Menu

Recommended Spelling Programs

I am currently looking for a spelling program to go along with our R&S phonics, reading and English. The spelling was so awful when we tried it with R&S so we'll be using something different. I bought AAS and was impressed with the approach to teaching spelling but unimpressed with the cost and all the fluff that it involved. I can't keep up with it lol

I've looked at How To Teach Spelling and Phonetic Zoo, each running into less then mediocre reviews. 

Are there any others you would recommend to me? 

Next year I'll be working with my K, 2nd and 3rd grader. 

Thanks in advance!

I don't recommend Spelling by Sound and Structure until fourth grade. From that point on, it's my favorite traditional spelling product. Its closest competitor is Modern Curriculum Press's Spelling Workout, followed *very* closely by BJUP's spelling.

My *favorite* spelling is Spalding.

I'd look at Apples & Pears. A&P and Phonetic Zoo are my 2 favorite spelling curricula. The author of PZ doesn't recommend it until 4th grade, anyway, and to do AAS 1-3 before that. 

Other options: Spelling Power, Spelling Workout, Calvert Spelling, Sequential Spelling

I've decided to go with Spelling You See by Karen Holinga. You can see it on the math u see website. I saw it at the home school convention in Cincinnati and I think it looks great. Totally in line with my philosophy on spelling.

We are trying Building Spelling Skills next year for third grade.  This year, we used the McGuffey Speller, but my son asked for a workbook.  The Building Spelling Skills looked to have more advanced lists, and he looked at samples with me, and this was the only one he didn't say, "That's too easy" with.  He liked the activities too.  He thought this one would be good, and I agreed.