Menu

University model school for high school (cross-posted)

I'm curious if anyone has done this or can share what they've heard about their local UMS schools.

My teens have their plans pretty much set through the last one's graduation, but I have to be poking around for future employment on an ongoing basis. This would work with my current part-time gigs too.

They currently have K-8th, but have added one grade per year and are getting their own building within the next few years.  They are accredited with both UMS and the regional accreditation authority.  Many of their curriculum choices are classical, and I know several of the teachers from other homeschooling activities.  From all that I've heard and what I saw, they are doing an outstanding job.

Obviously it is not "pure" homeschooling, but it certainly is an option with that flavor. 

Everyone I know who goes to one of the UMS schools really enjoys it.  Sure it's not pure homeschool and you do lose some of your freedom to choose curriculum, but it is a fantastic option for some students and families.  If one of my children wanted to experience school I would not hesitate to send them.

They are wildly popular where I live (Atlanta). People treat them as private schools, though, which is what they are. I am not saying that is a bad thing, especially when regular private schools are $14K and up. Way up. But I cringe a bit when I hear parents call themselves homeschoolers when they really are homework helpers. I see what some of you go through to truly homeschool HS, and I homeschooled several HS-level courses, and UM parents are not doing the same thing. Still, they are a great option for a lot of people.

They are wildly popular where I live (Atlanta). People treat them as private schools, though, which is what they are. I am not saying that is a bad thing, especially when regular private schools are $14K and up. Way up. But I cringe a bit when I hear parents call themselves homeschoolers when they really are homework helpers. I see what some of you go through to truly homeschool HS, and I homeschooled several HS-level courses, and UM parents are not doing the same thing. Still, they are a great option for a lot of people.

In the younger grades the parents are given specific instructions for each day, which makes it more like homeschooling, but then they gradually put the child in charge with the parent monitoring and giving help only as needed. 

Given that many of them are accredited with experienced teachers, it presents themselves as a private school.  In my state, parents registered there don't file homeschooling paperwork, and are considered parents with a child in private school by the state.  

In contrast, those involved in Classical Conversations (unaccredited with "tutors" for legal reasons), are told to file as homeschoolers.

If I registered my children for all online classes through one of the private accredited schools (not a charter through the public school), I would still be considered a homeschooling parent as well, but I've heard that some states rule differently on that.

Obviously the line between what is homeschooling and what is not is blurring quite a bit.  I agree though that UMS isn't homeschooling in the sense that most of us would say though.