Menu

Reading comprehension for 9 year old

So my ds is reading well, but when he reads to himself he reads fast and doesn't really remember anything he read. I will sometimes make him read aloud to me, which he agonizes over :) or have him reread stuff and ask questions. Sometimes he will reread a chapter 2-3 times before he can even answer my questions. When he reads it out loud he can narrate beautifully back to me and answer almost any question I ask, so how can I help him to translate that to his independent reading? I know in January he will suppose to be starting HOD CTC which has independent history reading and that really concerns me as well. I don't want him to just skim and not learn.

I had a similar problem because DD is the type to rush through things just to be "done", regardless of whether she actually understands or remembers what she is supposed to be learning. I made her reread as many times as she needed to answer the questions, but I would remind her that if she paid closer attention the first time (or second, or third), she wouldn't have to read it again. It finally clicked with her, and now she usually only has to read something once to remember it. She still has some "off" days, where she has to read things a couple of times, but it's nothing like how she used to be. It was a time consuming process at first, though.

I was just on the Critical Thinking books website and saw reading comprehension workbooks. I haven't tried them but you can look at several pages on the website or try searching the board for more information about those books.

One thing that really helped us were the Encyclopedia Brown books.  Each short chapter has a case to solve based on what was read and critical thinking about it.  When we first began I had him read it aloud and he would try to guess the solution before I could.  That made him really pay attention as he read.  After the first couple of chapters he began reading them to himself and then trying to figure it out on his own.  He loves them now.  

Thanks, I printed off some reading comprehension pages I found on line so I will try those and then I have some Encyclopedia Brown books and just have him read over the summer :) Hopefully he will learn to slow down and pay attention ;)