Menu

Your wedding cake

Night Elf

My wedding cake was butt ugly and tasted like sawdust. The cake decorator turned out to be a scheister. So, I told my mom to pitch the cake top because there was no way we were going to eat that. As i was we never even ate a slice at the reception. One bite was enough and most of the guests left cake on their plates. It was so bad that my mom grabbed a micro phone and apologized to the crowd.

Yup!  Our cake was beautiful and so flavorful...and we were so yakky at our reception that other than the bite we shared, we got NONE.  We wrapped the tarnation out of that cake, froze it, and ate it a year later.  It was so great. And there wasn't a crumb left after the reception, either.  :0)

Sherry wine white cake with butter cream frosting.  FYI.  :0)

Yes, and it was delicious a year later. The icing wasn't so great, but the cake was.  Our cake was alternating tiers of strawberry cake and white cake, because strawberry cake is my favorite.  My mom said it was weird and insisted we at least put some "normal" cake layers in it.  Guess which layers were gone first?  Strawberry. Ha!  We had 5 tiers, the bottom HUGE tier was strawberry, the next white, then strawberry, then white, with the cake topper being strawberry.  James Bond and I only got a small bit of cake at the reception, so my cousin kindly cut off a chunk of cake, wrapped it up and put it in the hamper of food and champagne they sent with us to the hotel.  After a, um, certain amount of time, we tucked in, and demolished pretty much everything.  ;)

My mother saved it for our 25th wedding anniversary!  All of our children were there and they all sampled it.  It was terrible, of course, but all of our children can actually say that they had a bite of our wedding cake.  :)

I didn't want to. I ordered enough cake for everyone, IF we ate the top, too. It was a small wedding. The cake had 2 tiers--the top and another. Very small.

One pushy guest INSISTED that we had to keep the top tier. Over and over insisted. I told her, "I ordered enough to be eaten now. I don't want to keep it." But she was a bully and I was wimpy at age 19. (Drives me crazy. My 41 year old current self would never be pushed around like that!)

I was a terrible housekeeper and we put the cake in the oven of our apartment (so bugs wouldn't get it), headed out to the honeymoon. I forgot about it and a month or so later we had to throw it out. It was ridiculous. Ugh.

Today--I would freeze it and eat it BUT only if I had enough cake for the guests.

I didn't want to save it, but my DH's aunts insisted and wrapped it up for us.  We had a a lot of friends who had gotten married about a year before us and told us that it wasn't worth it.  I honestly can't remember if we tried eating it or it got tossed.  I am thinking it got tossed.

No. We had a three-tier with three different flavors of cake and I told the servers to give it all out that night. It was really good cake and gone within an hour or so. The thing about have three different flavors is that many people (especially the kids) want to try all three! :)

We saved ours and took it with us for our 1st anniversary trip to Colonial Williamsburg.   I remember sitting in our cheap motel eating the cake. We even bought plastic wineglasses and had sparkling grape juice (I wasn't legal drinking age yet, LOL).

It tasted okay... but since my wedding cake came from Walmart (yup! :p) it wasn't like it was gourmet to start with...

Yep, saved the top layer, just barely -- it was a delicious cake!

Unfortunately, we stored it in the freezer in our workshop, and during that year we had the workshop floor painted... with a special solvent-based paint. The solvent odor soaked into everything, including -- as we discovered on our first anniversary -- the wrapped cake in the freezer. :(

(That was not quite as bad as the time the shop & garage lost power, and we didn't notice for a couple of days. We'd been storing our fishing bait in the freezer. :p )

Did you save the top tier or a piece of your wedding cake for your first anniversary? When I got married the first time, my mom said that was a thing, so we did it. That cake was awful a year later! :laugh:

Yes. We wrapped it foil, put it in a Tupperware bowl, and froze it. It was delicious a year later.

Ohhh...touchy point. 

My favorite kind of cake is carrot cake but I recognize that I am in the minority. Our wedding planner suggested that we do the top tier (traditionally the cake you save) in carrot cake and just cut them all at the wedding, not saving anything. Well, lo and behold at the wedding, she decided that I just had to save that cake for our year anniversary. I was so ticked and to this day, that was the one thing about my wedding that I regret. :glare: It was terrible at a year. Bleh.

We saved ours and wrapped it up very well. It was just what you did back in the Stone Age. I don't remember if we waited the entire year...we moved five months after the wedding so we might have eaten it then...but we did eat it and it was good.

Do people still do this? I've been to weddings recently but have never heard it come up in conversation.

We did not save any and we had a ton of cake. I used cake as my table center pieces with some flowers on top. Each was unique and I though very lovely. They were taken away to cut with the flowers left on the tables. We had two whole cakes left and several large chunks. I had different colors/flavors so people had been picking and choosing. My husband and I took a whole cake on our vacation. I didn't want to save it, I wanted to Eat it!

I honestly can't remember, though I'm nearly certain we froze the top. I can't remember what our cake tasted like either. If it was horrible, I would remember though. It must have been fine. I think I must be strange! It feels like 20 lifetimes ago.

edited to add: I asked my husband. He said, "I think so. Didn't your parents freeze it for us? I think they did. We probably ate it. I can't remember." When I asked if the cake at the reception tasted good, he couldn't remember that either. I guess we are both strange.

Ohhh...touchy point.

My favorite kind of cake is carrot cake but I recognize that I am in the minority. Our wedding planner suggested that we do the top tier (traditionally the cake you save) in carrot cake and just cut them all at the wedding, not saving anything. Well, lo and behold at the wedding, she decided that I just had to save that cake for our year anniversary. I was so ticked and to this day, that was the one thing about my wedding that I regret. :glare: It was terrible at a year. Bleh.

Aww, that's too bad. I love carrot cake, too. It's my favorite!

We did not save any and we had a ton of cake. I used cake as my table center pieces with some flowers on top. Each was unique and I though very lovely. They were taken away to cut with the flowers left on the tables. We had two whole cakes left and several large chunks. I had different colors/flavors so people had been picking and choosing. My husband and I took a whole cake on our vacation. I didn't want to save it, I wanted to Eat it!

How fun! That is a great idea.

We froze the top layer and ate it on our one year anniversary. It tasted fine.

We briefly thought about not eating it though. Just days after we got our wedding cake the bakery was shut down by the health department! :blink:

It was a delicious cake and nobody had gotten sick or died from it the first time around, so we went ahead and ate the top part for our anniversary.

Our wedding cake was yummy at the reception, but disgusting a year later. It was wrapped extremely well, too, so we were bummed.

I will suggest to my kids to not bother with that strange tradition and just get something special for the first year anniversary celebration.