Menu

Signs of art gifting/talent by 6

I'm not emotionally invested in the answer but if DD is, I'd like to be supportive. It's foreign to me as I am, and have always been surrounded by, STEM types ;). So this constant drawing and going through tons of paper, always insisting on carrying something to draw on/with (which trashes our cars and elsewhere because she doesn't carry it back in/put it away), is it just a fixation/phase? I might have been inclined to just label it as that but compared to older DD, she seems to have significantly more of an eye for detail and elaboration on her drawings. Embellishments on animal fur and clothing, etc. and far more creative expression than older DD (who worried much more about getting it "right").

So for kids who later turned out to have some artistic talent or gifting, did they look anything like this? The one adolescent I know who has a talent for drawing, this is what stood out to me-she draws all the time.

Whether it is or isn't a "talent," be supportive of her interest, but don't push it IMO.  Many kids lose their self-motivation if a pastime becomes a duty of any kind.

BTW, drawing doesn't strike me as un-STEM.  She might just be starting drafting a little early.  ;)

I would just follow her lead.  Don't make a fuss or anything.  Just acknowledge when she shows you stuff.  "Oh, I see you drew an animal.  What kind of animal is it?  I see it has a bushy tail."  That's what I'd do.

Here are some previous discussions:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/510262-art-questions/?hl=%2Bkistler&do=findComment&comment=5572978

I buy cardstock in huge amounts.  DD uses mechanical pencils and sharpies primarily to draw, so I stock up on those as well.  Now that DD is older, she has started coming with me to a local farmer's and artisan's  market and does sketches of people for $.  We ask them to pay what they like and she usually gets a few $ per sketch- about 5 minutes time on her part.  She is also at an age now where meeting fellow artists is important to her. 

When she was younger we just offered up supplies, lessons/resources and encouragement. 

My oldest is artistically gifted. He was NOT prolific, though, and deeply resented people wanting him to "work" when other less talented children were not asked to do the things he was asked to do.

I have no natural talent and we lived in poverty for much of his childhood. Even when there was money, his dad was...just not invested in his family and...things like art were not a priority to him.

The principal at my son's charter school told me that he was the most naturally talented child artist she had ever met. She offered him free art classes with the school's art instructor, but he insisted she wasn't equally talented in the areas he was interested in learning about and declined. She was a painter and he didn't want to learn to paint.

My son graduated from junior college at 19, where he did NOT take any of the offered art classes, and after working for a few years, he tossed around the idea of going to art school. He decided not to, though, and built a house and got married instead.

I used to stress and worry so much about such talent going to waste. We have talked about his talent now that he is an adult. Why does he have it? Is he supposed to do anything with it? And deep philophical questions that this type of thing raises.

I have no point to what I am writing, because I have never known what the point of his talent is. It's this fluke that has brought mostly sadness and few laughs, and even got him sucker-punched once, and too-often accused of lying when people see a drawing that he claims to have drawn.

:grouphug:

She sounds a lot like my oldest and myself. I really like the book Drawing With Children. I think it is good for adults too. It is very basic and could help all levels. I was an art major in university (twice lol) and it even helped me. You might want to check it out at the library.

I guess I should add the one of my other children shows some talent in art as well, but he doesn't have the passion thus far.  DD has a passion for art.  If she didn't have a desire to create, then I wouldn't push her to do so.  Though I might still encourage her to take advantage of any natural skills when choosing a career. Because she is so prolific and enjoys the process, I tend to assume that she'll have a career that involves art in some way- even if she is just doing graphic art or illustration. 

I have this issue too. I'd almost rather my DD wasn't artistic, because of that whole starving artist thing. But every time she picks up a writing implement, she draws (all over her math, her copywork, etc.) Her drawings are incredibly detailed and busy and tell a story.  I mean, they're not totally life-like, but people tell me they're good. She had art instruction from an actual artist in preschool, and I don't know if that helped or hurt. I don't know enough about art to know if she's gifted at this or not. I did decide we're going to make time for actual art projects this year, using Art Lab, Discovering Great Art, CU Chicago, etc.

Here's another thread where we've talked about encouraging artistic talent/ability in our kids.

After having dd#1 who is "allergic to pencils," it was a shock when dd#2 was seemingly "born with a pencil" (Ouch!). DD#1 has her nose in books all the time. Dd#2 has her pencil & sketchpad all the time. I have to limit to three pages a day of loose paper per kid and I'm still drowning in drawings. Dd#2 has complained that our refrigerator is "too small" since she cleans it off at least once a week to make room for new sketches and there still isn't enough space.  :lol:

Most of us who have a kid like this are  :confused1:  with what to do with them.

Lately, I'll admit that I've taken to "commissioning" greeting cards from dd#2 for birthdays, graduations, and get-well cards. She makes a little cash and it expands her usual subject matter (horses, girls) a bit. She's done a couple of butterflies, a brown bear wearing a bow-tie, a cat tail among cattails, a shark, and a mortar-board-wearing-skull (with a snake for a tassle) just within the past month. Saves me going to the store and they are all very personalized. A friend's mom just put an order in for two birthday cards for her kids and she agreed to do it in exchange for stamps. (I make her buy stamps to send mail to her friends since she does it so often. Did I mention this dd likes to write, too?)

I'm always  :bigear:  for ideas on this topic because she kinda has me  :blink:  and  :001_unsure:  most of the time.

That's interesting that she's invested in the answer. If I could talk to her, I'd tell her that her work ethic is more important than any natural talent. So if she's driven to produce a lot, great!

Oops, sorry, that wasn't clear. I was saying, I"m not invested in her being artistically gifted, but if she IS (gifted, that is), then I want to be supportive and not inadvertently do something that squashes that desire/drive.

Lots of great advice and links, too! I might have erred on the side of too many lessons, so I appreciate your reminder to assess the style/manner of the teacher for rigidity.

I've seen a bit of the Drawing with Children book, I need to pick up a copy, then! 

Alrighty, then, so what's the cheapest way to get paper? I can see maybe I should buy stock in it. Ha!

And from what I've read of CM, get the materials but make sure they are quality materials, right?!

Her favorite thing right now? Creating with the Montessori metal insets: https://www.google.com/search?q=montessori+metal+insets&num=20&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zX95U93YNtadqAa74oHoCw&ved=0CE8Q7Ak&biw=1327&bih=750#imgdii=_

All it means is that she likes to draw :)  

I have two that were/are like that.  Older DD phased out of drawing and into painting, then out of painting and into sculpting.  She doesn't spend a lot of time sculpting at the moment, but she certainly has a knack for it.   She's also into fashion design, though she doesn't draw her designs, she grabs scissors and a piece of fabric or a piece of clothing she no longer likes and "fixes" it.  She wants to be either a hair dresser, chef or midwife when she grows up.  I think it's cool that 2 out of the 3 really honor her creative bent in a direct way.

Younger DD still draws, and makes her own comics and stories.  However, she wants to be an actress when she grows up, not a visual artist.

I haven't done much of anything to help them with art.  I just let them have unfettered access to paper, pens, crayons, etc.  Both DH and I are also realllly encouraging people.  I can always find something positive to say about pretty much anything they create.  Sometimes it as small as "I love the shade of purple you used for the sky."

BTW, totally LOL'd when you described the state of your car.  That's pretty much the status quo of our back seat. :)