Menu

Lit course based on Harry Potter books

I like the book Mapping the World of the Sorcerer's Apprentice by Mercedes Lackey (experienced science fiction writer). It has a number of essays about different aspects of HP. I think some of them are wonderful literary criticism essays.

My own inclination would me to do not a year long analysis of HP but use it as a spur to reading earlier works that might be considered inspirations. You could use HP as the spoon full of sugar for reading other books.

My own inclination would me to do not a year long analysis of HP but use it as a spur to reading earlier works that might be considered inspirations. You could use HP as the spoon full of sugar for reading other books.

I asked my Potter-loving dd and she recommended the book "Repotting Harry Potter" as her favorite of the after-market fare.

We also own Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books Behind the Hogwarts Adventures, which steps through Four Layers of Meaning (John Granger fans will recognize this from his website  )and draws parallels between great literary works and HP.

And as an aside she thinks this is the greatest book ever made, excepting the entire HP Series, of course. If you have a Potter fan, it may be worth checking your library for it. Many happy hours were spent on this one here at our house.

Not a resource but a study suggestion, in one of my graduate linguistics classes, I did a paper on The Language of J, K. Rowling.  It focused on her made up words and how she used Latin and Greek roots to create names for many, many things in her books.  Really fascinating stuff.

Not a resource but a study suggestion, in one of my graduate linguistics classes, I did a paper on The Language of J, K. Rowling.  It focused on her made up words and how she used Latin and Greek roots to create names for many, many things in her books.  Really fascinating stuff.

Would you be willing to share some or all of your paper? I am planning a Greek and Latin roots summer course for dd and this would be the perfect way to introduce the subject. It would also be a great motivator for her. Thanks!

Would you be willing to share some or all of your paper? I am planning a Greek and Latin roots summer course for dd and this would be the perfect way to introduce the subject. It would also be a great motivator for her. Thanks!

Sure.  If you'll PM me with your email addy, I can send you the paper and the PowerPoint presentation.

I'm having some trouble getting these files to email.  The PowerPoint in particular is too large.  So, I've put them up on Google Docs instead.  Hopefully this will work better.

The Inventive Language of J. K. Rowling- paper

PowerPoint presentation (wmv format)

Let me know if these don't work (or if they do, for that matter).  I hope y'all enjoy them!

I'm having some trouble getting these files to email.  The PowerPoint in particular is too large.  So, I've put them up on Google Docs instead.  Hopefully this will work better.

Let me know if these don't work (or if they do, for that matter).  I hope y'all enjoy them!

Thank you for sharing your hard work. We have often talked about the roots in the names in Harry Potter, but there were several that we missed.

So cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing your work!

• 3 weeks later...

For any kid who is a fan of both Harry Potter and other fantasy series - Tolkien, Narnia, L'engle, etc. I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Imagination-Between-Worlds/dp/0982238517/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402250834&sr=8-2&keywords=harry+potter+and+the+imagination

We're including it in our Fantasy lit studies and it ties together the themes of various fantasy series so well - lots of Tolkien's "On Fairy Tales" and really great character discussions, as well as discussions of some of the postmodernist/social justice themes in the series.