonder how it would work alongside AOPS, or if AOPS would be too far over her head (reading heavy).

We're going to try AoPS Intro to Algebra.  JA introduced her to the discovery method, and she loves it! So she's really game to try AoPS now.  I may have underestimated her in not having her do it for PreA, but I was afraid it would be too much.  I am making her master the PreA portion of Alcumus before I let her start the Intro Algebra book, and we use AoPS PreA to review anything we need to - so far, just negative exponents - but I credit JA for a gentle intro to the discovery method which makes the AoPS style seem much more approachable than it would have been before we used it.

In short, I think JA is an ideal bridge to AoPS - then if AoPS works, I think the other two books are unnecessary, but I have them in the back of my mind if we get stuck in AoPS.  Another poster here is using the 3rd book, I think, alongside AoPS to help her son when he needs extra practice or more scaffolding than AoPS gives.  That's another option, but a pricey one, so we're going to take a stab at AoPS on its own first.

Do you have AOPS Intro on hand? How wordy does the text seem to be? Is the sample page on the site pretty telling of the book in general?

I might skip Jacob's, use JA as summer review of pre-a, and see how she does with the discovery method before deciding on a fall curriculum.

That sounds like a good plan!

I do have the Intro Algebra text, and it's still wordy, but it seems more straightforward to me, less convoluted & complicated than the PreA text.  It's hard to articulate exactly, but it's easier to use and understand, for me.  Hence I have hope that it might be a better fit for dd, too . . . .