Menu

Math Mammoth & Beast Academy?

Mom2OandE

Would it be too much to use both? Our dyslexic DS is behind but progressing faster now. I think he would like BA. Would it be something you could do once or twice a week in addition to MM or is it more of a full program in itself?

Thank you.

Beast Academy is still being published, but it is (going to be) a complete math curriculum for 2nd-5th grades. Each grade has four sections/parts: A, B, C, D. I understand that they are to be done in order. The people behind Beast Academy started publishing with 3rd grade (100% done) and now they are putting out 4th grade (50% done) and will do 5th then cycle back around to publish 2nd grade.

Well, we're kind of doing them both at the moment, but I'm not sure how that will pan out in the long run.  Morgan finished MM2 at the end of March, so we started BA 3A.  We work on it most days, and sometimes she'll blow through 4 or 5 pages, but sometimes she only gets through one and some days, when energy is very low, I don't pull it out at all.  We have MM 3 lessons printed out in a binder to fall back on for those days.

I expect that for next year at least, we'll do a combination of the two.  All of BA 3, and MM as needed for practice, reinforcement, and for low-energy days.  I like the thoroughness of MM and I like that it has plenty of practice.  It's good for those days when you just want to plug through your math and get 'er done.  BA makes us . . . soar.  I wouldn't want to give it up, but you can't be at that level every day, KWIM?  At least we can't.

Anyway, long story short, the plan is to use BA as our main math program and supplement it with MM as needed.  I don't think either will fill up a full year, but it would be too much to try and do all of both, so that's the way I think we'll roll with it.

They're definitely both full programs.  I think they could work great together, but if you have a ds who isn't a speedy worker, I would be hesitant to try to do them both full on.  If you're using MM now and it's working, I would say stick with it and maybe try out some of BA's sections on the side and don't worry about doing every problem or every section.  Pick and choose, skip around, keep it supplemental.

We are doing both now. DD3 (9 year old) is in 5B of MM and 4B of BA. We usually do MM for a few months until we need a break, then switch over to BA and do whatever book has recently been published. We're obviously ahead in MM, but BA still provides some challenge and a different way of looking at things. My daughter is pretty mathy and a quick worker, for what that's worth. We do math year-round.

Yep, that's the key, isn't it?  If a kid works fast and you do math year-round, you can fit both in - otherwise you'll be doing a couple of grade levels of math each year -  but if you are doing 180 days of math and only doing a page or two a day, I wouldn't try to do both.

Yep. We're doing MM3A and BA3A, and going slow, about 1 page of MM a day and a page or two of BA. It will take us a while to get done with either, but we're starting it ridiculously early, so I'm not worried about the pace at all. 

I only added in MM because CP was still shaky on computation and mental math, but drill sheets are useless for him. MM3A has been very helpful. BA keeps things fun and interesting. I don't know how long we'll do both, everything is always under constant re-evaluation here. 

Unless you (the OP) are in the same situation...I don't think doing both is necessary.

MM and BA are both complete programs but stylistically, they're completely different.  BA introduces that AoPS format of wrestling with the topics first, then fill in what you don't know through practice.  MM is a mastery program that builds and builds until mastery is complete.  Our experience here is that the kid who likes and does well with MM doesn't like the format of BA and vice versa.  I tried to combine them but it wasn't successful for us.  My daughters loved MM and moved effortlessly through it.  They both hated BA and found it silly.  Ironically, one of those girls went on to the AoPS sequence after MM and there is no turning back.  She loves it!!  My son started in MM, got quickly bored with the format, even on new topics.  I switched him to full time BA and he's fallen in love with math.  While we definitely approach math from many angles using various resources, we didn't find BA and MM to be complimentary here.

Can someone go into more depth on exactly how they use both?

We are finishing up mm2 chapter 9 this week. I'm not doing the last chapter which is  beginning multiplication (even though he can handle it) because he's ready for the formal school year to be done. So we are reviewing all summer and then doing beast 3a starting in August. I have all the MM though. But I have the tendency to make him do more problems then he needs. As of right now beast was going to be our main and then mm will be Fridays, tests if I need it, and games that are in the intro. 

Do you do the chapter in mm that goes with the chapter in beast at the same time? If so why? Or you start at the beginning of both and they don't match up, is that ok too? 

I use both. I don't try to match them up at all. We do a page or two of MM per day and then work on BA together. Sometimes we do multiple pages, other times only a few problems.

MM is non-negotiable while BA is an extra. My dd loves BA though so I'm glad I added it.

That's my plan too. DD8 loves comics, and is doing better in math. She has made great strides in math our first year into HSing. So I figure have her do some MM3A then some BA. DD6 is a mathy girl (certainly does not get this from me!) and I think I will have her join in on the fun.

I don't try and match them up.  We finished MM2 and started BA 3A.  On the un-BA days, we do a chapter from MM3 - the multiplication concept chapter.  Coincidentally we are doing that beside the Skip Counting chapter in BA3A, which dovetails nicely, but I didn't plan it that way, I just picked that chapter because my dd loves multiplication and wanted to do more.

We will start 3rd grade (after a short break this summer for camps and vacation) with MM chapter 1 for review of the basics of addition, subtraction, and mental math, and chapter 6 for place value up to thousands.  Then we'll jump back into BA and move through that.  We'll skip the MM chapters on geometry and measurement, since I like how BA covers them better.  We'll do the MM chapters on time and money, since BA doesn't cover those topics.  For the topics that both programs cover, we'll do BA first and only do MM if she needs the extra practice.  

Can someone go into more depth on exactly how they use both?

We are finishing up mm2 chapter 9 this week. I'm not doing the last chapter which is beginning multiplication (even though he can handle it) because he's ready for the formal school year to be done. So we are reviewing all summer and then doing beast 3a starting in August. I have all the MM though. But I have the tendency to make him do more problems then he needs. As of right now beast was going to be our main and then mm will be Fridays, tests if I need it, and games that are in the intro.

Do you do the chapter in mm that goes with the chapter in beast at the same time? If so why? Or you start at the beginning of both and they don't match up, is that ok too?

I make no attempt to align them. We do BA when we need a break from MM (typically between MM books). We do SM CWP in a similar way, so a school year might look like this: 3 months of MM, a month of BA, a few weeks of CWP, then back through the cycle again.

I don't try and match them up.  We finished MM2 and started BA 3A.  On the un-BA days, we do a chapter from MM3 - the multiplication concept chapter.  Coincidentally we are doing that beside the Skip Counting chapter in BA3A, which dovetails nicely, but I didn't plan it that way, I just picked that chapter because my dd loves multiplication and wanted to do more.

We will start 3rd grade (after a short break this summer for camps and vacation) with MM chapter 1 for review of the basics of addition, subtraction, and mental math, and chapter 6 for place value up to thousands.  Then we'll jump back into BA and move through that.  We'll skip the MM chapters on geometry and measurement, since I like how BA covers them better.  We'll do the MM chapters on time and money, since BA doesn't cover those topics.  For the topics that both programs cover, we'll do BA first and only do MM if she needs the extra practice.  

We're using Zaccaro for those topics.  Thanks for that rec last year Rose. :thumbup:  We've had success supplementing with the Zaccaro books with the kids that like BA, as the formats are similarly playful.

We're using Zaccaro for those topics.  Thanks for that rec last year Rose. :thumbup:  We've had success supplementing with the Zaccaro books with the kids that like BA, as the formats are similarly playful.

Oh, that's a good idea! My oldest loves Zaccaro Real World Algebra.  I have Challenge Math too.  Are you using that one, or Primary Challenge?  They are fun in a similar way to BA.

Oh, that's a good idea! My oldest loves Zaccaro Real World Algebra. I have Challenge Math too. Are you using that one, or Primary Challenge? They are fun in a similar way to BA.

So far, only Primary, as we're still in the BA3 series, but that new Zaccaro book looks good too. Now we're just hoping AoPS keeps putting new BA books out so we can keep pace. I really don't know what we'll do if we run out of Beast.

Our experience here is that the kid who likes and does well with MM doesn't like the format of BA and vice versa.

Exactly same here.  Worked for one boy, the one who loathed MM.  Didn't work for the kid who liked MM.

I haven't had that problem at all. I use them both precisely because they are so different. I want my kids to be used to working with math in more than one way.

I don't try to align them at all. I just use one as a break from the other. All three of my kids have done fine with both although for my oldest, it is very much a review.

I haven't had that problem at all. I use them both precisely because they are so different. I want my kids to be used to working with math in more than one way.

Yeah, I get that.  I just didn't like the tears that the opposite problem caused for each kid.

If I was to use BA can I use the chapters out of order or does it affect the story line?

There's a loose story line...  but it's pretty loose.  So I say not really.

You could read the whole thing first just for the story then revisit the parts you want to focus on by rereading them and doing some of the problems from the workbook.

If I was to use BA can I use the chapters out of order or does it affect the story line?

The story is in the guidebooks. The teaching is in the practice books. You could read all four guides in a week to get the story and see the big picture, then use only those sections of the practice books that you need. The corresponding practice pages are listed in each section of the guidebook. And the layout of the practice book is really user friendly.