Menu

Charlotte Mason Institute Conference - anybody going?

I went last year and it was fun to be there.  I went a day early to do an actual day of CM homeschooling which was the most helpful for me personally.  I am not sure I will go to the conference again.  I didn't learn as much as I wanted to and it had a very Protestant vibe.  I'm Catholic and I am not anti-Protestant, but I wanted to learn more about CM than about the personal faith of the speakers.  I really did enjoy meeting other CM homeschoolers though.  If it was a little less expensive, I might go again just for that!  If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I've never been to that one, but I had the opportunity to go to a CM conference in Peoria, IL a couple of years ago.  It was fairly small and inexpensive.  One of the speakers was an AO Advisory (which I later realized), there was Lori Lawing  (amazing HS momma!), and several other gifted speakers.  A highlight was doing a nature walk, led by a momma with a baby in a sling.  (Perhaps that was my highlight b/c I was preggo...and feeling insecure about HSing with a new baby.)

I highly enjoyed this little conference. Between the sessions, the speakers sat with us and had more open dialogue about the nuts and bolts of a CM education.  I've never been to the one in NC though.  That's a little far for me right now.

Thanks for the helpful responses! Kristinannie, I'm Catholic as well, and wish conferences could stick to CM methods instead of focused on nuances of faith. I thought the prices were reasonable considering how expensive the Ambleside Schools International ones are - and far from me. I think the last one was in Minnesota. The workshops are literally altogether more than $1000!

4blessingmom, the conference in Peoria sounds wonderful. I live in FL, though, so the NC one is closer to me. Oh, to have a solid CM conference in FL!

Thanks for the helpful responses! Kristinannie, I'm Catholic as well, and wish conferences could stick to CM methods instead of focused on nuances of faith. I thought the prices were reasonable considering how expensive the Ambleside Schools International ones are - and far from me. I think the last one was in Minnesota. The workshops are literally altogether more than $1000!

4blessingmom, the conference in Peoria sounds wonderful. I live in FL, though, so the NC one is closer to me. Oh, to have a solid CM conference in FL!

There were some great speakers.  If you are able to go, there were other Catholics there (from the 4 real forums).  Message me if you want to know which speakers to avoid.  The fireside chats were very helpful and just talking to other homeschoolers was so helpful and uplifting to me!