Menu

Do you think this would be a good idea? All opinions welcome

Chris in VA

I'm having such a nice time teaching my sweet 7yo friend. We do SOTW once a week.

I am thinking of offering a class for homeschoolers at my home. I'd offer:

SOTW 1, 2 days a week. First day, read a chapter section, optional (while I read) coloring page, then narration and an activity. Second day, finish chapter, do the map, do a game or activity.

First thru 3rd graders. Hour and a half.Limited to 4 kids.

SOTW 2, 2 days a week, or 3 days a week. The 2day class would be the same as above. The 3day class would have readings from SOTW, a narration, a map, and two activities, and a read aloud. Hour and a half.

For 2-4th grade. Limited to 4 kids.

So I'd be teaching 3 classes. I'd do SOTW 1 from 8:30-10am, Tues-Weds. I'd do SOTW 2 2day class Tues-Weds 1030-noon. I'd do the SOTW 2 3day class Mon-Weds-Thurs 1pm-230pm.

What do you think? Is 4 kids too many? Is that a good age span? What should I charge? (I am thinking $10 a class, but that may be too much--however the group is small.) I would charge a $50 supply fee and require the parent purchase the student pages (I have the books). Would include timeline pictures and notebook pages. They would be making a notebook but they'd provide the binder.

For narrations--

1st graders do oral narrations. Those capable copy a sentence. 2nd graders, oral narrations and more extensive copywork based on their narrations. 3/4 graders oral narrations then we edit together and they write on their own.

Sounds like a fun idea to me. 4 kids doesn't like too many, especially with that tight of an age range. On the price do you mean per class or the whole semester/year? Around here $10 per class would be more than people could afford but $10 for the year is way too little, unless you want to do it as a ministry. 

I would wonder about the timing. Many see History as an "extra" and would prefer to get the basics done in the AM and then do extras just before or after lunch, kwim? Maybe send out an interest survey to your local homeschool community? And I totally think you could do more kids per class and be fine (depending on your space/comfort level) with that small of an age range.

Here a homeschool PE class that is 1 hour per week charges $45 per month with discounts for multiple kids from one family. (they provide all supplies)

What if a family came to you and had 1st and 4th graders?

Also, I agree about mornings being held hostage for math/LA.  While I would be interested in giving my dc the opportunity to do a history class with you (Awesome idea!), I would not allow it to be in the morning.

I'm not sure. Is there another class you could offer piggybacking it? I'm just thinking of me, as a typical homeschooling mom. I'll have a kiddo in the SOTW age range in another year or so, with a much older kiddo at home, and a too-young-preschooler/older-toddler.

1.5 hours isn't enough time for me to really get anything done outside the home, and still make it back on time, nor is it enough time for me to go home (I'd be turning right back around after half an hour or so). SOTW is something that, at home, doesn't take more than 30-45 minutes a couple times a week with one child.

Now, if you were to also offer science... say, 1.5 hours of SOTW and then, the same day, after short break, an hour of science? I'd be all over it, lol.

Pricing... I wouldn't pay $100-$120/monthly just for SOTW. That's just *me*, though, because it really doesn't take a lot of time on its own at home to implement. I would, however, pay around $150/monthly for a SOTW/Science combo, twice a week. Happily. Especially if it's hands on and group activities.

If you have two groups (SOTW 1/SOTW 2, plus a science piggy back), at around $150/monthly each, with a class max size of 4 per class, that's 8 students, and about $1200 monthly for about 12 hours of work each week. Not shabby.

But I know I didn't really answer your question as posed, as I added a science class to your mix. Lol!

It sounds like a great idea. And I've read enough of your posts to get to "know" you a bit and I think you would do a great job.

However, I will be very honest: at $10 per class, one chapter per week, I would not pay $720 for someone to do SOTW with my child for a year. And given that I have 3 who could take your classes I certainly couldn't afford $2160 per year!!

I don't think that all the chapters in SOTW warrant all the extra work and a cost of $20 per chapter. Some chapters my kids listen to the audiobook (borrowed from the library) and color a page while I cook supper and we call it done. :)

I truly don't mean to sound negative about it. I live in a very high COL area. People pay big $$ for their kids to be in enrichment classes but I would be willing to bet that most homeschoolers here would balk at that kind of cost. :( for a child to do all 4 SOTW books over time that would cost almost $3000! Ack

Also, for the younger kids I think 1.5 hours is long for day #2. My kids do map work and I insist on effort and quality but I think you would find the kids done and restless long before the time was up, especially on day two, unless you add in another activity or craft.

For me to do it, I would prefer a time after noon, but $80/month would be too much.    I would pay that for a high school math class or something I truly have to outsource, but

I don't put SOTW in that category.   I might pay 40/mo for one child.   I don't think 4 kids per class is too many at all.

Thanks for the feedback!

I would wonder about the timing. Many see History as an "extra" and would prefer to get the basics done in the AM and then do extras just before or after lunch, kwim? Maybe send out an interest survey to your local homeschool community? And I totally think you could do more kids per class and be fine (depending on your space/comfort level) with that small of an age range.

Here a homeschool PE class that is 1 hour per week charges $45 per month with discounts for multiple kids from one family. (they provide all supplies)

I could do a discount! Good idea. I would want to keep it small in order to be able to do narrations.

What if a family came to you and had 1st and 4th graders?

Also, I agree about mornings being held hostage for math/LA.  While I would be interested in giving my dc the opportunity to do a history class with you (Awesome idea!), I would not allow it to be in the morning.

First and fourth would be ok.

I am offering an afternoon class.

I'm not sure. Is there another class you could offer piggybacking it? I'm just thinking of me, as a typical homeschooling mom. I'll have a kiddo in the SOTW age range in another year or so, with a much older kiddo at home, and a too-young-preschooler/older-toddler.

1.5 hours isn't enough time for me to really get anything done outside the home, and still make it back on time, nor is it enough time for me to go home (I'd be turning right back around after half an hour or so). SOTW is something that, at home, doesn't take more than 30-45 minutes a couple times a week with one child.

Now, if you were to also offer science... say, 1.5 hours of SOTW and then, the same day, after short break, an hour of science? I'd be all over it, lol.

Pricing... I wouldn't pay $100-$120/monthly just for SOTW. That's just *me*, though, because it really doesn't take a lot of time on its own at home to implement. I would, however, pay around $150/monthly for a SOTW/Science combo, twice a week. Happily. Especially if it's hands on and group activities.

If you have two groups (SOTW 1/SOTW 2, plus a science piggy back), at around $150/monthly each, with a class max size of 4 per class, that's 8 students, and about $1200 monthly for about 12 hours of work each week. Not shabby.

But I know I didn't really answer your question as posed, as I added a science class to your mix. Lol!

I was thinking I could do a nature journaling class with digital photography as a "sometimes' option for making nature notebook pages. Hmmm...

It sounds like a great idea. And I've read enough of your posts to get to "know" you a bit and I think you would do a great job.

However, I will be very honest: at $10 per class, one chapter per week, I would not pay $720 for someone to do SOTW with my child for a year. And given that I have 3 who could take your classes I certainly couldn't afford $2160 per year!!

I don't think that all the chapters in SOTW warrant all the extra work and a cost of $20 per chapter. Some chapters my kids listen to the audiobook (borrowed from the library) and color a page while I cook supper and we call it done. :)

I truly don't mean to sound negative about it. I live in a very high COL area. People pay big $$ for their kids to be in enrichment classes but I would be willing to bet that most homeschoolers here would balk at that kind of cost. :( for a child to do all 4 SOTW books over time that would cost almost $3000! Ack

Also, for the younger kids I think 1.5 hours is long for day #2. My kids do map work and I insist on effort and quality but I think you would find the kids done and restless long before the time was up, especially on day two, unless you add in another activity or craft.

Thanks so much for your kind compliment.

I totally know what you mean--I personally couldn't afford to have dd in a class like I'd offer. It's actually less than $20 a chapter, since there are 42 chapters and the class would only run 35 weeks, but yes, it'd be around $750 for the year.

Yes, both days would have an activity. I particularly enjoy cooking. I like to add things to the AG--for instance, one day we made both Viking Bread and Alfred Cakes, tasted them, and did a Venn diagram to compare/contrast. That takes a bit of time. I allow a break for littles or kids who need one.

AFA cost--Funny how people around here will pay $10 an hour for me to babysit (or more), but not for a class where their kiddo will actually learn something. It works out to $6.50 an hour.

Still more thinking to do.