Menu

HELP! Chicken Soup...

mathmarm

So, the cooking conundrum continues and the current chapter is, you guessed it, soup. Chicken Soup.

Every time I make it, the result is a salted and reasonably seasoned broth with BLAND chicken/vegetables floating within...Is there anyway to get the vegetables and the chicken itself to be more flavorful? No matter what recipe I use, the results are bland and uninspiring. When I eat others chicken soup--it is flavorful and well seasoned! What am I doing wrong?

Cook just the broth in a soup pot.

Pan fry the chicken in butter/bacon grease, season well with salt, pepper, garlic. When it is almost cooked through, take it off the pan and set on a plate, the heat will continue to cook the chicken.

Sauté onion, carrots, celery, and whatever other veggies you want to add to your soup. When they are just starting to get a nice brown on them, take them off.

Dice the chicken and veggies and throw them into your soup pot with the broth. You shouldn't need to cook this much longer, though it's fine if you do.

Cook just the broth in a soup pot.

Pan fry the chicken in butter/bacon grease, season well with salt, pepper, garlic. When it is almost cooked through, take it off the pan and set on a plate, the heat will continue to cook the chicken.

Sauté onion, carrots, celery, and whatever other veggies you want to add to your soup. When they are just starting to get a nice brown on them, take them off.

Dice the chicken and veggies and throw them into your soup pot with the broth. You shouldn't need to cook this much longer, though it's fine if you do.

Yep. 

If the chicken and veggies are cooked too long in the broth, all the flavor goes into the broth.  Overcooked chicken is going to be stringy and flavorless.

Another way, though this takes a lot longer, is to roast the whole chicken just till done, remove the meat, boil the bones for broth (add a little vinegar), then shred the chicken and add to the strained/defatted broth just to warm it through. 

I cook my veggies first in olive oil so that soften.

I make up a big soup ball with chunks of onion, cloves of garlic, bay leaves, parsley, etc that I cook in the broth and remove before serving.

I also roast the chicken, pull it apart, then add it to the broth.

Everything only cooks long enough in the broth to cook the noodles.

My chicken tends to be tough---even if I boil/precook it for a few hours.

If you boil chicken for a few hours, it will be tough. You want to cook the chicken until it is just done, whatever method you use. If you are going to cook it in broth or water, you want poach it. Poach it at a temp so it is just simmering, teeny tiny little bubble. Poaching boneless pieces takes about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size and thickness. Bone in pieces take longer.

Did you add an acid? In addition to those things one always adds it needs acid.

I add some lemon juice to mine.

If I made the stock I do change out the vegetables because they will be exhausted by the time it is done.

When I go to Costco I buy 1 or two rotisserie chickens.

We eat quite a bit of it but we usually have some left over. I will trim off the meat and throw the carcass in the crockpot with onion, garlic, I usually toss in some herbs de Provence, carrots, and celery. I usually leave that cooking overnight.

Once it is done I strain it out and skim off any fat. I will then add fresh carrots, celery, green onions, rosemary, parsley, garlic and some lemon juice. I add homemade egg noodles and once those are done I will toss in the left over chicken.

I also use roasted chickens but those rotisserie chickens are cheaper than it is for me to roast them. :/

SUCCESS! It worked! Oh, my gosh it actually came out and everything tastes seasoned and the broth is very flavorful!!! Thank you all so much!

Hubby--who has a pretty picky pallet--actually had seconds!!! OH...MY...GOSH!!!

I used carrots, celery, kale, potatoes and onions in my soup and everything actually tastes good!!!

All I can really say is thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

SUCCESS! It worked! Oh, my gosh it actually came out and everything tastes seasoned and the broth is very flavorful!!! Thank you all so much!

Hubby--who has a pretty picky pallet--actually had seconds!!! OH...MY...GOSH!!!

I used carrots, celery, kale, potatoes and onions in my soup and everything actually tastes good!!!

All I can really say is thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Yay!

:grouphug:

:party: