Menu

How long do you wait before repurposing a college kid's bedroom?

Seasider

We got a new queen bed set for Ds.1's room once he left for college. After sleeping on the twin bed in his college dorm, he loved his queen bed. When he was homeschooled he never spent much time in his bedroom. Now he loves his new bed. :-) I guess at college he got used to spending more time in his room. He is also very thankful that he was homeschooled. 

No memorial rooms in my family. I think because we kept using them and rearranging them, maybe? There were many weird spots, like when my grandmother died when I was 14 and I took her bedroom furniture and when we put a double bed in after I was married and then added a crib when oldest was born, but the weirdness quickly wore off.

Nan

Now all I can think of is the Saturday Night Live skit about childhood bedrooms. Warning: NSFW, NSFK, inappropriate in the extreme, but will cure you of any desire to go full Miss Havisham on childhood bedrooms  :lol:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/do-it-on-my-twin-bed/n44605

There is literally no one I can share that with without risking offense. :crying:

Oldest DS graduated from UD last Saturday, he has spent this week sorting his stuff into 'trash', 'donation' and 'move to Utah' piles. Thank goodness the donation truck was here this morning!  His college was just 20 minutes from our home and our other son already had his own bedroom so we left DS 1's bedroom untouched for 4 yrs. Until now. I have paint and drapes already picked out. I even have new furniture to move into there too.  DS #2 has requested that I wait until he is off to college this fall before I start to repaint DS #1's room.  DS #2 asked me to repaint his room in his school colors, they're my school colors too, and he knows I've always wanted to do a bedroom in my school colors. We spoke about how the furniture might be rearranged and he had requests which I fill honor.  I doubt he'll be home much over the coming 4 years but when he is here I want it to be the way he asked it to be.

Even before I left for college my mom changed my bedroom into the *guest* bedroom. My much older and married sisters, or our extended family would visit and I was always giving up my bedroom even though our house had 4 bedrooms and I was the only kid still at home. My mom made sure that there was drawer space, closet space, a crib in the corner..... Definitely strange.