Menu

Couchless Living Room Ideas

I am just wondering if anyone has done this and I am looking for ideas. 

First, I have a small house and the living room is it as far as large open space. I do not have a family or great room. I do not have a TV or any desire to get one. 

I rearranged my furniture and my living room currently lacks a couch. I am not really a sit on my butt in the living type of person and I am kind of liking all the space in the living room. It looks massive! I am trying to figure out how to fully use the space. I can already tell you if I put a couch in it I will not use it. Though I have been debating on getting http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90214134/#/90214134 for when I have company over night but  I kind of like not having a couch, it makes the place look so much bigger and I can always get an air mattress for company so I am not too worried about it.

I just have no idea how to actually use the space and am not having much luck finding living room ideas that do not revolve around a TV and couch. 

Anyone have any ideas?

We went no couch in our house at first, until my mom gifted us her old beautiful antique couch. We also don't have a TV in the room. We used a combination of the fireplace and low square coffee table as the focal point. The design changed a couple of times. First we had four comfy chair arranged around the table, later we switched to two chairs and a loveseat. Im not great at home decor, so I loved not having to design around a big, awkwardly shaped couch.

What do you usually use the living room for?

That's the thing. I currently do not use it. DS plays with his legos.

I do have a card table that I use for playing board games. Currently it is my garden planning and seed sorting table. But that is not in the living room.

I am not a sit around at home person. I sit and wait for DS at skating and therapies and then sit when I am teaching him but other than that I move.

It doesn't have to be a living room. It could be a home gym. If it's got good light, you could fill it with plants. Make it into a guest room, or a game room, whatever kind of room you wish you had but don't.

That's what we've done. In one house it was a studio for yoga, martial arts, etc. In another house, we used it as a study. It's still evolving in this house...not sure yet, so I'll keep an eye out for ideas!

It doesn't have to be a living room. It could be a home gym. If it's got good light, you could fill it with plants. Make it into a guest room, or a game room, whatever kind of room you wish you had but don't.

I have debated on a home gym, the only way I can sit and read is if I am on a recumbent stationary bike. My room has a reading area and I was considering getting one for there. The light is decent in that I do not have to turn on lights during the day but I learned this year when I was starting my plants that the light is not good enough for plants. I ended up converting a room at my moms for my starter plants. The tomato seedlings I planted grew to half an inch. Hers are several feet. I am rather miffed about this as part of the way I designed my house was to have a large area for plants. 

Guest room really wouldn't work with my floor layout. The living room is walked through to get everywhere. It is literally the center of the house. I have considered a game room, but it isn't big enough for more than one full sized game table plus my budget cannot handle more than one. Though I will admit that I was ogling the basketball arcade at Costco around Christmas.

I am really uncreative when it comes to this type of thing. 

We don't own a couch and only recently got a TV.  We've put the piano, quilt frame, various chairs, a chest, bookcases, a large old phonograph, and other things in various living rooms at different times.  It's never really been a traditional living room in any house we've been in.

Would you be willing to set up extra lights in there for plants?

We used to have a couchless living room.  Like others, there was a low table for focal point, and comfy chairs.  We did have a great "chair and a half" that could work for a couple cuddling or for one person to lounge.  There was a bookshelf (actually on a shelf over an archway type doorway), and a tall thin chest for art supplies.  Off to the side, sort of behind a chair, we had a stereo.  I think that was it.  It's been a while.  

What about keeping the lego stuff in a bin or whatever in that room, and making a seed sorting/catalog type area for you?

We don't have a "normal" living room, either.  No couch, no television.  (Which has occasionally upset a guest who felt it wasn't welcoming that way).

We have a dining room table and chairs, since we mainly use it for a dining room and study area, but we have a lot of extra chairs around the walls and a couple of large folding tables (with pretty tablecloths that coordinate with the wallpaper) that we set up and take down as the use of the room changes.  We have set it up for a twenty person seminar, we have set it up as the main hall for a Hogwarts party, we have set it up for games day for a dozen, and we have had dance parties for a half dozen pre-schoolers. It's very flexible.  Around the outside, we have had book cases, china cabinets and side boards, stereos, a temporary (electric) fireplace, and a family altar.  In a small room, I wouldn't recommend those, though.  ;)

We are also not a "sit around" kind of family, so we find that padded kitchen chairs (and padded folding chairs as backup for large groups) do the trick for us, and they can be put out of the way far more easily than overstuffed chairs.

I hope that helps. 

We don't have a "normal" living room, either.  No couch, no television.  (Which has occasionally upset a guest who felt it wasn't welcoming that way).

our living room has a sofa and chairs - focused on the fireplace.  no tv.  I too once had a guest who was put off by the lack of television in our living room.  (at the time we had one in the family room.) imo: those who are concerned about tv's (or lack thereof) in other people's homes, are too focused on tv.

Playground equipment?

Exercise equipment?

Music room?

Quilting frame?

Art room?

Can you install some growlights to start your plants? Mine don't do well indoors at all.

What is quilting frame?

DS is too big for playground equipment but I did have that when he was little.

Grow lights: Actually, I have part of my kitchen set aside to be a hydroponics garden that I am working on converting into an aquaponics set up and I am saving up to put a 10x40ft lean to greenhouse on the south side of my house. I had just wanted my living room to be the place where I could start my seeds for the garden and possibly pull in a few plants that cannot over winter outside here. I will take a greenhouse instead and try not to be to disappointed.  ^_^

I'd make myself a sweet little library. A couple chairs to sit and read. A table in one corner to sit and work on puzzles, legos, etc...

I actually have a small little library :) When creating the plans for the house a library was something I refused to negotiate on. I actually ended up with a strange kitchen/bedroom layout but by golly I have a library! :) And the master bedroom has enough of a reading nook to hold most of my personal books and room for a chair (it will be a recumbent stationary bike instead of a cushy chair). My library was second only to having my dream laundry/mud room. 

I would imagine if I didn't have a couch and a fireplace (and no TV) then the focal point could be some nice wall art. Pick a wall, decorate it, that's your focal point. Or even art somewhere other than the wall might work?

Yeah, you can make it any type of room you want.

Ok, I have to ask. Where would one put artwork other than a wall? Not that I have any artwork, mind you. My mind is working on this. 

Ok I have a few ideas.

I just cleaned it out and brought in an 8 foot long folding craft table and set it up for Lego's. Added bonus: The table hides the buckets and containers of Lego's. 

I am looking at getting something like

http://www.costco.com/Lifetime%c2%ae-Double-Shot-Arcade-Basketball-System.product.11677476.html

and 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81TX0Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I might be able to fit both of them and the current Lego table in the room.

The only thing in the living room that I have no idea what to do with is a massive horse.

http://www.bellasavvy.net/archives/28609

Scroll down and look at the picture of the kid on the horse. I am 5'2" and the horse I have is big enough that I can on it and my feet can barely touch the ground. It is cute and the saddle and bridle come off. DS never plays with it but it is the only non Lego toy I have for young guests. 

My living room has a piano, four bookshelves, a guinea pig cage, transparent boxes containing Legos, my boys' study desks and a single size sofa bed. My kids artwork are in their own storage boxes.

I have a reasonably big area in the middle of my living room for my boys to play.

What a great idea. Since dh moved out, our living room only gets use when people visit. I'll be getting rid of my sofa probably next year and would love to just get a loveseat. I might consider a chaise or just throw up a hammock, but I'd like someplace for visitors. 

I'll be listening in because it feels like a wasted room right now - we already have a exercise setup in the classroom.