Menu

New to this board ~ hello & help!

4ofus

Hi friends, 

We've been hs'ing for 3 years now & the WTM boards have been valuable resources throughout that time.  I haven't been on the AL board before the last couple of days b/c, really, I didn't think we belonged here.  Honestly, I'm still not sure.

I know that both my guys "get" material with few repetitions, generally.  They both are bright, but rounded pretty well.  No *exceptional* gifts per se.

I've looked at talent searches before, but not with much more than curiosity.  

We tested for the first time this week & both boys received 99% age percentile rank on the OLSAT8.  One of them hit the ceiling, the other was close.  That led me to the EPGY site where they took the quicky screening MAT.  

That quicky quiz has been so interesting!  I love that they broke down the results into 3 cognitive skill areas.  It really gives me somewhere to FOCUS.  They both passed the quiz, but I can see strong & weak(er) areas!  I love it! 

So really, my questions today are, 1) what kind of recommended geometry resources are out there for my 11 y/o *bright* kid (this was his low area 9/12)?  Now, he's really not WORKING ahead of his grade level, he might be thinking ahead, but I haven't sorted that out yet.  Please know, I am NOT mathy.  2) What kind of recommended logic resources are out there for my 9 y/o *bright* kid (this was his low area 7/12).  Same story, different kid.

Their overall scores were the same. The differences were in the sub categories (where 1 problem made a big difference!)  & I think that's what excited me so much!  I haven't had that kind of clarity before about their individual strengths/weaknesses.

They're currently doing the SAT10.  They'll finish it tomorrow.  That'll give me a jumping off point from the achievement side of things I guess.  Since they qualify to sit for the EXPLORE, I'm looking forward to that next year.

Anyway, nice to be here (even if I'm not sure I should be), & I look forward to hearing y'all's replies.

Welcome to the AL board!

So really, my questions today are, 1) what kind of recommended geometry resources are out there for my 11 y/o *bright* kid (this was his low area 9/12)?  Now, he's really not WORKING ahead of his grade level, he might be thinking ahead, but I haven't sorted that out yet.  Please know, I am NOT mathy.  2) What kind of recommended logic resources are out there for my 9 y/o *bright* kid (this was his low area 7/12).  Same story, different kid.

[...]

They're currently doing the SAT10.  They'll finish it tomorrow.  That'll give me a jumping off point from the achievement side of things I guess.  Since they qualify to sit for the EXPLORE, I'm looking forward to that next year.

Do you mean logic-stage level geometry, as in pre-high school geometry? If yes, then these threads might be helpful:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/455474-patty-paper-geometry-pre-geometry-for-younger-student/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/454617-whats-next-math-algebra-2-or-geometry-which-geometry/

For logic, again if you are looking at pre-high school level, Critical Thinking Press has some workbooky materials in the Mindbenders and other series that he might enjoy. Prufrock Press publishes similar materials too. We've only used Mindbenders. Perhaps others will chime in with more ideas.

There was a recent thread about Explore being discontinued. You might want to take a look:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499572-explore-being-discontinued-in-2014/

Good luck!

Thanks!  I did mean logic-stage, so you nailed it with your rec's :).  

I've communicated with the talent search & they have made arrangements with ACT to contine using the Explore through at least 2014-2015.  I guess if they're going to use it they'll be able to score it as well, despite what the ACT links say about not being able to support the test past June.  

The out of level testing should give you some information. I found the EXPLORE pretty helpful in realizing just how advanced DD was and that it was OK to let her accelerate. More importantly, it was really helpful for HER-the comparison against kids that much older put it into context for her just how advanced she really was, and that it was not only OK that she didn't think the same way most kids her age did, but that it was expected.

Welcome, by the way!

The out of level testing should give you some information. I found the EXPLORE pretty helpful in realizing just how advanced DD was and that it was OK to let her accelerate.

This was our experience as well. It was like a wake-up call with my middle dd the first time we saw her EXPLORE results, and we made drastic changes because of it.

Through talent search, like Duke TIPS, Northwestern NUMATS, University of Iowa BESTS, etc. Most will let kids without a prior standardized test score take the EXPLORE if the parent/school feels they may qualify.

Personally, so far, the only real benefit of talent search for us has been the EXPLORE-we don't have the live classes close to home, and the online ones haven't been terribly impressive for what they tend to cost.