Menu

Graduation Gifts-amount

DawnM

I have been invited to a graduation of a friend's son.  This is not a close friend, just a friend who I see in a HS group.  We don't hang out outside of our group.

What amount would you think would be appropriate to give?

Thanks,

Dawn

From what I've heard, different areas seem to have different standard amounts, but in our area it's between $10 and $20, with $10 probably being the most common (especially if it's someone you don't really know). 

As much as I wish I could give what's appropriate, I just can't. funds are extremely limited. We are only able to give $5 to "general" friends- from co-op, volleyball, musical,etc- people we don;t hang out with outside of the activity. And there are MANY of them- so the number of them requires the token amount.  We do give $20 to close/long-time friend swhom we see regularly outside of shared activities.

I had never heard of a graduation gift, except on here.  So no, I've never given one.  But I have taken my brothers to lunch to celebrate.  Not a fancy lunch, I can't afford that.  I say give what you can if you really want to, but I guess I don't see it as a social faux pas not to. 

I have been invited to a graduation of a friend's son.  This is not a close friend, just a friend who I see in a HS group.  We don't hang out outside of our group.

What amount would you think would be appropriate to give?

Thanks,

Dawn

For me, if I were invited to an acquaintance's child's graduation, I would just send a card.

Close acquaintance, $10-$25, depending on finances at the time.

Family--haven't had that come up yet, but maybe $50.

We only spend $50 on our children's birthdays, $25 on niece/nephews, and usually $10-$15 on birthday parties that my kids go to--so we may have a different budget from what might be the "norm". 

Betsy

I'll vote just to bring down the average! We do $5 or a really good chocolate bar. These are for the kids from our church who graduate. We know the parents but don't really hang with them socially, kids are older than our kids and while we know them, we don't know them well, don't speak to them, etc. We'll do more for family.

Honestly, I would probably do $25-50 for average friend/relative (ex: one of my child's many friends who sent an announcement, or a cousin's child whom I would not recognize on the street, but whom I keep in Xmas card contact with), and $100 for special friend/relative (my best friend's son, my niece). Some of it would depend on the financial situation of their families. I will be more generous with kids who are coming from needier backgrounds. 

My son went to a dance in honor of a couple of girls he knows through his choir. He took a greeting card for each girl with a $15 Barnes & Noble gift card inside. 

For what it's worth, my son will be having his grad party in a couple of months. He's inviting a whole lot of folks because he wants to celebrate with his friends. He's not expecting gifts at all, let alone gifts of any specific amount. I vote you give what feels right to you and not worry about it.

$50.00 for people we don't know very well.

$100.00 for friends' kids unless we're very close to them (and then we give more.)

$500.00 for nieces, nephews, and other close relatives.

We would add more money to the above amounts if we were attending a party at a restaurant or another nice place.

(I'm assuming this is for a high school graduate. We would give more for college or grad school graduation.)

$50.00 for people we don't know very well.

$100.00 for friends' kids unless we're very close to them (and then we give more.)

$500.00 for nieces, nephews, and other close relatives.

We would add more money to the above amounts if we were attending a party at a restaurant or another nice place.

(I'm assuming this is for a high school graduate. We would give more for college or grad school graduation.)

Consider yourself invited to ds's graduation next year.  I'm pretty sure we're cousins, by the way.  :lol:

I usually give $50-$100 for nieces or nephews, 

friend's kids $20-$30

acquaintances- a congratulatory card   

For an acquaintance like this, you could not give a gift.

I've given first cookbooks to kids I know who will be going off on their own.  Either one specifically designed for that, or a Better Homes & Garden or ATK type one.

I would probably give $15-$20, but I love the $20.14 idea above.  You could even put in twenty $1 and 14 cents. :)

For a situation like this it's very acceptable in my area to give a small gift, often a gift card that is a "treat" ($10 movie, fast food, itunes, ice cream). Obviously for someone we were close to we would do a more substantial cash gift if we could afford it.