Menu

Books at 3rd/4th grade level for fifth grader

I'm looking towards summer and am pulling together books for my fifth grade son to read. He struggles with reading but wants to read and has agreed to read at least one book a week at his reading level to work on fluency.

If you had to choose 10 books for a fifth grade boy to read that was in the 3/4 level, what would you choose? He prefers funny (bad kitty) or adventure type books (like 39 clues). He is also interested in earth science, space, and ancient history. He does not do well with graphic novels.

Thanks

My son is a struggling reader as well. We had good luck with Magic Tree House - he read the whole series. The early series is more 2-3rd grade, but as the series continues, it gets tougher. He just started the Boxcar Children and is liking that so far.

I personally think "building fluency" is not the time for high literature, so I wouldn't make a preset list of great books.  I would just keep him reading those 39 Clues type things and save the meaty stuff for the school year.

In that vein...  light, fluency building, summer reading series...

Deltora Quest

Wimpy Kid

Origami Yoda

Big Nate (there are comics and novels that are more like the Wimpy Kid style books)

Artsy Fartsy series

Guardians of Ga'Hoole

Spiderwick

Wayside School series

Series of Unfortunate Events

If it has to be more literary, then I'd maybe do some Roald Dahl, maybe Mouse and the Motorcycle, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Phantom Tollbooth...

I was considering the Magic Treehouse books. I've read all of them to him but that was years ago. He might enjoy or at least tolerate reading them to himself again. Boxcar is a good idea. I've been considering picking up a set anyway. I know I have Wayside somewhere so that might work, too.

Big Nate and Wimpy Kid just did not work for him. He'll flip through and read here and there but he struggled with them. :(

I haven't heard of some of these others. I will have to look them up.

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm looking towards summer and am pulling together books for my fifth grade son to read. He struggles with reading but wants to read and has agreed to read at least one book a week at his reading level to work on fluency.

If you had to choose 10 books for a fifth grade boy to read that was in the 3/4 level, what would you choose? He prefers funny (bad kitty) or adventure type books (like 39 clues). He is also interested in earth science, space, and ancient history. He does not do well with graphic novels.

Thanks

Not at all literary, but my finishing-4th grader who isn't a big reader likes choose-your-own adventure books.  Also Magic Treehouse.  I bought some of these "I Survived!" books and am hoping he'll read them this summer:

http://www.scholastic.com/isurvived/

Geronimo Stilton

And he really likes nonfiction animal books--I've let it go somewhat and realized that if he's reading adult-level field guides & reference books about reptiles and mammals, that DOES count as reading--we've started hitting thrift shops a lot and he has a huge library of nature books.  Maybe you can do a similar thing with his science interests--  although I still try to have him reading a fiction book regularly.  He rarely picks them up for fun reading though--

Betsy

Yay! He read a Magic Treehouse book just now! (Interestingly enough, while listening to me read The Hobbit!?). And just ran off to find another. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, he loves the I Survived! Books and has read all of those (multiple times). I also have a few Geronimo Stilton books I'll throw at him. Thanks for the idea!

He loves non-fiction but he really needs practice with reading fiction for comprehension. He reads non-fiction on his own. That's not work for him. Haha.

Not sure what level these would be at, but what about books by Bill Wallace?  They were some of my favorites.

A Dog Called Kitty

Trapped in Death Cave

Ferrets in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge

Snot Stew

Some other ideas:
Encyclopedia Brown

How to Eat Fried Worms

Bunnicula and The Celery Stalks at Midnight

The Indian in the Cupboard

Lana

My son is in the exact same boat.

The books I found that were on his reading level but still held high interest 

Encyclopedia Brown

The Droon series

Franny K Stein Series

I survived books

Edited to add a huge thumbs up to The Wayside school series of 3 books.