Menu

Home School in the Woods vs. History Pockets

Guest Peahen

Guest Peahen

We recently finished our second year of SOTW (which I think is fabulous) but instead of moving on to SOTW 3 next year, we will focus on early American history. I have a rising third grader, kindergartner, and preschooler. The American history curriculum at Guest Hollow is right up my alley. The book list is really strong. My only concern is having enough hands-on projects. My children are all about the projects. I realize that GH schedules Evan-Moor History Pockets, and I'm wondering if the arts and crafts in them are mainly paper crafts/lap books or will they provide authentic recipes and instructions for making costumes and models of period homes? If not, would substituting Home School in the Woods be better for projects? I know HSITW is supposed to be a complete history unit study, so are the projects good enough to justify buying the curriculum if I only plan on using it for project ideas and instructions? Thanks in advance!

I have the history pockets for Ancient Egypt, and it's mostly the stuff you'd use for lapbooks. It does have one page talking about what they wore, but it doesn't go into detail of how to make costumes. After it talks about what they wore, the book has you create dolls using cutouts from the book. There's no recipes or any other activities.

But I can only speak on this one specifically, so hopefully that helps some!

You'll need to take into account skill level. HSITW struck me as requiring a higher skill level than the lower-level History Pockets. We actually like History Pockets here, but my DD just turned seven. They are appropriate for her skill set. While I love the looks of HSITW, we'll be waiting until next time for those.