Menu

Uggh--Leg Cramps? Dr. Hive pls

Chris in VA

I agree with the above posters, but wanted to say that leg cramps in particular can be a sign of being hypothyroid for some folks. If you have persistent leg cramps / charley horses - consider getting your thyroid checked.

I had them alot as a child, as did 2dd.  for her, it was calcium.  making sure she got plenty of milk - especially on very active days seemed to prevent them.

I had a few during some of my pregnancies and those seemed to be triggered by stretching the wrong way.   I've read those are magnesium.

dh has had them as an adult - and they could come on with him just getting up from a chair.  he was told calcium.  He now takes a supplement and he hasn't been bothered by them anymore.

also fluids - it can be hard to make sure you drink enough water.  some liquids people drink actually are dehydrating meaning we need even more water to make up for their consumption. e.g.  soda.

Yep, a calcium/mag/potass.  supplement helps a lot. I was waking several times a night with severe cramps. I started taking supplements and they went away. I took them for a month or two and then got lazy and stopped. The cramps came right back. Started taking them again and it's fine.

My secret weapon that is THE BOMB is a 6-8 oz glass of calcium-fortified orange juice. OJ is high in potassium naturally. It also gives you some extra hydration which can also be a factor.

I am not positive whether the calcium matters, but I started getting leg cramps when I was pregnant with my first, and so was drinking calcium fortified OJ already. Anyway, women need calcium, so I've always made it a habit to buy that variety.

Really truly miracle cure for me.

Good luck,

S

I had leg cramps occasionally when I was pregnant.  I never did figure out a way to prevent them, but I did find a way to quickly relieve most of the pain once they hit.  When one came on suddenly my instinct was to stretch my leg and point my toe out; I found that did not help.  I did need to stretch my leg, specifically my heel, out away from my body, but instead of pointing my toes out I need to bring them back toward me as much as possible.  This made a big difference, and the cramps were no longer as much of a hassle.

Wendy