Menu

Need 2nd/3rd math recommendations

We are closing in on halfway through the first grade mcruffy math curriculum for DD6 (she is flying threw it at 2-3 lessons per day) and I am thinking that I will have her finish it by the end of summer so that starting the next school year we will start a new math curriculum. 

Ok, I LOVE love love McRuffy - the teaching style, the color, the workbook, the manipulatives. My daughter love it too - she went from hating math and crying about it to eagerly doing it and asking for the science curriculum too (should never have let her look at that catalog.)

But it's not challenging her much. She's learning but it's easy and I am finding that I am having to skip a lot to keep up with her.

I tried MEP and hated it, I can't stand the teaching style, tried MM and my daughter hated it (too busy, not colorful, math caused many tears when we were trying MM even with me assigning only half the problems).

So I had her take the math placement test on MobyMax (is that at all accurate?) and it placed her at mid second grade level. 

So I suppose that I could keep going with McRuffy in an accelerated manner until we are finished with it, or should I look for something more challenging for the fall? 

I don't know much about McRuffy or MobyMax, but you might look at Horizons. It's colorful, doesn't need printed, and there's only a handful of problems for several different concepts within a lesson. It includes several concepts many providers leave out of the early years, and the author clearly enjoys math. The wide variety of topics keeps my "advanced" DC interested and engaged. :).

Just keep going with McRuffy. Do not be fooled into thinking something has to be hard for the child to be learning. You will hit a plce where she doesn't automatically know everything. If she tested 2nd grade and the only thing you have been using is McRuffy, that is proof enough she is learning. I would also suggest not skipping things even if it is easy for her. That makes it fun. Stay the course. I do believe you will be glad you did.

Just keep going with McRuffy. Do not be fooled into thinking something has to be hard for the child to be learning. You will hit a plce where she doesn't automatically know everything. If she tested 2nd grade and the only thing you have been using is McRuffy, that is proof enough she is learning. I would also suggest not skipping things even if it is easy for her. That makes it fun. Stay the course. I do believe you will be glad you did.

I don't know anything about McRuffy but I completely agree with this anyway!!! LOL.

My kids never seemed challenged at that age. Math just came naturally to them. We could pull off doing two math curricula. But a few years down the road things changed as they inevitably will with most kids. I think if you hit that point you will be thankful for the easy, enjoyable math years that prove to be giving a very solid foundation.

If you both love McRuffy and she's learning with it, I'd stick to it. You can always do more than one grade's worth of curriculum in a year, if necessary. It's worth a LOT to me to have enjoyment (and retention) of the subject, instead of tears or arguing every day. 

Ok thanks :) 

The main "skipping" I've done is less repetition than called for if she has the concept, so if she got it after one or two tries and asked what was next, I moved on. That said, there have been times when she finished a simple activity and said, "I want to do that again!" so we repeated until she was ready to move on.

does it matter if we keep doubling lessons up and finish the curriculum "early"? (If we do two years next year, she'll be ending first grade at the end of third grade math and ending second grade at the end of 5th grade math...) Although I guess it is too premature to worry about that as there is always the possibility that she'll hit a wall and we will have to slow down. 

It sounds like you're doing what you need to. Keep up the good work!

It doesn't matter if you finish "early." She'll be going at the pace she needs to be (at least a little) challenged without being bogged down by needless repetition. It might be a little scary at first, but she'll be fine, as long as your goal remains to go at your child's pace and not try to push her into algebra at age 9 so you can brag to the neighbors or something.

...*snip*...

So I had her take the math placement test on MobyMax (is that at all accurate?) and it placed her at mid second grade level. 

So I suppose that I could keep going with McRuffy in an accelerated manner until we are finished with it, or should I look for something more challenging for the fall? 

Do not fix something that isn't broken. It is okay to use something your child is happily learning with, even if she is learning quickly. Stay with what you are using.

Steady progress forward + Long term retention = enough for a little child.

does it matter if we keep doubling lessons up and finish the curriculum "early"? (If we do two years next year, she'll be ending first grade at the end of third grade math and ending second grade at the end of 5th grade math...) Although I guess it is too premature to worry about that as there is always the possibility that she'll hit a wall and we will have to slow down. 

Honestly, it's more than a possibility. It's the general rule. Many people have been in this situation of worrying about ending up too ahead, but the reality is that very, very few of us end up in that position. I was absolutely convinced that two of my kids were math geniuses in k and first grade. I thought one was gifted in math up until fifth. 

In the early years, math is straightforward. As the years progress, it becomes more complex. Multi-step problems, more things to keep track of, etc. Most kids cannot keep up the pace when they hit that point. Depending on the curriculum, the wall is hit by third or fourth grade at the latest. After that they will progress in a normal fashion.

Of course, you could have a math genius on your hands, in which case it will definitely not hurt for her to keep making progress in a way that's enjoyable to her. If you can keep her enjoyment of math, it's more likely that she will excel in the future.