Menu

Book suggestions for healthy living

This home educating year was full of stress, a wonderful school year, but it was to the detriment of my health. I have a developmentally delayed daughter that takes a lot of my time and the home educating of the other children.  So, my "theme" for the family this summer is going to be a focus on Healthy Living, mentally, spiritually, and physically. I'm looking for book suggestions to help with this process, any ideas? I bought "Whole Life Nutrition" which is a wonderful whole foods guide and recipe book that i'm going to start using. So I have the nutrition end covered. 

Thank you!

The documentaries: King Corn, Food Matters, and Food Inc (some on Netflix?) are wonderful.  And Fed Up is in select theatres now. 

Books:

Get Your Fats Straight

Cure Tooth Decay (NOT just about teeth, but an all over nutritional info)

Nourishing Traditions

And, as mentioned, anything by Michael Pollan

I think Joel Salatin has a book out too. 

I kinda think these are all reads for the parent's though.  I think if it was just for summer, I'd read the book you have, and focus on plenty of Vit D from the sunshine (while discussing why we need it), exercise outside (swimming, hiking, biking, skating, etc) and discussing how exercise promotes low stress levels and endorphins!  Fun exercise though.  Find a place to get fresh produce and talk about in-season foods, go get it from the ground (farm?) and talk about where our food comes from.  Just throwing ideas out...