Menu

Cheapest way to control fleas and ticks on outdoor cats

mom31257

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap flea/tick control on outdoor cats? We have 3 cats because we took in a mother cat and couldn't find homes for all of the kittens. We don't really take them to the vet because of the cost, but they have had rabies shots and been spayed/neutered at clinics.

I'm not sure about fleas... but cats are usually very good about keeping themselves clean. and if your cats are friendly with each other, they might do social grooming to get the ticks in hard to reach places. we have never had a problem with ticks on the cats.

I have no idea about fleas

I'm not sure about fleas... but cats are usually very good about keeping themselves clean. and if your cats are friendly with each other, they might do social grooming to get the ticks in hard to reach places. we have never had a problem with ticks on the cats. 

Our cats get lots of ticks, even with grooming.  We talked to the vet about what to use because one of our cats scratched herself raw trying to get rid of the Frontline.  Her only alternative (to Frontline and Revolution - both expensive) was flea and tick collars.

Flea combing. I will never go back to chemicals, which are costly and frankly did not work, particularly for ticks. Once kitty is accustomed to combing, they are fairly cooperative and it is very effective, particularly if you take measures to eliminate fleas, eggs and larvae already in your house.

I have 5 cats and live in Florida (yikes fleas).  I buy Advantage for large dogs and use a vial and dosage syringe to divide it between the five of them. Do not use Advantix for dogs, it has an ingredient that is harmful to cats. You can find the dosage chart for dog flea meds converted to cats by cat weight online.  It is MUCH cheaper that way. 

It works well for all but one cat .  One cat just insists on getting fleas matter what I do. Like that kid that always gets eaten up by mosquitos.  :glare:

I usually hit her with extra drops on a more frequent basis.

Warning: if you cats have fleas and consumes the fleas by chewing and licking at them the cat can get tapeworm.  You can get cheap tapeworm pills for cats at Feed Stores like Tractor Supply.  Yes, special girl gets tapeworms too. sigh

The fleas in my part of Florida are resistant to Frontline, it is a waste of money here. 

Another Floridian here and fleas are a constant battle. We get fleas even though we treat the yard, the house and the animals. Yuck! Out of desperation I started combing for fleas every night and the turn around has been fabulous. Honestly, I hate doing it but if I skip even one night the pets will start scratching and chewing themselves before the next night. This way I can catch the one or two fleas that ride in from the outdoors right away.

I wish there was a better answer but fleas are a royal pain in the backside.

Our cats are only outdoor and don't come inside. I am just worried about them. Should I treat them any differently if they are strictly outside?  

The Advantage drops are good for outside and inside.  You may have to treat more often if they live outside. 

You might also get some type of spray to treat the area where they sleep.  I don't use sprays so I am not familiar with what is out there. 

Quick warning:  do not use the Hartz stuff it can be harmful to cats

my cats used to come into the house with from 5 to 8 ticks on each of them but no fleas.  I started using Vetri Repel Flea and Tick Wipes on them and it was amazing.  Maybe one out of my 8 cats would ever once in a while come in with 1 tick.  I use a wipe on each cat, sometimes even 1 wipe on 2 cats and I only do this every 2 or 3 days unless it rains.  I get mine from my vet for around 12 or 13 dollars for 45 wipes.  It is all natural, mostly lemongrass oil.  I talked to another cat owner whose cats would get fleas and she said no more fleas after wiping them with the wipes, she said that she even uses the wipes herself when she is in a fleas area and they work on her also.

Yes, you can buy the Advantage for large dogs on Amazon and then divide it up for the cats. MUCH cheaper this way. Here is something I copied/pasted that has all the info:

The drug in Advantage II for Dogs and Advantage II for Cats is exactly the same drugs (Imidacloprid and Pyriproxyfen) at the exact same concentrations.
If you buy this "Large Dog" package, you get four 4ml tubes. If you then empty those into a vial or vials, you can use a syringe (without needle) to apply the right dosage to your dogs AND cats. In fact, if your cats are under 10 pounds, you can get 10 cat doses out of each of these vials. That's a real bargain!

I am a former Vet Tech and can assure you I have been doing this for years (with Advantage first, and now Advantage II) with ZERO problems.

Use the following chart and you will be fine.
Cats up to 9 pounds - 0.4ml
Cats 10+ pounds - 0.8ml
Dogs 11-20 pounds - 1.0ml
Dogs 21-55 pounds - 2.5ml
Dogs 55+ pounds - 4.0ml

HTH!

my cats used to come into the house with from 5 to 8 ticks on each of them but no fleas.  I started using Vetri Repel Flea and Tick Wipes on them and it was amazing.  Maybe one out of my 8 cats would ever once in a while come in with 1 tick.  I use a wipe on each cat, sometimes even 1 wipe on 2 cats and I only do this every 2 or 3 days unless it rains.  I get mine from my vet for around 12 or 13 dollars for 45 wipes.  It is all natural, mostly lemongrass oil.  I talked to another cat owner whose cats would get fleas and she said no more fleas after wiping them with the wipes, she said that she even uses the wipes herself when she is in a fleas area and they work on her also.

Is this the product?

I have 5 cats and live in Florida (yikes fleas).  I buy Advantage for large dogs and use a vial and dosage syringe to divide it between the five of them. Do not use Advantix for dogs, it has an ingredient that is harmful to cats. You can find the dosage chart for dog flea meds converted to cats by cat weight online.  It is MUCH cheaper that way. 

It works well for all but one cat .  One cat just insists on getting fleas matter what I do. Like that kid that always gets eaten up by mosquitos.  :glare:

I usually hit her with extra drops on a more frequent basis.

Warning: if you cats have fleas and consumes the fleas by chewing and licking at them the cat can get tapeworm.  You can get cheap tapeworm pills for cats at Feed Stores like Tractor Supply.  Yes, special girl gets tapeworms too. sigh

The fleas in my part of Florida are resistant to Frontline, it is a waste of money here. 

One of the cats does seem like she has lost some weight recently. Warm weather is in full swing, and I saw a couple on her. I am wondering now if she might have a tapeworm. 

One of the cats does seem like she has lost some weight recently. Warm weather is in full swing, and I saw a couple on her. I am wondering now if she might have a tapeworm. 

She might, some cats seem to get infected easier than others. The pills are not expensive and you do not have to go the the vet. 

After years of being around stables we learned that there are some animals you just have to hit with a wormer on a regular schedule.  

Get two pills and do the 'give a pill wait x weeks give second pill' routine.

I have had many cats in my life but only this one have ever had this problem twice. huh?  It's a good thing she is a sweetheart.  :001_smile:

yes, Amy, that is the product that you linked on amazon.  It works great. I just grab each cat and do a quick swipe on them, concentrating on their neck, top of head and base of tail and then quickly all over and a quick swipe on their belly and legs.  I do it quick since none of my cats are crazy about it.  They don't fight me, they just prefer that I get it over with quickly lol.