Menu

In search of "music schools" for a young, incredibly talented friend

My friend's daughter has "for real" talent in singing.  Her voice teacher is ecstatic to have discovered her.  She's had more of an unschooling background and four year university doesn't appeal to her (and probably isn't an option).  She has described what she's looking for as somewhere that she can go for a couple of years and do something real with music -- be completely immersed in music, classes, lessons, etc.  I've done some preliminary searches and found nothing, but honestly, I don't think I even know enough to know what I'm searching for.  I know my piano teacher wanted me to go to Shenandoah Conservatory in Virginia, so I've searched under "conservatory" but still can't get a feel for what she needs.  I do believe that something is out there for her, though.  Suggestions or ideas are appreciated -- the more outside the box, the better.  Thanks!

Are you thinking of something classical like Julliard or the Curtis Institute? Or perhaps you could look at bios of performers you like and what their training was.

But my suggestions are totally IN the box, lol, and you wanted out of the box.

How old is the girl? Some magnet schools have superb performing arts programs, professional quality.

Does she act in musical theater? NYU and Carnegie Mellon have strong musical theater programs and I know people from my high school who used those programs to launch a career in professional acting.

ETA: I also know a girl who tried to break into opera. She attended the Boston Conservatory but never landed a spot in a professional opera company. She's now a music teacher.

Does she act in musical theater? NYU and Carnegie Mellon have strong musical theater programs and I know people from my high school who used those programs to launch a career in professional acting.

ETA: I also know a girl who tried to break into opera. She attended the Boston Conservatory but never landed a spot in a professional opera company. She's now a music teacher.

I am in an area where a lot if kids work professionally in theater. Not full time, but doing shows (real Actors Equity type shows). One thing they all say - and this is before college -- is that they try to get as wide a range of experience as possible, different genres, acting, dance, because they will be much more employable. I do know at least one outstandingly sublime singer who does not do this, but she is not planning a career in music.

I used to go to Met Opera auditions. So many great singers, so few jobs. I also had a friend who was an opera singer. She had to live in Europe. The houses are close enough to commute. In the U.S., few and far between.

All excellent ideas and suggestions.  I do realize that it would be ideal for her to plan to study music in a college setting -- there are all sorts of reasons that college is probably not going to happen.  You've helped me realize that she needs to first define her goals -- does she want to sing professionally?  does she want to continue theater? -- and then work back from the goal to the ways to make it happen.

I think what she might really have in mind (that would be more realistic for her) are community groups.  She could work her "day job" and find community music and drama groups to fill her need of, well -- community.  

I welcome any and all additional ideas!

Her day job could be as a private voice teacher.  She will need either college or some *very* good luck in performance experience in order to make that a full-time job.  

If she's THAT talented, maybe a music scholarship might make college more attainable.  She might need to look at a smaller school.  She might need to be willing to be a performance face for a school trying to grow a music dept.  I know of a few cases where a "meh" student was granted full-ride based on their voice alone. 

Looking outside the box is good.  Maybe there are other boxes...of different shapes and sizes.

Get her auditioning for college scholarships, auditioning for shows, auditioning for everything.  The experience in auditioning is priceless, and something will turn up at some point.