Menu

If you don't use plastic for food...

hollyh

In (specifically) what containers do you store your foods?  Particularly if you are a bulk purchaser.  I bought some large glass containers and they were not airtight- so I now have ants in my sugar.  :(  

I am having a hard time finding many options for LARGE glass/stainless steel, airtight containers and wanted some links to what you all might use.  

I use ceramic with a clamp top that has the airtight rings for sugar  and flours. I don't have much counter space so they are stored up high in the cabinet. 

But we have an ant problem that we have been battling forever. Mainly in that they have taken over the yard and landscaping. I feel like I'm living on a huge ant farm sometimes. Wouldn't be surprised if I were. So they get in the house at times. But not as often as they seem content to just drill through my yard and landscaping areas.

I don't find the canning jars to be large enough for a lot of things.

The half-gallon size is really nice because it holds a half gallon but does not take up much "footprint."  Our local hardware store sells them in a package of 6 for $10.  Can't get cheaper than that. I know they make one gallon size too but have never bought them.

For flour, sugar, and whatever (corn meal or whatever I need stored), I have a set of stainless All Clad canisters.  I'd like to get some big jars to hold other dry goods such as cereals, pastas, rice, etc.  I haven't tried yet as most anything glass that is handled by some of the children tends to get broken.

Love my Tupperware. :D

My primary concern with glass would be breakage.

yeah--glass and my lovely tile kitchen floor have shown me many, many times that they are NOT friends.  I guess I could do metal--I haven't really looked to replace the plastic yet.

I do use all glass (Anchor and pyrex) food storage containers in the fridge, so they can go straight into the microwave--

Betsy

I use the large canisters with the ring in the lid for things like flour and sugar.  Although that led led to the unfortunate Frosting day.  Did you know that flour and confectioners sugar look just alike, and that cream cheese frosting maybe with lots of flour does not taste good.  Even the second time around.   

I think glass containers are amazing for leftovers though.  I have these large wide drinking glasses that crate and barrel used to sell, with a plastic lid on them.  Wide enough to eat out of, but narrow and tall enough to have a limited footprint.