Menu

Suggested books smiliar to The Alchemist?

My nine year old recently read and enjoyed The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. His insights, predictions, analysis and related examples outpaced mine on several occasions. He is a natural philosopher and seeks out topics to discuss.

I would greatly appreciate any suggested books or curriculum you have used.

Thank you! These both look perfect.

We were doing the suggested grade four readings and we were both bored to tears (analyze five versions of The Three Little Pigs!). I read The Alchemist on holiday and thought it would be perfect for him. My husband asked me if I really wanted to open Pandora's box when my DS is already so intense. I decided that what we were doing wasn't working anyway. Sure enough, he is entranced. I have never seen him so engaged.

We were also studying light and found a chapter in "Issac Newton and Physics for Kids" that revealed he was a secret Alchemist! I love those moments! :)

The Little Prince - it seems like a young kid's book, but it's really just philosophy. A great jump start for discussion. Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie is in a similar vein.

I find Locke and Plato on the easier to understand end of the great philosophers. Also, Prufrock Press has a line of philosophy books for kids that get good reviews. I don't have any experience with them, but someone here might.

Thanks so much for your input. We finished The Alchemist today and DS9 declared that it was the most useful and interesting thing he had done in school EVER. Glad I trusted my gut.

I came across The Alchemist this week in a listicle of books to be read after you graduate high school. :)

• 2 weeks later...