Menu

K12 Human Odyssey

HSmomof2

They have been useful for us. As with everything, it depends on your goals. :)

We use them partially to work on answering short essay questions quickly, legibly, and coherently. 

(Yes, we could do that without the guides, but it makes life simpler for us. I have neither the need nor the desire to spend time reinventing the wheel.)

We like them.  We definitely don't do everything in the guides, but I like what is there and having the general schedule of individual lessons to work from.  If you are going to just do WTM style, you won't need them.  They are not everyone's cup of tea, however.  I recall reading in the past a number of posters here do not care for them.

We use Human Odyssey but not the teacher guide etc. My dd reads the chapter, we discuss, she does one of the maps in the chapter using a map I print off, outlines a section, and fills in her time line. It's worked really well for us, and history has become one of her favorite subjects. We've had lots of great discussions.

Note that there is no workbook set for book 3 of K12's Human Odyssey. All of the material is online. We didn't find this to be a problem. We went to WTM's suggestions.... Ds needed a leg up on writing, though, and I found the workbooks to be very helpful in getting there!

:iagree:  We are using the second workbook now, and I can see how there is a gentle slope with the writing. I don't think we'll miss the workbook with the 3rd book, but I've been glad to have them with the first two!

Good point. We don't do everything either. Also, it's worth mentioning that some activities in the guide can't be done without access to the K-12 website. 

I have the Intermediate World History A student pages because it was at our charter's lending library. However, I didn't use very much of it because I found that MOST of it can't be done without access to the K12 course. I wound up mostly using these two workbooks in lieu of the K12 student pages:

Critical Thinking Press World History Detective Book 1: http://www.criticalthinking.com/world-history-detective-book-1.html

Building Skills by Exploring Maps: Ancient Civilizations http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Teaching-CTP2511-Ancient-Civilizations/dp/B001C5U7P0