Menu

Gift for Math Nut?

I (after many years of reading these boards) just looked up AoPS!  Ugh!  Too late for us...I just spent too much time using these boards for language arts mostly and never bothered listening to the math chatter.

I have been told by son's occasional math tutor that he has a different approach to solving problems, and I observe him doing math for fun all the time...I wonder how someone can read an 300 page book about math filled with words!  Math is what he does for fun.

So, maybe it is not quite too late to fuel the love with math gifts!  He has 'Joy of Math' TC DVD's and 11 Rubik's cubes...what else would make good math gifts?  

I have the books, "The Lighter Side of Mathematics" and "101 Careers in Mathematics" in my cart over at MAA, but would like a few hands-on gifts for his 17th birthday.

What would you suggest?

Thank you!

Some of my son's favorite math gifts are:

math t-shirts

math clock

math water bottle for hiking with boy scouts

logic puzzles (like Thinkfun games)

bigger Rubic's cubes - has a whole collection of sizes/varieties

logic puzzle books

something he thinks would be cook is a "pi" pizza cutter

if you google math gifts or math clocks, or math watches, math t-shirts, etc you'll find a lot of ideas

My first thoughts were Rubik's cubes or funny math tee-shirts, but I see that you've all got those covered already!

Thinkgeek is great, btw; it's one of my son's go-to sites for fun gifts.

Some other possibilities: :D

Mathematical origami book & papers: I like this Tomoko Fuse book, but I see it's currently out of print (used copies available, though). There are lots of other possibilities linked on that Amazon page, too.

Zometool & an idea book like this one. The Buckyball kit looks like fun! See Zome's creator George Hart's website for lots of info and inspiration. George Hart is Vi Hart's dad, btw, and a frequent visitor to summer mathcamps. My kids loved when he showed up and filled a room with Zome. Here's a photo from an old camp of a huge Zometool creation.

Math Horizons magazine subscription. I love this & still subscribe, even though the kids are grown and gone now. :p

My first thoughts were Rubik's cubes or funny math tee-shirts, but I see that you've all got those covered already!

Thinkgeek is great, btw; it's one of my son's go-to sites for fun gifts.

Some other possibilities: :D

Mathematical origami book & papers: I like this Tomoko Fuse book, but I see it's currently out of print (used copies available, though). There are lots of other possibilities linked on that Amazon page, too.

Zometool & an idea book like this one. The Buckyball kit looks like fun! See Zome's creator George Hart's website for lots of info and inspiration. George Hart is Vi Hart's dad, btw, and a frequent visitor to summer mathcamps. My kids loved when he showed up and filled a room with Zome. Here's a photo from an old camp of a huge Zometool creation.

Math Horizons magazine subscription. I love this & still subscribe, even though the kids are grown and gone now. :p

Great ideas, he will be thrilled and even more busy this summer than he thought!

Well, each bar represents a place value, so three bars will add to 999. I was thinking of a nice wooden or brass one.

Thank you!  I was specifically questioning 12, 13 or 17 row versions.  With all the books, and zometools, and magazine subscription I am now getting him (oh, plus a t-shirt=), my budget for the abacus has gone way down!

Anything by Art Benjamin, the Mathemagician

He really loves A.B!  He got to hear him speak recently...and got to take part in a dinner with him!  After that, I realized how much time he was spending watching the Teaching Company math DVD's and how much time was being spent solving math when he was (finally) done with school each day!

Along with all the great gift ideas, I'm also buying him the '101Careers in Mathematics' book from MAA...math seems a lot more versatile (as a major in and of itself) than I realized.

Oh my gosh, I've just been to the Zometool website for the first time.  Christmas and birthdays are now covered for years to come.  Thanks!

Haha, you're welcome! 

More fun stuff! :drool5:

And I agree about Art Benjamin. I recently purchased a couple of his Great Courses (Secrets of Mental Math and Math of Games & Puzzles) the last time they went on sale for myself. :001_smile:

For recreational math type of books try anything by Martin Gardner - he wrote the math recreation column for Scientific American for many years and his books are great. Also, Raymond Smullyan and Ian Stewart. You probably can find quite a few good titles really inexpensively used on Amazon.