Menu

Non-Auditory learners and WWE/WWS and CAP W&R - when can they be independently reading?

dauphin

I don't think either DD or I are auditory learners. We haven't done much narrations after reading aloud and that's clearly the primary avenue of delivery in WWE and W&R Fable. At what point would you start just handing them the reading material and asking them to narrate back, even if that's not how the material is designed?

For what it's worth, DD will be in 6th grade and is an advanced reader. I have had her read several pages of a story (e.g., attempting to be Charlotte Mason-ish) and her narrations are pretty lengthy and detailed and cover the main points, although I think she could use practice in actual summarizing skills, and we haven't really worked on outlining outside of the IEW key word outlines we did through CC's Essentials program. 

I want to be linear and don't like missing things (and we're relatively new at homeschooling), so I want to back up as much as necessary to lay a good foundation, so I'm considering starting with Fable (or early WWE and just compressing/moving faster). But then you run into this problem of the program intending for the material to be delivered to them orally....and frankly I think -I'd- struggle with that (vs. reading it to myself)...

Updated - I finally got to the end-of-year samples for WWE3 and it looks like they are independently reading by the end. But if she can read well, and we are backing up to cover earlier skills, can I just have her read it herself??? Or read it out loud?

I have my daughter look over my shoulder while I read it aloud. She follows along, but hears the right intonation and pronunciation (which she wouldn't necessarily if she read it to herself). 

In WWE3, they actually should be reading it to themselves from the beginning.