Menu

if you had to make....

ProudGrandma

Banana Pudding. But you must use the official Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk recipe.

I make this regardless of the age and gender of the people who will eat it. :-)

I saw a great pintrest (I think) post about mini banana puddings-- they took a v.wafer and piped pudding on it, added one slice of banana and a squirt of whipped cream--- so cute, one handed and the cookie doesn't get all mushy.. 

This Strawberry Cream Trifle is delicious and very pretty if you have a trifle dish or big glass bowl. I've made it many times for group meals and never have leftovers. I've had success tweaking the recipe--no almonds, vanilla pudding, all fresh strawberries when they are in season and super-sweet. I like the idea of using the stabilized whipped cream to replace the Cool Whip.

A dessert that always gets requested is Dirt Pie. I use Joe-Joe's cookies from Trader Joe's. If I have time, I'll make the pudding from scratch. This is another recipe that would be great with the stabilized whipped cream. You can layer this into individual cups or serve it in a large pan.

A cookie platter with a few different choices would be nice. I would do one classic (chocolate chip), one light/fruity (Raspberry Strippers are good), and one decadent/rich (Chocolate Crinkles).

Strawberry shortcake is the first thing that popped into my mind.  I'd leave some strawberries and whipped cream separate for those who don't eat gluten.

We buy or make meringue cookies and use those to make mini-pavlovas. (Not quite the same as a real pavlova, but good in a pinch.)   If you had some, then non-gluten eating folks could just add whipped cream and strawberries and have a lovely dessert. :)

• 4 weeks later...

One time I brought Yankee Salad to a church potluck. I brought it with older people in mind because it's very soft and people like my mom have trouble chewing for medical reasons (not saying 50yr olds have trouble eating but if it's a concern for anyone attending this would be a good dish). But for other church potlucks I have brought various things.

I'm trying to find a recipe online that looks like the one I made. A lady I know makes it at family gatherings at my in-laws, which is how I learned about it. But hers has small curds, fruit and a dry jello packet on top. No pasta like the one I saw online.

Ok here's one example: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/kf0ed974/yankee-salad.html

We have made different variations... you can change ingredients/jello flavor. I leave jello as topping and then add more fruit on top as decoration (the recipe says mix it all in). I attached a less than beautiful version I made lol.

We call that pink salad! My mom used to make that and take it to church potlucks, etc. Obviously it always had pink jello in it. And is VERY easy to throw together (We used fruit cocktail drained of the syrup)

Banana Pudding. But you must use the official Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk recipe.

I make this regardless of the age and gender of the people who will eat it. :-)

I always make Paula Deen's Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/not-yo-mamas-banana-pudding-recipe.html It's just too decadent for my family to finish alone, so it's a perfect sharing dish. A little goes a long way.

These scones: http://principessabeautyblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/delicious-homemade-scones-la-julia-child.html

Served with fresh sliced strawberries and freshly whipped cream with a little sour cream and powdered sugar mixed in.

The scones are from Julia Child and are the best things you will ever make. Instead of using a cookie cutter, pat the dough gently into two circles and cut each into six wedges like a pizza.