Menu

At what age do chickens start to crow if they are roosters? Or when might they show comb development that would indicate being a rooster?

3 of our chickens are not laying, but also not crowing and we are not sure what sex they are, or when we might know for sure. 

At what age do chickens start to crow if they are roosters? Or when might they show comb development that would indicate being a rooster?

3 of our chickens are not laying, but also not crowing and we are not sure what sex they are, or when we might know for sure. 

Our bantam was eight weeks.  I think his crowing encouraged our dominique to start earlier (12 weeks) than he would have on his own.  My daughter had a dominique rooster the same age which didn't crow until a month(?) later.

What type of chickens do you have?  Our girls (buff orpington, Rhode Island Red, and Buttercup) have been laying for at least a month.  Again, my daughter's chicken's aren't laying at all.  She bought them all about the same time so we are trying to figure out what the difference is. 

Our bantam was eight weeks.  I think his crowing encouraged our dominique to start earlier (12 weeks) than he would have on his own.  My daughter had a dominique rooster the same age which didn't crow until a month(?) later.

What type of chickens do you have?  Our girls (buff orpington, Rhode Island Red, and Buttercup) have been laying for at least a month.  Again, my daughter's chicken's aren't laying at all.  She bought them all about the same time so we are trying to figure out what the difference is. 

2 Rhode Island Reds started laying a few weeks ago, and have been very regular good layers ever since. 1 Americauna started soon after that, but another one is one of the ones that is not laying yet, possibly a rooster, though it looks the same as the one that is laying in most respects. 1 California Gray is laying. 1 Gold Sexlink is not, but it is the youngest, and is presumed female b/c of the sexlink. 1 chicken sold as a Blue Wyandotte is not laying...it is also clearly not a Blue Wyandotte, but we don't know for sure what it is, maybe a Buff Wyandotte, or maybe something else entirely--when it was a chick this chicken appeared to be trying to crow though no sound would come out, but now it has stopped doing that.

All of our chickens were hatched near the end of April.

2 Rhode Island Reds started laying a few weeks ago, and have been very regular good layers ever since. 1 Americauna started soon after that, but another one is one of the ones that is not laying yet, possibly a rooster, though it looks the same as the one that is laying in most respects. 1 California Gray is laying. 1 Gold Sexlink is not, but it is the youngest, and is presumed female b/c of the sexlink. 1 chicken sold as a Blue Wyandotte is not laying...it is also clearly not a Blue Wyandotte, but we don't know for sure what it is, maybe a Buff Wyandotte, or maybe something else entirely--when it was a chick this chicken appeared to be trying to crow though no sound would come out, but now it has stopped doing that.

All of our chickens were hatched near the end of April.

Pen, let us know what happens.  :)