Menu

How much time does CLE math for 2nd grade take?

tld

Shortening math just to fit a certain time-frame is not a good idea, and neither is crossing out problems. Doing ALL the problems help to cement LONG-TERM the concepts. Math is a core skill. It NEEDS to take as long as it takes. Like Language arts {phonics, grammar, writing, spelling, etc.} This is an area you WANT to spend the time. Cut out something EXTRA and give the basics your focus while they are young.

{FTR, I have used CLE 100-600 now. It is solid and worth the time.}

Shortening math just to fit a certain time-frame is not a good idea, and neither is crossing out problems. Doing ALL the problems help to cement LONG-TERM the concepts. Math is a core skill. It NEEDS to take as long as it takes. Like Language arts {phonics, grammar, writing, spelling, etc.} This is an area you WANT to spend the time. Cut out something EXTRA and give the basics your focus while they are young.

I get what you're saying.  But I do think the CM philosophy of training children to give 100% attention to the task at hand is of great value.  I don't want to require so much time at math that he needs to give his mind daydreaming breaks and begin to form a habit that will carry over into other classes and areas of life.  I don't think it's practical for a 7-year-old to give 100% attention for 45 minutes.  Is it?  I can't see DS being able to do that at this point, though over the next few years we'll work up to that.  Whatever time I give for him to work on math, I want 100% attention and focus.  Is that a crazy way to go about doing math class?  (Serious question.  I'm not being snarky about this.)

I get what you're saying.  But I do think the CM philosophy of training children to give 100% attention to the task at hand is of great value.  I don't want to require so much time at math that he needs to give his mind daydreaming breaks and begin to form a habit that will carry over into other classes and areas of life.  I don't think it's practical for a 7-year-old to give 100% attention for 45 minutes.  Is it?  I can't see DS being able to do that at this point, though over the next few years we'll work up to that.  Whatever time I give for him to work on math, I want 100% attention and focus.  Is that a crazy way to go about doing math class?  (Serious question.  I'm not being snarky about this.)

I agree with you. I don't think a 2nd grader needs to spend 45 minutes on math. I'd rather have 30 minutes of good focused math than 45 minutes of daydreaming and no learning.

I also am fine with skipping problems if the child doesn't need all the problems. There is value in repetition, but some kids don't need as much repetition as others. And at very young ages, too much repetition can be overwhelming. My oldest doesn't mind doing a CLE 500 lesson in 10-15 minutes (it's 100% review and very easy for him), but a couple years ago? He would have had a hard time getting through a whole lesson of 100% review problems. His ability to handle more repetition has come with maturity.

I would not expect my 7 year old to spend 45 minutes on math per day. I think that is a long time to concentrate on math at this age. We rarely spend more than 20 minutes a day on math, but we use a different program. Even in CLE LA, if the lessons are taking too long, we just stop and pick up where we left off the next day. It works for us. 

I agree with this.  Are there times when I cross out parts of the review?  Yes--every once in a while when we are pinched for time.  But not on a regular basis.  The every-day-ness of it can be monotonous, but it can also bear great fruit, so I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.  This is just my 2 cents for your consideration....each student is different and I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone who does regularly skip review.  We homeschoolers have gone off the beaten path for a reason--we like to do things our own way, right?   ;)

But anyway--I don't think my either of mine have ever taken 45 minutes to complete a CLE lesson. Perhaps math time as a whole has--on days where a new concept merits special attention and I make it more interactive with manipulatives or the white board ---but never the independent written part. (unless there is an emotional meltdown in process that day, which would be another post. ;) )

On that count, children will vary, though....so If it does take him longer to finish than you'd like, you could consider splitting up the "new" concept instruction/practice and the "We Remember" portion of the lesson.  So new stuff first (when he's fresh), and then the review part at another time during the day.  You do not mention why you are switching to CLE or what you are switching from, but I have found it to be solid, reliable, and very open and go, which counts for a lot in my world.  Math gets done here, even when some other things don't!   ;)

Edited to add:  I just realized the 45 minutes thing came from another poster, and that the OP's post mentioned wanting to spend 25 minutes.  (Sorry, after I read through more than a few posts, it all starts to blend together in my mind!)

In any case, even the poster that said 45 minutes wasn't saying that her child actually needed that much working time...it included some daydreaming time.  And.... she wasn't asking for advice so I won't presume she needs any!  So I guess my main point is that although I don't actually pay much attention to exactly how much time we spend, I know it doesn't take us very long.  If it did, I think breaking up the assignment into new and review would be my first thought on how to handle it, because I believe that using CLE in its entirety as written will yield very good results....

I agree with this.  Are there times when I cross out parts of the review?  Yes--every once in a while when we are pinched for time.  But not on a regular basis.  The every-day-ness of it can be monotonous, but it can also bear great fruit, so I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.  This is just my 2 cents for your consideration....each student is different and I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone who does regularly skip review.  We homeschoolers have gone off the beaten path for a reason--we like to do things our own way, right?   ;)

But anyway--I don't think my either of mine have ever taken 45 minutes to complete a CLE lesson. Perhaps math time as a whole has--on days where a new concept merits special attention and I make it more interactive with manipulatives or the white board ---but never the independent written part. (unless there is an emotional meltdown in process that day, which would be another post. ;) )

On that count, children will vary, though....so If it does take him longer to finish than you'd like, you could consider splitting up the "new" concept instruction/practice and the "We Remember" portion of the lesson.  So new stuff first (when he's fresh), and then the review part at another time during the day.  You do not mention why you are switching to CLE or what you are switching from, but I have found it to be solid, reliable, and very open and go, which counts for a lot in my world.  Math gets done here, even when some other things don't!   ;)

Edited to add:  I just realized the 45 minutes thing came from another poster, and that the OP's post mentioned wanting to spend 25 minutes.  (Sorry, after I read through more than a few posts, it all starts to blend together in my mind!)

In any case, even the poster that said 45 minutes wasn't saying that her child actually needed that much working time...it included some daydreaming time.  And.... she wasn't asking for advice so I won't presume she needs any!  So I guess my main point is that although I don't actually pay much attention to exactly how much time we spend, I know it doesn't take us very long.  If it did, I think breaking up the assignment into new and review would be my first thought on how to handle it, because I believe that using CLE in its entirety as written will yield very good results....