Menu

Fold-over Waists: how do they stay up?

I have tried a few on. I even made one for myself that actually fit me. I had to add elastic.

I don't see how it's possible for them to stay up. I hear all the time how comfy they are. No one seems to have the problems I do.

Maybe it's because I am more voluptuous than most on the bottom? I have Very Broad hips and a smaller waist for my size. I also have a generous backside. In order for a skirt to fit my wider parts, the waist is flopping around on me.

Am I doomed to a life without the joy of fold-over bottoms? Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm right there with you.  I don't think they are designed for those of us with small waists, even when the pants sit low on the hips.  The only ones I can wear have a bit of elastic in them.

I have one skirt with a fold-over waistband and I can't stand it for that reason.  It just flops down so far you can see the seam between the patterned part of the skirt and the black fold-over part.   I always wear shorts under my skirts (or leggings in the winter) so with that skirt, I usually tuck the fold-over waist band into the top of my shorts.  It's much more comfortable for me that way, and I don't feel like my skirts about to fall off.

I've never found elastic waist skirts uncomfortable.  I guess I'm really no help at all today.

I don't think uncomfortable is the word I would use. Just...ill-fitting. 

Do you not feel like you are about to walk out of your clothes? Or that hips are indecently snug? Are you comparatively slim in the hips?

They don't work for me either (waist significantly smaller than hips). I have one pair that I wear around the house/as pjs and I actually wear the waistband unfolded and going up my torso. It's more comfortable that way and it stays up better.

All pants are difficult because a low rise cuts me off mid curve and the pants slide down or create bulges. I have to find a curvy cut with a longer rise. Julie style at Loft work well for me.