Menu

What to buy for Teaching Textbooks?

We bought the whole kit for Algebra 1 and Geometry.  I hardly used the book for Algebra 1.  BUT, when our computer crashed, we did spend a week using the text. For Geometry, we have used the book quite a bit for the first 2 chapters because dd wants to do the logic sections from the book.  It has actually been quite fun doing it that way.  But, we will jump onto the computer soon.  Soooooo.........IMHO, it is a personal choice. 

We bought the whole kit and I am VERY glad we did.  My one son does fine with it on the computer and the other one just doesn't.  I think it might be the whole second chance thing or something. (Even though I still give him a second chance). He is just lazier about his work on the computer.  So he does most of his lessons out of the book.  Then he brings me the answers and I check it with the answer book.  I like doing it this way because I can see what he is doing wrong.  (Simple arithmetic error versus concept confusion).  Then he takes it off and tries to fix them and then enters answers into the computer.  If he still has any wrong he is required to view the solution.  My other kiddo does fine with the computer and rarely needs second chances and has NEVER worked in the book.  Though is we traveled or had computer problems it would be very helpful to have the book with us.  So it does kind of depend on the kid and how they learn best but I never would have known prior to buying them an doing it with my kids. m

We were debating about using just the book or the book and CD. I knew that if I bought them separately it could cost me an extra $10 (at the time), but if ds didn't need/wasn't going to use the CD I'd save even more so I risked it,  The book is very thorough so he didn't need the CD and I ended up saving so you might want to try that route.